Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Hi all, posted in the build guide thread, but this looks way more active. Running into some weird issues with my 4th build of the 1.6.

Running into some strange voltage readings. These readings are consistent across both pcbs. This would mark the 4th ACA I have built with the exact same resistors and capacitors and the same rear panel layout ( 2 sets of monoblocks). Since getting these readings all solder joints have been reflowed, all resistors and capacitors replaced and new pcbs. The only thing consistent and not replaced are the LS JFETs.

Anyway, the readings on Q1 are pin 1: 0v, pin 2: 173mv, pin 3: 24v. I am also getting low readings or 24v readings across many other resistors. Everything measured to spec prior to stuffing. Any thoughts? Attached are some pics.
8pNzaSg.jpg

wHGIO5u.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There are several possibilities for the 24v you are seeing.

First thing to do would be to record all the voltages on all the transistors. Copy and past this with the results and lets see if anything stands out.

Q1
D=
G=
S

Q2
D=
G=
S=

Q3
C=
B=
E=

Q4
D=
G=
S=

to follow up, here is what my ACA looks like. I did a little poking around for dry solder joints and didn't see anything right away but also not super sure what i am looking for. I will continue to look and take measurements.

y4m7wJYHChsOj4GdPsH7d0-2bVxB2gbXgRsCSJD0IAykuUqIbiAn811wEw3jQqJ2UsxjerupB60P0k_X3dgivPBqOfvmPhbBzZ81IgXOGvnTxGCYvhqyvFeVxRbQlSrICavsyDHNlhkPDXNE1gkh4B1m0rko6s0DuUAauy_QPs0sGT2VhguFk99BDMBUvMdgnDtemsRewKsMbvI3Hg75o_yDw

y4mU2WkU8ABnpJYkK-Gf9as-0c2GsKvLPiG-ZW7BQtPgwii2SY6-rEytshOuu_BLedbPnGUipsRF8KytbpSzPG-sau12w95cyoC1o2u49u-xZr-xGxsi_Wrjzpf1riXYaUQLfg2O4lDYRxSySUBcQgGRkyhvdnG2kxJWPGR1Cfk6OWtcPxEXVYtQHe-5kc2ZnaEYCM--5wViW-H_6LVTrY8TA

y4mx6-F2A7FJYCde161Micc33YM25pDkQPn7xfnAqe82SU9c-I96kqQA2WFXh_Vws-u8FlXIVm9indFkDlTb1M5FPuHFhE-tTsqhmyEv556WoF0uOgfm9SXBpCJJuvYzdWj_WtYF103Uaf0ml-0bFO7k5G8w6DHl8PX631r4cSBIxA-kxqzQD8FE0GA7H0QVdEPkLs8u8qVOEne2O-i-rdp2g
ecxw9, just an observation: I normally see some bleed through of solder to top side of the board, and I don't see much of it at all looking at those resistors on the bottom photo, besides, I think that the knowledegable chaps here (not me) would be able to tell from a photo of the bottom where the soldered connections are if there was a potential problem.

Semiroundel, the Objective 2 was on my short list of preamps last year for use with the ACA, but then I decided to build the B1. Thus, I wouldn't know how it compares with the AKSA Lender pre.

What I can tell you is that I was pretty happy with the B1 until now with most of my music, except for the older Pink Floyd stuff (recorded at lower level than is done currently) and classical music. The B1 doesn't have gain (arguably needed for the ACA), but the sound quality is very good, being a Pass design.

Now, if you'd ask me how the AKSA Lender is shaping up against the B1, I'd have to tell you that I prefer the AKSA Lender for it's better soundstage imaging and layering. The AKSA Lender is quite new and wasn't available when I started my preamp short list in July 2017. I believe the PCB's became available around Nov/Dec 2017.
Thanks for that input Skylar88, I think I'll keep an eye out for the AKSA in case a group buy appears, just to compare up against the Objective 2.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but I decided to upgrade the pot to an Alps blue 10k, the kit one I'm sure is good but I had an alps blue left over from another job, also my selector switch is an Elma 04-1264 (hopefully a good one)

to follow up, here is what my ACA looks like. I did a little poking around for dry solder joints and didn't see anything right away but also not super sure what i am looking for. I will continue to look and take measurements.

