And what did we buy today?

In what may be the tail wagging the dog, i got a new cartridge for my just completed Pass Pearl 2, built standard at 55 dB of gain.. My Ortolan 2M Red was overloading it occasionally, and I figured I was due an upgrade anyway. After looking around for a match for my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, I went with a new Grado Opus 3, a moving iron model. I settled on the 1 mV output version, since the Pearl 2 has so much gain and I can see myself at some point upgrading the TT and going for an MC. It arrives Friday. I was encouraged when I saw that the Schiit Sol came with the high-output version of the Opus 3 as one of two pre-loaded cartridges.Eager to hear it.

Nothing yet, but I am back to looking at property.

I found 4.5 acres with an asking price of just under 50K. Unfortunately there is not enough info to find it on the Tennessee Property Assessors web site.

I need to see where it is, what is around it, etc before it is worth looking at.

Sometimes Zillow and such web sites really lack sufficient info on the property they advertise.

Don't know what it's like elsewhere, but generally in Canada, and even more pronounced in a hot market like here, you need a realtor, because the best properties move quick, quicker than the listing goes public on the main listing service.
Ah real estate. Just signed a contract for fencing on our rental property last week, and now looking at roofing quotes this week.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I signed the roofing contract recently. I feel your pain.

Hi Joe,
No, I want to use it on the bench. I saw kits for $15 and no case. I need to open the box, test it and install it on the bench. I recently needed something like the old B&K 3020 function generator, but a little better. The DDS unit I got from Ali is large enough to handle, has a case and display and comes with power supply and warranty. I was torn between that and an $80 unit and I'm having second thoughts on it now. Should I have bought the more expensive unit? I bought what I functionally needed for working on a speaker. The other unit was a 60 MHz unit with dual outputs. IT is still calling my name, but at least the one I got is 14 bit. Not the last word, but I need a rough signal only. Not something better, and then I would buy a Keysight and be done with it.

Something like this one: Keysight Used 33220a Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator, 20 MHz (Agilent) 686068151412 | eBay for $924.00

-Chris

Don't know what it's like elsewhere, but generally in Canada, and even more pronounced in a hot market like here, you need a realtor, because the best properties move quick, quicker than the listing goes public on the main listing service.
Ah real estate. Just signed a contract for fencing on our rental property last week, and now looking at roofing quotes this week.

We are not in a hot market right now.

And, I am not actively looking to buy. Occasionally someone will tell me about a property that might be what I want and they are worth checking out.

Currently I still have about 6 months of work to do on my current house before I am ready to put it on the market.

I am waiting on getting my concrete steps and some sunken porch sections leveled and have a contract on that. They are supposed to take care of it in the next month.

While the weather is nice I am cleaning up the yard.

Realistic STA-76 from thrift store for $7.50 plus tax.
All functions working.

Attachments

• WP_20200604_14_48_15_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200604_14_48_15_Pro (2).jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 140
Well, speak of the devil. The concrete leveling company came to visit today.

Before and after of the sidewalk. Look at the red landscape brick against the sidewalk. It shifted up by 1-1/2".

They also raised a portion of the back porch slab, and the front slab corner.

Not cheap, but I think it was worth it. I probably won't get my money back when I sell, but it eliminates a bad first impression.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 123
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 114
I bought some pcb's from JLCPCB.
One of them was an update to the 1980's Maplin lateral mosfet amplifier.
I added better decoupling to the front end as some had problems with hum.

The other was a model railway points controller.
Very simple, just pulses the points motor for 500ms one way or another depending which of two buttons are pressed. It has 2 led's showing which way the points are switched.

Well, speak of the devil. The concrete leveling company came to visit today.

Before and after of the sidewalk. Look at the red landscape brick against the sidewalk. It shifted up by 1-1/2".

They also raised a portion of the back porch slab, and the front slab corner.

Not cheap, but I think it was worth it. I probably won't get my money back when I sell, but it eliminates a bad first impression.

Very interested in what your impressions of this are and whether you would do it over again. We have a property where the basement apartment has several concrete slabs in front that have heaved, and even worse than the cosmetics they caused a retaining wall to bulge. I don't even know if levelling the slabs is still an option at this point.

So far today picked up a Denon DVD-2910 for $80, tested it to play SACD-R and DVDA-R on the spot before I shelled out the big bucks. Think I'll have to lay low from my wife for a while.

The leveling was done with a concrete slurry, not foam. The steps are very good, and level according to my bubble level, although looking at the porch it looks crooked still. I think the porch has settled and makes it look that way. The front porch is not as level as I would like, but the base is at ground level, so there is not much else they could have done. Overall I am quite pleased with it and have no regrets.