And what did we buy today?

Crazy $ for a dryer. Washer pricing. Iirc I bought a whirlpool Maytag for half what you paid. I would never buy Asian appliances, heard way to many stories of failure, expensive to service. Have to say that even the new dry did not heat properly straight out of the box. It was one of AC line quick connects just hanging there unplugged, after I took the back panel off, amazing, working okay for few years now just fine.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a Lucky Goldstar. Generally a really good product line.

I have really bad luck with Bosch (complete garbage as far as I'm concerned), My Maytag fridge was also expensive, and really hasn't been an ambassador for quality either.

I have an excellent GE gas stove, and a couple wonderful Miele appliances. Should have checked Miele - didn't think to look. Generally, over the years most of the great North American brands I had have been deep disappointments (except for a Viking Microwave). So I asked some friends in the appliance business and they all recommended LG.

Stupid things are all wifi connected these days. Why? All they need to do is buzz when they are done. Anyway, I guess I get to experience a modern appliance that is basically a heater connected to a fan at its heart.

It gets installed tomorrow - wish me lucK!

Bought a pair of Paradigm Titan v1s off the local auction site, they were relatively cheap, reviews looked promising and I needed a little hit [emoji28].

They're nothing to look at, but the bass is so effortless I could hardly believe they only have 6.5" woofers, response is well balanced at all levels, and they have really nice imaging (even set up on their side, just a little toe in, as I plonked them. No fussing at all). Can see why these were a best seller in their day.

If they weren't so big (and a bit ugly, they've seen better days and the grilles don't come off) they'd be contenders to replace the Missions in the living room. As it stands they will be staying put in the study for now.

Bought a small NADY 4 channel mixer off ebay, $15. Installed a NADY transmitter I happened to have, part of a set from a yard sale - so now I have a 9V powered mixer transmitter!

Lets me sit out on the deck and play without having to move the Ampeg BA-115 bass amp (It's heavy...two person carry) all the way out there. 3 electric instruments and a mic - instead of just one.

I didn't mean I had to drink the entire thing (26 oz) in one sitting. I have done that before and ended up with alcohol poisoning. I don't recommend it. Can't drink Rye to this day. It was straight of course.

that’s why I can’t drink Gin too much either

and whilst I do like rum, that Pussers Royal Navy stuff sure is rough, no wonder they beat Napoleon, they were fighting for better rum!

Nothing wrong with a cold beer on a hot day

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bought a Tektronix X-Y display unit.

Why? To stick beside my tuner so I can examine the multi-path in the signal. Its a larger display than the tuners with scopes have, and it is also calibrated so that I could read signal strength and bandwidth (depending on the tuner).

I was just going to use a 'scope tube, but after thinking about the power supply, case and deflection amps, it was cheaper to just buy a display. I had to wait until I found one up cheap.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,
You're pretty limited in space often. A scope in X-Y mode is fine but pretty large.

This is sitting in my living room beside a ReVox B261 tuner. I simply can't fit an entire oscilloscope in there. An LCD 'scope is an option, but that would be more expensive and the display looks a bit weird compared to a good old CRT. This one is a Tektronix 605. It's a waste of a great display, but it fits and will look half decent while doing the job I want it to do.

-Chris