And what did we buy today?

Today I bought a new TV, a 43" 4K LG. My beloved 32" 720p Sony went dark last month, and the repair guy replaced the HV regulator board and something else and it still didn't work. He was running out of things to replace and I was running out of patience, and it was soon going to cost more than a better replacement. When I bought the Sony it cost more than I paid for the LG today. I hope it lasts as long.

Today I bought a new TV, a 43" 4K LG. My beloved 32" 720p Sony went dark last month, and the repair guy replaced the HV regulator board and something else and it still didn't work. He was running out of things to replace and I was running out of patience, and it was soon going to cost more than a better replacement. When I bought the Sony it cost more than I paid for the LG today. I hope it lasts as long.

We’re not a big TV household. Literally the spot is big enough for a 37” TV. Only thing is all the TVs now suffer from dimension bloat - mainly to fit or justify the 4K/8K price tag. Not looking forward to the day it needs replacing! I’d be quite happy with a high quality TV at that size but most seem to start at 50+”

You are not wrong about the bloat. At 32" 720p was all the picture I needed, I still found it startlingly good until it popped. To appreciate HD you need a bigger screen. It is also true that today I could have bought another 32" 1080p for a lot less money, but I was kind of feeling "in for a kopek, in for a ruble", and having tasted the HD dragon it's hard to turn back... Also, the 32"/1080p TVs were mostly off-brands and seemed cheaply built, though of course if they weren't cheaply built they would cost more than the 50" screens.

Today we bought a tv for our daughter, hope it’s a good one, my wife found it on sale. She seems to have a great knack for that though.

What’s worse than the 55” plus screens as a new normal is that we can’t see a lot of the text that’s used at times, is minuscule on our screens. We typically have 32” as it fits well, not about to get anything larger anytime soon. The main one is a Toshiba that was the smallest HD they offered in 2005.

Last edited:
Actually a few days ago I ordered two sets of "slide" switches of the kind found in the MOOG Concertmate MG-1, but for another DIY synthesizer.

And today I ordered:
SN74LS02, SN74LS93, SN74121, LM79L05, L78M05CV, LM748, BF244C

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 123
Only thing is all the TVs now suffer from dimension bloat - mainly to fit or justify the 4K/8K price tag.

As with IC chips there is a certain optimum size (for cost purposes) for the individual pixels in an LCD display. Smaller pixels can be made, but at a higher cost, due primarily to a lower yield. The optimum pixel size results in a 27 to 32 inch size for a 1080 TV panel. Smaller TV's are usually 720 or priced higher than a 32 inch TV.

The minimum size for a 4K panel results in a 40 to 43 inch TV. 50 inch 4K TV's or often cheaper than the 40's and 43's. I have one of each, and neither are for watching TV. I am seeing what I type here now on a Hisense 43 inch 4K TV that I got at Sams club 5 years ago for $229.

3 years ago I splurged and got a 40 inch Samsung HDR 4K TV for the PC that I use for editing videos. It was $269 on Black Friday. I would rather have a 32 inch 4K screen, but I have never seen a 32 inch 4K TV, and computer monitors in that format cost more than my whole PC setup.

Most modern PC's will recognize a TV on the HDMI port and not try to feed it a resolution that it can't eat. Some older PC's that use the CPU's internal video may not work well with a TV as the primary screen. In both my setups I use a 24 or 27 inch computer monitor for the primary screen and the TV is the second monitor. That way I can have the schematic on one monitor and the PC board on the TV when I'm doing a PCB layout.

Didn't buy anything today, but I picked up a cheap pair of Klipsch RB-15...

I found a pair of those that were called RB-51, had a strong blaring midrange, and was just about to give them away since they were free. After some playing around, I was able to tame them a bit and use them with a tpa3116 Bluetooth amp inside.

Today we bought some take out food to celebrate the ending of the work week, and some moss preventative stuff for the roof.

The fermentation process is about to conclude here and I will soon be able to try out my hotsauce!

Same here!

Not today, but a few months back I bought an S20fe.
I had various cheaper Samsung, ending with an S8+.

I wasn't sure the S20 wasn't a step down in quality, until I discovered the macro lens on the camera.

Now I can read all those tiny IC markings without a flood lamp and magnifier!

Luckily for me, they had the "other" colour in stock, a metallic navy blue.