And what did we buy today?

The gear changes are much faster and firmer, I get a gear indicator in D and S.
It locks up quicker inn all gears and let me push the pedal much harder without downshifting. Now I get to use all that diesel torque.
Before, the transmission acted like I had a petrol engine and tried to get in to high revs as soon as I touched the throttle. Now it stays in the current gear and starts pulling hard instead.

I don't like automatic transmissions and was very annoyed by the way this gearbox behaved. I was left with two options: sell the car or do a MT conversion. After the xHP flash I can actually live with the handicap tranny. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_154555.jpg
    IMG_20210212_154555.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I've never owned an automatic that was electronically controlled, but I have driven a BMW with flappy paddles. It was alright, but no substitute for the clutch :) Although, if you load it up first it's not too bad (brake stand).
Speaking of clutch, I'm going to have to replace it soon.
It's finally starting to slip once in a while at full throttle. Not bad though, 240000kms on it :)

If you want your new clutch to last longer, remove the CDV (clutch delay valve). It's installed to protect the drivetrain from bad drivers.
If you release the cutch quickly, it causes a delay so the fluid slowly flows out of the slave cylinder.
During quick gear changes, the clutch will slip a little before fully engaging.

Remove this and regain full control over your clutch. :)
I have removed it from my 118d. It has almost 220k on the meter and the clutch is still going strong.