Altec Lansing

They had both foam on the edge and all plastic...

Attachments

• urei_foam.jpg
    urei_foam.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 303
  • urei_horn.jpg
    urei_horn.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 300
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
certainly more than enough proper info on web , now just a remark that there were at least 2 generations , first of them having original 604

later being replaced by some JBL concoction , not necessary worse

had opportunity to hear them once , as Kido , can't remember anything useful , except being utterly impressed :rofl:

Ji-Fi Altec experiences

Interesting to read the differences in opinion thus far contained in the tread. Altec's, like all other speakers, are subject to how they are set up, especially crossover wise. Know I may be overstating the obvious to many here, but like any world class engineering effort, it comes down to a host of little details. What the better Altec drivers offer that most do not is potential. And they, improperly used are VERY unforgiving. You can take a second tier 605 Duplex and make it sing with the best of what is out there. It can play flat into the 30's and remain flat and phase correct to over 15Khz. Produce dynamics, micro on up that most speakers can not possibly duplicate. And yes, it can do classical with the best. You just have to know what you are doing! I will agree, most factory Altec offerings are NOT good for Hi-Fi applications. Most were not designed for that type of service. And the ones that were never met their potential in factory trim. Too bad.

I go to approx 50 classical concerts a year. I live in central London and it's easy. I have 5 or 6 this month itself including two with Alisa Weilerstein, who Barenboim said when he first conducted her in a concert that she was the best cellist he had seen since his ex wife (jacqueline du pre). Another concert is with Miklos Perenyi whose recordings on Hungaroton are famous.

Altecs are great for classical. We should move on and discuss Altec systems :)

In a two way, has anyone been able to successfully replace the 288 with another driver to get more extension but retain the coherence? 8 ohm driver?

I have a FaitalPro HF146 CD on a Mantaray horn right now. I bought the drivers at PE as an open box for $125 each. I couldn't pass up a great deal. They sound very good too. I don't know how they compare to the 288's though. I have 4 299's, 3 with bad diaphragms and 1 I was able to fix (solder). Dang things are so heavy :mad:

FaitalPRO HF146 1.4" Neodymium Compression Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt

I just built an A7 inspired speaker. 828 like cabinet with reduced volume and a GPA 515C driver. Getting stuffing and levels of individual drivers right was the most finicky I ever encountered so far. When the 515 was just 1dB too loud in regards to the midhorn, sound turned to a boomy mess when cranking the volume up a bit. Same with stuffing. Taking impedance plots and checking resonance and checking output level as the textbook recommends didn't do it.
That made me understand how the opinions on the Altec VOTT family are so different. They are just really easy to get wrong.

Can anyone tell me how to judge if a driver needs to be remagnetized?

+1 on measure its basic T/S specs; BL will be low, Qes high if weak.

Don't recall seeing a stamp like that on any Altecs, OEM or otherwise, but can't say none had it since I never had any need to pay any attention to them, but comparing the fronts of my mid '50s Bs [one pair OEM, one factory rebuild matched to the other's specs], which looks like all the others I've been up close and personal with, its textured finish appears to have been heavily coated and screens seem different even after factoring in ultra bright lighting [especially WRT having a glue line around them], so lacking any other evidence I'm inclined to be wary of them.

Pair of Altec 515B drivers for sale Photo #2247821 - Canuck Audio Mart

All that said, by '75 I was pretty fed up with Altec QA except when custom ordering, so with a range out to '75 for that frame, no telling without measured specs, frequency response, though for my $$$ I would assume they need rebuilding to be worth a premium above and beyond just being AlNiCo.

GM