OK, please report back on the voltages, but the first thing I notice is there is very little solder 'flow through' on the component side of the board. Normally on 'good joints' capillary action brings a small amount of solder round the component leads - see the example from the build guide.

If you are brave, do the tap and poke test with power on speakers connected and with a low level input. If you find a component that reacts you might be able to re solder it from the top of the board. In the end though, I think you will need to remove the board and re-flow all the solder joints...
Alan

Attachments

• solder flow.jpeg
    solder flow.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 151
There are several possibilities for the 24v you are seeing.

First thing to do would be to record all the voltages on all the transistors. Copy and past this with the results and lets see if anything stands out.

Q1
D=172.3 MV
G= 23.1 V
S= 26.8 MV

Q2
D= 23.75 V
G= 5.64 V
S= 1.098 V

Q3
C= 5.61 V
B= .809 V
E= 198.1 MV

Q4
D= 23.76 V
G= 23.1 V
S= 23.1 V
I added them above. Thanks for the help, like I said, Odd voltages.

ecxw9, just an observation: I normally see some bleed through of solder to top side of the board, and I don't see much of it at all looking at those resistors on the bottom photo, besides, I think that the knowledegable chaps here (not me) would be able to tell from a photo of the bottom where the soldered connections are if there was a potential problem.

OK, please report back on the voltages, but the first thing I notice is there is very little solder 'flow through' on the component side of the board. Normally on 'good joints' capillary action brings a small amount of solder round the component leads - see the example from the build guide.

If you are brave, do the tap and poke test with power on speakers connected and with a low level input. If you find a component that reacts you might be able to re solder it from the top of the board. In the end though, I think you will need to remove the board and re-flow all the solder joints...
Alan

Thanks so much for the observation. The flow through makes sense. Can i just add solder to all of them from the top?

I assume the tap and poke test is to use something non-conductive to nudge each component while listening for changes in the audio output from the amp? it seems like at low levels that could work, i can give it a try.

I started with the Resistance checks but was having trouble getting the readings even after waiting several minutes for the caps to charge as instructed. I will try again tomorrow and post my results.

The flow through makes sense. Can i just add solder to all of them from the top?
You could for the resistors, though it is not easy for the transistors and impossible for the capacitors.

I assume the tap and poke test is to use something non-conductive to nudge each component while listening for changes in the audio output from the amp? it seems like at low levels that could work, i can give it a try.
Correct.

I started with the Resistance checks but was having trouble getting the readings even after waiting several minutes for the caps to charge as instructed. I will try again tomorrow and post my results.
That is a fair indication a cap or associated component is not connected...

On a second look at your pictures, I would take it out and re-do all the joints...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I added them above. Thanks for the help, like I said, Odd voltages.

Very odd. At face value it looks like Q4 is duff or not what its supposed to be. Q3 is working fine and limiting the current correctly. Its almost as if Q4 is near short or its not a FET but an NPN transistor with the base where the drain should be. That would give near identical voltage readings to what you are getting.

Don't forget to check the soldering on the input RCA connectors and output
binding posts. I had a distortion show up on one channel of an F6 build and
it was cured when the soldering at the binding post was reflowed.

That is a fair indication a cap or associated component is not connected...

On a second look at your pictures, I would take it out and re-do all the joints...

Thanks guys. I am going to roll up my sleeves and get into this.

Very odd. At face value it looks like Q4 is duff or not what its supposed to be. Q3 is working fine and limiting the current correctly. Its almost as if Q4 is near short or its not a FET but an NPN transistor with the base where the drain should be. That would give near identical voltage readings to what you are getting.

Yep, that was my thought too. I have two replacements on the way which I assume will fix the issue. Thanks for the help!