Amp Camp Amp - ACA

As long as there is a set of through the hole daughter cards available, you are absolutely correct. My apologies.

I know I'm correct. I built one already. All of it "through the hole". :)

711244d1540415191-aksas-lender-preamp-40vpp-output-1-jpg

Thanks Chrisb

I've stopped keeping track of costs on my projects. It depresses me.

There are no expensive components in that build. The transformer was salvaged from an old Wi-Fi hotspot PSU and the case I've had for years. The most expensive item must have been the PCB's - and it's only $35.

I was planning on building a B1 preamp buffer until several folks said unity gain wasn't the right match for the aca amp. So like several other folks I'm curious as to what bubbles up on this board.

Barry,

A B1 is enough for me in a 10 sq meter room, with ACA 1.2 and low efficiency (85dB) DIY bookshelf speakers, so it will depend on you room and how loud you want to listen.

Barry,

A B1 is enough for me in a 10 sq meter room, with ACA 1.2 and low efficiency (85dB) DIY bookshelf speakers, so it will depend on you room and how loud you want to listen.

rnjorge,

Interesting. This room is bigger but the speakers are also more efficient. It might require setting up a passive attenuator just to test it out to see how the volume works out.

Many thanks.

With regard to the pre-amp question. In the balanced input configuration.

pro level; +6 dBV - (1.99V RMS or 5.65 volts peak to peak) drives my ACA's into sonic bliss. I use an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and it sounds pretty nice! It appears they stopped making them.

When I built the amps - I used the unbalanced inputs from the same DAC.

Either way, bi-amped into into 92 dB speakers: in a 180 square foot room. A watt is very loud.

Finally!
My amp camp amp (homebrew) is playing beautifully, love the sound!
As pointed out by Alan, the semiconductors proved to be cheap chinese counterfeit components, when replaced with parts from trustworthy suppliers all worked like a charm!

One question though, how hot may the case get?🤔🤔

Cheers,
Neel 02AB6BEC-8ED5-472D-9D44-73E4AA4735C8.jpg

B8CF9142-83C0-45A4-8993-B128117209CB.jpg

7D50A86F-76DF-4DA4-A445-B38AA49EDC8D.jpg

Finally!
My amp camp amp (homebrew) is playing beautifully, love the sound!

One question though, how hot may the case get?����
Cheers, Neel

Really pleased you have it working, very well done!

First, they do run hot normally. Can you touch it for a couple of seconds? (Papa Pass scale.)
The other thing I notice is that your chassis is a little bit smaller than the 'kit' chassis. So I guess it will run a bit hotter still.

Alan
PS. 54c is no problem

It is more than the transistors and the heatsinks. The temperature inside the box matters. For example if you check the electrrolytic capacitors' datasheets you will see graphs showing degradation of performance with increasing heat. Some resistors start degrading at 25 C, many do not start degrading until the temperature reaches 70 C. You have to be careful when you purchase parts for a hot environment.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If the heatsinks are reaching 58C, you must have ventilation holes top and bottom to let heat out of the chassis interior. Also I'd suggest feet 25mm tall or taller to ensure you have adequate space under the heatsinks for good airflow. It makes a surprising difference.