An illustrated guide to building an F5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to complete my stereo F5's and have found this thread very helpful. A couple questions I had though...
I first mocked up a single case, but with the heat sinks and the power supply in the same case, it was starting to get super heavy and we move things around a lot in our house. So I'm going to do seperate cases for the amp and power supply.
So my first question is, I'm using Peter Daniel's PSUs in stereo config, and am basically following what 6L6 was doing with the bleeder resisters and the soft start, but since it's in a separate case from the amp, I wanted to add LEDs to the PSU to tell me when the caps are drained, and help drain them. I searched this forum and others but didn't see this shown any where so I apologize if this has been covered previously, but can anyone show me where the most efficient location for the LED is in Peter's circuit.
And second... On the amplifier side, for aesthetics I'm considering doing sort of a tower config with the 2 10"x10" heat sinks just wide enough apart for the amp boards... Probably 2". I plan on having the bottom perforated aluminum, and a vent in the back/top but no fan. Do I need to worry about the internal temp of the case on the amp side if the heat sinks are big enough?
Thanks!
Phil
Edit: On an unrelated note, attaching a picture of what happens when you by cheap taps and try to tap heat sinks... :rolleyes:
Boiling out the broken tap with Alum solution... Sorry honey. :D

Attachments

• IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
10K resistor and an LED between V+ and V- as Albert suggests.

And honestly, do yourself a favor and build it in one case. Add a handle or something. 2 cases, although seemingly an advantage when moving, will just be a colossal pain in the rear.

That said, the narrow heatsink tower will look pretty darn cool. (Add a few vent holes, it should be cool enough)

On an unrelated note, attaching a picture of what happens when you by cheap taps and try to tap heat sinks...

Did you use oil on the tap and back it out as soon as there was any resistance? I bet you didn't... :) :) :)

Last edited: