And what did we buy today?

pair of Fostex FF85WK from Don

Attachments

• FE3B4518-1F86-46FC-B715-BCE2295CD706.jpeg
    FE3B4518-1F86-46FC-B715-BCE2295CD706.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 107
Dave D loves ‘em and it’s been years since I was brave enough to try Fostex again. My hearing has had some time to deteriorate so I may no longer find the treble too hot. A chance to play with Fostex is expected to be a pleasant trip down memory lane, to the days when Fostex was in vogue on the forum. I miss those days.

Certain vagueness? Over? Tell me it ain't so! :)

Depending on how high you are taking the woofers you may be forced to use several smaller drivers. For low frequency work, my best success has been with 10" drivers in combination, or single or dual 15" or 18" drivers of much higher quality that C-V drivers. The larger drivers must be rolled off lower of course! Every good system was an electronically crossed over with the amplifier directly driving the driver(s).

I found that 12" woofers were just an unhappy size. Too slow to cross over very high, and too close in price and box size to a 15" that out performed it. 8" drivers are also very good in groups.

-Chris

My Advent Maestro's use a 10" each.
When they rotted out I replaced them with a nice, non-rotting, and more robust driver that "digs even lower" and been pleased ever since.

Hers is to hoping you beat Elsa with that generator job.

I have always done things out of order in my life, like becoming an electrical engineer, then getting an engineering degree. In this case I lived in Florida for 62 years, then retired and moved 1200 miles north.

In any normal year we would have arrived at the time share on Captiva Island in Florida yesterday, pretty much where Elsa is aimed, due there on Tuesday. We didn't get to go this year, so we should be pretty much out of Elsa's range.

Weekly power outages!, are you sure it's not your power amps?

The only amps I have been using in months are a 4 watt guitar amp and a 15 WPC UNSET. We had an unusually long and snowy winter last year. That brought some serious tree growth now. The foliage on the trees is thicker than I can remember, thick enough to kill all cell service here even without rain. So far every power outage has been blamed on "tree contact."

We have had three over night power outages this year. The 16 year old big generator died during the first. A "new" carb should arrive from Amazon today. For $17 I don't expect much but all I should really need is the gaskets, and maybe the float or valve.

I have a similar looking device - the B&K 4222 in pascal green, it is easier to say 'where's the weber?' than where's the anechoic chamber?

I knew the Antipodes were advanced when it came to the BBQ. Heck, some people don’t even use a meat thermometer, but you have a test lab at your disposal for ensuring that perfect steak :worship:

the BBQ.

:

The first BBQ restaurant, wasn't a restaurant.

Twas a vacant lot, on Banks street,

In Kansas City.

Early in the morning, Henry Perry, would dig a hole,

Toss in some lumber, set it on fire.

Once that was burning well,

He would place the dead critter parts,

On the fire. With his sauce.

Then cover the whole thing with dirt.

About noon, every thing was ready.

Wrapped in newspaper, for 25 cents .

---------------------------------------------

Looks like some of the details,

Have been removed, from wiki, >

Henry Perry (restaurateur - Wikipedia)

Biography of Henry Perry (1875-1940), Restaurateur | KC History

Last edited:
Tube amp chassis (big) from Hammond. Pig steel because it will be my prototyping monster chassis (ie it will end up like Frankenstein in a few years).
WIMA FKP1 caps and MKP caps
IEC socket, filter, switch and fuse all-in-one.

With this I can get moving. I still need to source a transformer from the UK but like everything this is a slow burner.