• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AMC CVT3030

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Instead of plugging the rca jack into the offending input, see if the hum comes back when the outside ( ground ) of the jack makes contact with the outside of the plug. don't plug in in normally. if the noise returns, touch the outside of the jack to the chassis to see if the noise returns. if there is no noise on the chassis ( should always be grounded ) the grounding problem is with the female connector on the amp.

Dear all,

Here'sa a recap, and a couple additional things I tried:

• When the right power module is connected to the preamp, through either left or right signal cables, 120Hz hum is present. I can't measure anything relevant with the oscilloscope at the signal connector (either GND or R/L pins).
  • When the signal cable is disconnected the hum is gone

• NEW> if I connect only the GND of the signal cable between preamp and power module, hum IS NOT present (see picture)
  • NEW> if I connect only the R pin of the signal cable between preamp and power module, hum IS present (see picture)
Is this helpful to understand what is going on?

Thanks again for your support

Fabrizio

Attachments

• IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 110
I checked all the electrolytics on the signal path of the preamp, resolderd them, but nothing changes. Note that the hum is present independent of the the preamp channel connected to the right tube module. I am starting to think that there might be something related to the position of the right tube power module with respect to the preamp and power supply modules.

Slowly getting desperate

As the title of this post says...I am running out of ideas.

Here is a recap of what is happening and what I have tried so far:

• When the power module on the right is connected to the preamp, through either left or right signal cables, 120Hz hum is present. The tube module is connected to the preamp through the cable indicated in the pictures previously posted. I can't measure anything relevant with the oscilloscope at the signal connector (either GND or R/L pins).

• When the signal cable (left or right) is disconnected from tube module on the right, the hum is gone

• If I connect only the GND of the signal cable between preamp and power module, hum IS NOT present (see picture)

• If I connect only the R pin of the signal cable between preamp and power module, hum IS present (see picture)

• If I disconnect the signal cable from the left tube module (the right being connected) the hum is still present

• If I physically swap the right and left tube modules (boards with tubes attached) the problem persists on the module to the right.

• On the preamp I checked the signal electrolytics for leakage (none) and resoldered them too.

• I checked tube bias and everythig is fine

• I have been trying to check with the oscilloscope probe where the hum interjects on the tube module but it's not easy since everything is so crammed and I am afraid of short circuiting.

• Put lid on/off

• Exchanged heaters cables between L and R tube modules

• Exchanged B+/Bias/GND connectors between L and R tube modules

• Inspected and gently poked with a fine wood stab almost all components on all boards

What I still find unexplicable is the relationship between signal cables and hum on the right module, without being able to measure anything on the cables themselves but only at the tube module output.

I would appreciate any other suggestion though I am also cognizant of how difficult it is to diagnose such a problem without physically being on the device.

Thanks anyway for the help so far.
Fabrizio

Dear all,

I am happy to report that I managed to get rid of the hum. The problem was still related to the mod which I wired accoring to the old, awful, execution. And ground wiring was the actual problem.

I made sure a ground wire follows the unregulated B+ to the regulator board and back. That way the hum was gone.

Thanks everybody for the help!
Fabrizio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.