Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Ok these Red LEDs aren't cutting it, I killed one of my Blue LEDs, does anyone know the Specs on these? I'm sure I can get them from Mouser or DigiKey.

Mark

Zen Mod is right - the cheapest, only one factor is important - Does it fit the hole?
Then order a packet of 2 or 5 because the one you have will likely be a different colour or brightness to the new one.

If you build from the kit then the limiting resistor is already there it is R13 10k ohms.
Just remember the short lead (or flat on the body) goes to the Negative connection. Step 38 on the build guide.
Alan

Hi all, thanks for all the helpful information that you provided for my replacement LED. Yeah running the LED off a 9V battery was kind of silly and proved to be down right destructive LOL. What I ended up using was a coin type battery from an instant thermometer CR1226 3V. I wish DIY would have separated these in the kit since they are both clear, but hey if your a DIY you should be able to figure this out :). I'm learning. YouTube is a terrible thing to waste. I may just go the easy route and ask DIY to send me replacements.

I love this little Amp, I have it now running off my Parasound Halo Integrated and I'm amazed that it can drive my Vandersteen 2cis. Bass is punchy and Mids and Highs are Crystal Clear. What a great Kit. I may purchase another and run as Mono blocks though this Single Amp gets loud enough to run in my apartment.

Mark

Last edited:
Hi,

I just built the 1.6 version with the 24 volt power supplies. I've read in one post that the correct bias for the 24 volt supply is 12 volts, and 11.8 volts in another post. Does anyone know which is the correct value? Does it not really matter a whole lot?

Thanks!

12V is correct. But it takes a lot of patience to get there; turn the pot too much and you easily overshoot the value you are aiming for. I'm impatient that ~11.8V was "close enough" since I really wanted to hear the amps. I'll rebias before I finish the rest of the chassis assembly.

Good Enough :)

12V is correct. But it takes a lot of patience to get there; turn the pot too much and you easily overshoot the value you are aiming for. I'm impatient that ~11.8V was "close enough" since I really wanted to hear the amps. I'll rebias before I finish the rest of the chassis assembly.

I couldn't hit 12 on the dot, I also settled for 11.8v.

Thanks. I could get all of them to 11.97 or 11.98. They are so sensitive that I have to meditate for 10 minutes before trying to move the screwdriver.

Both Blue and Read

Hi Everyone,

Just finished both my ACA 1.6 monos. When I powered them up one has both LEDs in blue and the other one has both LEDs in red. Please help what is wrong. Do I have the wrong LEDs with the red one? Blue seems normal to be normal for amps.

Thanks in advance.

The Kit Comes with both Blue and Red, 4 in total, ya just have to figure out which one is which. I used a 3v coin battery.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Some good points about needing to measure the clear LEDs to ascertain their color. I'll make a note in the guides to test for color first.

The LEDs are standard 5mm diameter LEDs (which have an irregular flange at the base of around ~6mm). The hole in the back of the front panel is 6mm. The 1.6 kit includes two different sizes of heatshrink. Put a bit of the smaller diameter heatshrink over the 5mm part of the LED (then heat), and then the larger dia heatshrink over that, the flange and the legs (then heat). While warm and pliable this makes for a very nice press fit into the 6mm hole.

Replacement parts:
To test the color:
To adjust brightness:
  • Adjust using appropriate resistor value to suit
  • Consider doing a mod to use the rear toggle switch as an LED dimmer switch for day/night brightness levels

Last edited:
I didn't find the directional brightness of Superbright LED's appealing and replaced it with 'regular', diffused blue LED's on my ACA.

Even after dimming with a much higher value resistor, the Superbright LED's still bugged me at night, and didn't look quite right in daytime either. Now I just love the soft blue color of the diffused LED's.

Disclaimer:
I didn't build from the diy store kit, so the above may not apply to the LED's in the kit.