Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Correct, but i found them on Ebay: Remote Stereo /Balanced Preamp Volume Board Kit 64 Steps Relay With 3 Ways Input
Pretty good attenuator as a kit, but beware, you need experienced SMD solder skills. There are some SMD IC/chips on the backside of the board you don't see at the pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
20240216_064234.jpg
Sitting in paradise the other morning and my mind kept wandering back North to my audio pursuits. My aca+ shipped so promptly it beat me home and nobody to sign for it so it sits in postal purgatory. Looking forward to pushing my aca with it and also the mini aca I ordered yesterday. These Pass designs have reignited my passion for sound and my diy bent as well.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Can anyone recommend a high value headphone for the acp+? Have never really looked at them seriously before. Besides a 32 ohm rated model, I am clueless. <$150
In the same general family of the suggestion above - If you can stretch the budget a touch, you could consider the HE4XX from Drop. With full transparency, I have not heard that specific set of HPs with the ACP+ nor do I own a pair. I have listened to almost the full lineup of the HiFiMan phones at one point or another with various amps / DACs etc., and they range (to me) quite a bit in their tone and what I'd consider build quality. That's old information from circa 2018, 2019 and one person's impression, but overall... it's hard to go wrong with one of their models. I think they make a nice product, and I also think everyone should try planars. Bias exposed.

You should also (IMO) check out their website. They are having a clearance sale that might make things very attractive. I have not heard the 'new' HE400SE. Could be a contender.

Although it doesn't stretch your budget, it bursts it - I think the Sundara at $299 ($309 with travel case) could be an exceptional choice. If you're willing to go the refurbished route... $199 is pretty stellar. Still above your budget, but to me... the Sundaras were a cut above the HE400. If you'd prefer a closed-back, the Sundara closed back may work for you. I haven't tried a 20 ohm impedance with the ACP+, but my gut tells me it's just fine unless you expect to melt your brain. Wiser minds may have more technical prowess in explaining how the load affects both the sonics and power delivery.

FWIW... I've also tried 300 ohm dynamic cans with my ACP+.... I know... I'm a terrible person with tin ears.

Of course... YMMV. My :2c:

Mostly.... have fun! Let us know what you choose and what you think, please!
I am using the Hifiman Ananda and it sounds darn good with the ACP+.
^ Great cans. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
If you'd prefer a closed-back, the Sundara closed back may work for you. I haven't tried a 20 ohm impedance with the ACP+, but my gut tells me it's just fine unless you expect to melt your brain. Wiser minds may have more technical prowess in explaining how the load affects both the sonics and power delivery.
Read a few reviews. Without knowing what other headphones you may have, music tastes etc. it's terrifically hard to even guess. I have different headphones, and I love them all. No other friend loves all the same ones I love.

Help us, help you...

Do you want a closed back or open back? I don't want to say that's the largest factor, but it's important. Do you like a laid back or deadly accurate sort of sound? Want a "Harman Profile"? Are you a bass-head? Do you love the U/V-shape profile of some products (nothing wrong with that)? Does your software offer EQ? Gotta wee tiny noggin' or is your dome the size of Antares? Tough questions maybe...

Pop onto a few of the headphone sites. Reviews... are... sketchy at best, IMO. I chalk it up to my tin ear vs. people having a vested interest in what they're reviewing. Consumer reviews... It's rare that I see a consumer that spent their own hard-earned money on a product say that they wish they'd never bought it. Still... it's all you have to go by in some cases.

Overall, if you're buying your first (I'll say it, but I mean it nicely) 'decent' set of headphones, woooooo hoooooo. Congratulations! I wish I could go back in time. Why? Chances are really good that you'll be flabbergasted by the sound over a set that might typically only be packaged with another product or purpose built for another use. There's nothing right or wrong about any choice, as long as you like it. There's a really high probability that you'll really, really enjoy the ones you linked.... I know when I listened to my first set of 'decent' headphones, it was an experience I'd like to relive.

Again... YMMV my :2c:

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
It makes music! Even with my old Grado 80 phones it sounds fantastic. Have some Hifiman Sundaras in bound and I can hardly wait to try them. That lovely Pass sound is there in spades. I spent a long time making speakers but without superior amplification it was a dead end. Could not be more pleased at this point :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users