And what did we buy today?

Nezzy, can you gain access to the roof and show us some pictures of how it was mounted? I get to see some real disasters out there from companies that refuse to hire qualified people. Your statute of limitations prevents you from going back on them after two years and due diligence is the best way to show you are careful about protecting your investment.

Here we are 9.4 cents per, for the first 1,350 kw/h per month then 14 cents anything over that.
What is it where you guys are?

When you calculate the total effective rate (electricity and all the nickel and dime charges the utility (Toronto Hydro) charges in the name of "transparancy" like a 25 odd dollar "Customer Charge" (they send you a bill and charge you 25$ for the privilege)) is almost 20 cents / kWh.

Because of this f***ery, One Kilowatt Hour of electricity will cost 30,12$, 2 kWh will cost 30,25$ etc.

Very pleased to have moved here when electric was included in the rent :) I save like 200$ / month.

Last edited:
One Kilowatt Hour of electricity will cost 30,12$, 2 kWh will cost 30,25$ etc.
I'm not really sure how to translate this. Any chance of doing it something like I did?
I read yours as saying you pay 30 dollars and 12 cents for a kw/h of electricity which we know is not true. Do you mean 0.3012 dollars per kw/h?

Nezzy, can you gain access to the roof and show us some pictures of how it was mounted? I get to see some real disasters out there from companies that refuse to hire qualified people. Your statute of limitations prevents you from going back on them after two years and due diligence is the best way to show you are careful about protecting your investment.

I will when it is installed. When I said I bought it today I meant I wrote a cheque and signed a contract. The company has quite a few installations locally, province-wide, and nationally. The contract has a lot of outs if I am dissatisfied, but I guess we all know how these things go. It is certainly not my area of expertise. Anything in particular I should look for when inspecting their work?

It would be true if I paid for electric, and only used 1kWh of power in the billing period. If I used zero electricity, my bill would still be 30$.

Yeah the base charge here is $21.66+HST minus some sort of provincial rebate, frankly I don't know how that is calculated but seems to discount my bill by about $11/billing period (generally 2 months). That base charge is also per billing period, so $10.83/month.

Still, I look forward to selling electricity back to NS Power.

Had a guy at a local bike shop tell me last year that there's only 2 or 3 factories on the planet still manufacturing bike innertubes these days. If that's true, perhaps something similar is happening with tires - would help explain the QC slip maybe.

I pumped up the old bike tires to 100-120 PSI with a car foot pump to handle my weight, went inside to do something else. A hour or two passed and I heard a gunshot. I went outside and saw no one. The next day, I attended the old bike again and saw the tire with a blow out. The tires were a bit old and in need of replacing. This bike had inner tubes like all my bikes over the years.

Nez, when done, take pics. Especially around where the panels are mounted to the roof. Those mean everything. Leave the evaluation to us. If there’s any chance to ask them for drawings ahead of time, great. If not, tell them you have a roofing inspector coming by after to have a look.
I’ll start packing my bags. Can’t stay long but looking forward to meeting you. I’ll need a ride from the airport.

Sounds good, but you would not be impressed with my roof *before* the panels go up. (The house originally had a flat roof and someone added a low-pitch peaked roof over that at some point. For that matter, I have it on good authority that this house and the one behind it were once one shed, before this area was populated. Then when the neighborhood was built they cut the shed in half and dragged the halves apart and made 2 houses. The walls are on 4x4 rough sawn posts on 24" centers, you know, like a shed.)

I pumped up the old bike tires to 100-120 PSI with a car foot pump to handle my weight, went inside to do something else. A hour or two passed and I heard a gunshot. I went outside and saw no one. The next day, I attended the old bike again and saw the tire with a blow out. The tires were a bit old and in need of replacing. This bike had inner tubes like all my bikes over the years.
I had the same thing happen many years ago. Unfortunately the bike was in the basement of my apartment building! Scared my neighbors half to death - I still feel kinda bad about that, heh. But man those things can be LOUD!

Does it cost less than regular? If not, why are you buying water? Especially when you say

Bang for the buck I say. :smash:
Here, the national regular grade light beers (4%) cost more than the local high alcohol budget beers (8%).
Beer is a complicated issue over here and it's graded according to the procents and thus also taxed differently:

Beer 0,5% to 2,8% is freed from alcohol taxes.

