• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AMC CVT3030

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I would sure check one channel with all the different combinations of the 4 tubes. Since you did not touch the pre amp section or power section, hard to fathom it is anything there. Also, if you really had to heat the solder a long time to get the tubes out, the heat could have damaged a nearby resistor or diode (25, 26, 502, 503). I would first think it could be a tube issue.

Agree. The sockets look aligned and off the same side of the board as were the soldered tubes. Lots of reviews and upgrades out there about this amplifier. Looks like there were several iterations of boards, with a few design changes. There are also different fuses used, so if you had not touched fuses, you would presumably be fine, but if you removed some, make sure the right fuses are in the right locations.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the many comments and suggestions.
Here some clarifications:

• The problem relates to the tube modules only as I already could exclude supply and preamp
  • The sockets are correctly in place
  • The film caps I replaced are correct (0.1u and 250V). I woud be very suprised if these were a cause but I will check with the old ones once I get more fuses
  • The fuse blowing is on B+ (see pic), 1A 250V, right before the rectifier. No wrongdoings here with spare fuses.
  • I desoldered the tubes using a lot of braid and gently using pliers to get pins unstucked. I cleaned the pins from solder as well as with nail polish to make them slide properly into the sockets. I don't think I applied too much heat but I will know for sure once I will have the tubes tested.
  • Heat did not damage any closeby parts such as resistors or diodes
  • No wires were present to connect pin 8 and 9 to gnd. They are connected through the pcb
At this point, as soon as I get more spare fuses, I will put back the old coupling caps, measure voltages on the sockets without tubes ans swap/mix tubes.

Hopefully during next week I will be able to have the tubes tested. That should give clearer picture.

If you have any other ideas, I am happy to hear!

Thanks again,

Fabrizio

Attachments

• Power supply - blowing fuse.png
    Power supply - blowing fuse.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 178
It seems somewhat likely the PCB is damaged. I’d check for a short between plate tracks and ground and also screen tracks and ground. I’d recommend a hi pot test of some sort.

I parted one of these out a few years ago. I suspect I have a copy of that PCB around some where. If you find that to be the problem, I’d be happy to search for it. I also have the PT too.

I think you need to test the voltages for sure per the manual. In an amp with tubes, electronic parts and a pcb of that age, something could certainly have happened to one of the parts when you were soldering. Maybe not so likely in your mind, as you were careful, but it could. If your tubes prove to be good and the caps are good, then you will have lots of investigating to do. I would also check to make sure all the plastic connectors, wires leading into them, and pins and sockets in them are looking good. Sometimes in removing the connectors the wires or pins can go awry. Did the plastic connectors come apart easily or did you really have to yank on them, or yank on the wires? Good luck. I am sure it is frustrating the heck out of you. Do you have a variac so you can power it up slowly while checking voltages?

The socket orientation looks correct with the keyway in the PCB and missing pin 6 on the board shown anyway. Which are the new caps? Have you tried one board at a time with tubes in to narrow it down?

Oh yeah, are you using the same tubes or new tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.