Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Well, my ACP+ is up and running! Thanks so much Papa Nelson, Jim, Tom and all the community for your help, the myriad of posts in this thread with recommendations and pointers.

After the minor hiccup with the PSU, I ended up purchasing what was available locally: a fake Samsung 24V laptop-type PSU. It's working, I could bet a month's salary that it is noisy as hell. No way to test it, I will wait a bit to finalize the process of replacing the PSU with the suggested one.

Other than that minor issue, the store's Kit is beautifully put together. Thanks Tom!

The PCB layout from Papa Nelson is so gorgeous, that the "naked" PCB was very tempting! Alas, a cat, a dog and the chance of smaller nieces and nephews visiting (hasn't happened since the pandemic, but one could only hope it is almost over!), prevented me going that route.

So, with some 3D modeling and the help of the community, I decided to go with a hand-made aluminum chassis with a look-through window on top. Since I was going to pair it with a Chord Qutest, it also had somewhat of a "theme" going on:
View attachment 962373
View attachment 962374

It pairs lovely with the VFET amp, as so many have already reported:
View attachment 962375

That is a beauty of a build Rafa! :)

--Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking outside the box . . .

Seeing Rafa's chassis got me to thinking. Has anyone designed/built a chassis using a 3D printer? Is that even possible? Are there suitable materials that would make this feasible? That would certainly simplify all of the bending, hole positioning, etc. that building a metal chassis entails . . .

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Another amp camp preamp has entered the world singing. A huge thanks to everyone who brought this project together so that folks like me would be successful just by following the build guide.

It's just the open, naked version so there's no real reason to post photos. It looks just like all the other naked ones. But because I put it together myself I'm going to think of it as extra fugly.

R4 measured perfectly. Someone did a great job of part matching for the kit.

The power supply, as reported earlier on this thread, doesn't work right. A laptop power supply is being used until the replacement power supply arrives.

I don't post much in this forum but spend a good bit of time reading in an attempt to learn. It's an amazing place. Not just because of the technical experience that exists here but the number of talented tinkerers that are willing to lend help and guidance to the up and coming tinkerers. No judgement, just a helping hand.

Thank you Mr. Pass, 6L6, Jason, Thomas, Variac and everyone else who had a hand in making this project come together.

Would anyone be so kind to match me up some J113s and tell me their respectful resistor values please? I am UK based and will pay you. I have had a lot to deal with just lately and would like to make building the ACP+ a little more straightforward to take my mind off things. I would really appreciate it guys. Thank you. :)