Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

I always thought that the rule for selecting make-before-break (MBB) versus make-after-break (MAB) is as follows:

For selector switches: MBB. Rationale: you do not want signal from both sources being routed to the output terminal(s) when switching occurs between the two adjacent poles.

For attenuator/signal reduction switches: MAB. Rationale: you ordinarily want continuous signal output when adjusting volume/signal level. Accordingly, you do want signal from the two adjacent poles to be routed to the output terminal(s) when switching occurs between the two adjacent poles.

For switches that route power, especially AC power and those with multiple poles: MBB. Rationale: you ordinarily do not want any power leaking through before the pole is selected. Some power switches that are MAB have specific mechanical features to ensure rapid quenching of arcs/prevention of arcs as the switching occurs. One wants to take advantage of switches with such features when switching power (especially AC); MBB switches, AFAIK, do not have such features.

If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

Ah, BBM.

And sorry, for signal selection, I meant BBM.

My understanding is that, properly terminated on the signal input side, BBM should not click or pop. I was schooled at my college radio station by the techies(who were way smarter than me) that when looking for replacement signal selector switches for audio, BBM is one of the key requirements. Given that our station was a 50KW commercial station (WBRU), I assume they knew what they were talking about, as audio messes were not to be tolerated.

Yeah, balanced almost all the way. Perhaps SE signal lines are different.

Nelson Pass' Son of Zen preamp included a resistor (1 Mohm or 100Kohm) which was explained specifically as a way to avoid pops when changing inputs. I recall other preamps also including this input resistor between signal and ground; I always thought such resistors bleed off voltage that may build up on one side of a coupling capacitor, but no-one has explained the mechanism of the resistor so I am in the dar,.

Questions for those that have used the academy audio muses volume controller (or are generally smarter than me and want to assist).

1: I’m looking to use the 15v +- psu Lenny recommended. Wiring it off the smps in, sharing ground from the common on the muses board. Does this make sense or should I run dual grounds, one off the meanwell 15v to ground, and another from muses to ground?

2: the academy board has an on/standby pad. I’m unsure how to connect this, as I already have the acp switched as normal.

If anyone could post a photo of the muses board wired in with labels for where they connected it would help greatly.

Thanks!

IMG_6021.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 47
Hi folks. I wanted to give you all a heads up that ACP+ kits are now back in stock at the store. One note, I've started including a small card in the kits with "release notes" which should give the curious details about any parts selections that differ from the stock or previous kit configurations, as well as a few things that seem to confuse builders regularly (i.e.: which one is the "gold" cap, etc...). As usual, please DM me with any questions or post here.

Happy building and listening!

--Tom

Reactions: 5 users
There are a number of options to "sum" both channels with varying degrees of quality / etc... including simply connecting both of the outputs together. Besides learning those things, practically speaking why not just get a second full range speaker and keep things simple? Are you space-limited on your desktop?

--Tom

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There are a number of options to "sum" both channels with varying degrees of quality / etc... including simply connecting both of the outputs together. Besides learning those things, practically speaking why not just get a second full range speaker and keep things simple? Are you space-limited on your desktop?

--Tom
That makes good sense Tom! 😊 This will be a satellite system and I won't be looking for holographics or sound stage is all.

Reactions: 1 user
Due to the large indoor temperature changes, I did not use aca mini, but I like its low temperature. I guess acp+ is what I want.Q5Q6-IRF520 R12-0R75 R13-2R R11-40R R7-47kR C3-2000uf R18-20 0R33
Q5-332mA
The sound sounds good
Thank you Nelson

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpeg
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 66