Beer 2,8% and above (often referred to as folköl- folk-beer) has a tax of SEK 2.02 per litre per %.
So a 1/2-litre can of 7% beer is taxed by 0,5*7*2,02 = SEK 7,07

Beer stronger that 5,6% are sold in state-run liquor stores only.

The lighter beer (I pick 2,8%) is maybe half the price of slightly stronger, 3,5% and they don't differ in taste really. Besides I just want to gulp down my food with some brew and cheaper beer works perfect.

(I don't really like water ...)

And I know the anecdote about American beer and making love in a canoe ...

Have to add that a pack of 18 1/2-litre 2,8% standard beer costs SEK 69 or about $8 (+ $2 "pant" the cost of the aluminium cans, a sum you retrieve when deposit the cans empty - you say that more elegant)

Last edited:
Some MP40 Germanium transistors to experiment with, and some more modern KT315 and 361.

The MP40 arrived yesterday, and testing them they fall into 3 groups:

Low gain (40 to 100Hfe) low leakage (10uA to 100uA)
Low gain (40 to 100 Hfe), more leakage (over 100uA, Vceo and Vces greater)
Silly gain (300 Hfe), insane seeming leakage (0.5 to 1mA)

Hopefully these aren't all duds!

I had the same thing happen many years ago. Unfortunately the bike was in the basement of my apartment building! Scared my neighbors half to death - I still feel kinda bad about that, heh. But man those things can be LOUD!

I would MUCH rather have it happen at home. Nothing like that sinking feeling you get after just changing a flat a couple miles back, and you start down a half mile long 10% grade and your wheel suddenly starts going thump thump thump thump. And you wonder if you’re going to get it stopped in time.

Sounds good, but you would not be impressed with my roof *before* the panels go up. (The house originally had a flat roof and someone added a low-pitch peaked roof over that at some point. For that matter, I have it on good authority that this house and the one behind it were once one shed, before this area was populated. Then when the neighborhood was built they cut the shed in half and dragged the halves apart and made 2 houses. The walls are on 4x4 rough sawn posts on 24" centers, you know, like a shed.)

Or perhaps a *barn*. The wife actually wants a barndominium when we build on the new property - where the horses occupy what is normally the “garage” area. Physically separated from the living quarters only by a breezeway. Around here we get RAIN all winter - occasionally freezing but always wet and muddy. We’re sick of living like that in a traditional neighborhood (and the mare doesn’t appreciate it either). A solar installation is desired, but will depend on money. Probably on a flat bed trailer that can be optimally positioned throughout the year, and moved under cover with the threat of hail. Won’t have to worry about it causing the roof to leak.

Nez, when done, take pics. Especially around where the panels are mounted to the roof. Those mean everything. Leave the evaluation to us. If there’s any chance to ask them for drawings ahead of time, great. If not, tell them you have a roofing inspector coming by after to have a look.
I’ll start packing my bags. Can’t stay long but looking forward to meeting you. I’ll need a ride from the airport.

Cal I fear that my previous response, out of embarrassment at your generosity, did not express the gratitude that I feel at this generous offer. I would be thrilled if you flew across the country (I know you have roots around here) to do me a favor like that! And of course I would look forward to meeting and feeding you.

I will demand drawings as soon as I meet with the installation team (which I hope should be next week), and I will also tell them that I will have a roofing inspector coming to look over the installation when it is done (which is probably a good idea no matter what you do).

You never need to worry about transport to or from Halifax Stanfield airport (YHZ) unless I am in Montreal.

I got a copy (RE) of Dave Brubeck Time Out.

What an excellent record. It really shows off my self designed* all triode amplification chain.

*Of course I had help from some very smart people like GoatGuy, MaxHifi, Tubelab, The late DF86 and AndrewT and many more I'm forgetting to include.

EDIT: It's vinyl and I bought it from Amazon.

I also also have a copy of Heavy Weather by Weather Report on the way here now. Should be here tonight.

Edit2: It's here!

Last edited: