Altec Lansing

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Having used foil coils a few times, I don't hear the advantage. And I've heard many Altec based systems that were stunningly good using normal Solen or Erse, Jantzen coils.

On the other hand, I have friends who's judgment and hearing I trust who like the foil.
For me, they don't offer an improvement.

Copper Foil vs Copper wire

This is one time I may disagree with Pano.... with caveat(s) ... It has been my experience that there are some sonic improvements with foil over wire assuming same gauge when larger values are required, say .75 MH and larger. This also assumes the inductor is used in series with the driver. I perceive better resolution in mid range frequencies from around 500 Hz up to about 5Khz. YMMV

Hello Altec fans... Are copper foil inductors a good idea for vintage Altec or GPA woofers and compression drivers?

Greets!

In theory, the 'tighter' the ctc spacing the greater the HF resolution, so normally wouldn't see the point with vintage horns, but if willing to spend what it takes to shift it lower, then in theory looking at a similar improvement to between a round vs flat wire VC coil.

GM

Greets!

In theory, the 'tighter' the ctc spacing the greater the HF resolution, so normally wouldn't see the point with vintage horns, but if willing to spend what it takes to shift it lower, then in theory looking at a similar improvement to between a round vs flat wire VC coil.

GM

Thanks GM..

I think flat wire voice coils are usually lighter and faster, so that puts things in perspective.

@kec

"As a former Altec employee (1978-1982) I have a real fondness for the Altec sound and their products. This was my first job right out of high school. I worked on the speaker/driver production lines and could do every phase of building drivers - which is why I eventually became a lead person."

Forgive me if this has been brought up before but could you shed any light on the surround coating used for instance on the 416-8Z?

Thanks

@kec and @GM

The reason I'm interested is because I acquired some 846B's which apparently sat around for a quite a while. The surround goop is that super tacky tar like stuff which has run down and some has dribbled onto the chassis and wood. I can clean the dribble up but it is a bit thin further up the surround.
As I said it is black not clear and I have been led to believe that one can't put the current goop over the old stuff.
One helpful individual said, "Just get them reconed". Yeah, that's not cheap and they work fine they just need a touch up.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Rotate them 180º and ever so slowly the goop will migrate back.

I was going to do that anyway but I might not live long enough to see it move.

Also the stuff that ran down onto the baffle would need to be replaced.

I may just get some MEK and see if I can thin it out and encourage the goop to move around before the MEK evaporates.

The nice folks at GPA knew MEK was the solvent/carrier but didn't know what the actual black sticky stuff was used. At least the AR and KLH guys know that their goop is Butyl rubber with Toluene as the solvent.

Chris