Alpair MAOP 10.2

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MAOP 10.2 is not Alpair 10.2.

The Mar-Kens Bob is doing and Leif first built, are the trapezoids (kudos to him for figuring out a flat-pak) which would have the same tuning as a CGR for the MAOP would be (no one has asked), but has a much lower diffraction signature. The tuning across different drivers is different.

dave

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The tuning across different drivers is different. Yes of course. But also consider that MAOP10 are with different parameter. My have fs=34, and Qts=0.28, not same like Leif or others, so it will not work with my driver. Tuning of minionken is probably around 53-56 Hz.

Turns out that parameters change in the right directions to keep the box tuning the same.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know X has recommended those scrubby eraser things. I have not tried it. It is not natural, i prefer natural products (in most cases — good polyfluff is not natural). I don’t use foam, and what i pull out of recycled boxes is usually used for packing.

As well even at the dolalr store ($1.25 store here) they are quite pricey.

dave

I have used melamine foam for MAOP 10.2 (bookshelf) but only at the rear cabinet wall, to avoid back reflections from the driver. And then polyfluff on the other sides.

Works very well. No coloration, no resonance/reflections, no boominess heard.

The melamine foam in my experience works very well on certain applications (better than those egg crate foam types). I haven't tried using them for all wall sides though (might be too much of a good thing)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm trying to reach LeifB60, but to my surprise, my post still need to be moderated, and I am not yet allowed to pm anyone. This is very surprising to me, as I have been a member since early 2017. I've not made many posts, but still... Anyway, sorry for the offtopic post, just trying to get some posts under my belt. If you see this Leif, may I ask you to try to pm me?

Reactions: 1 user
Well, yes, but would you not think that if I were a spammer or if my intentions were ill natured, I might not have had the patience to wait for 6 years before starting ;). Though I've apparently only made two (this is the third) public posts, I've had several private conversations with members before. The right to send pm:s apparently expire after a while?

@planet10 , do you have more Onken designs for the MAOP10 than minionken? Would a slightly larger onken cabinet yield lower bass response? I'm trying to decide the best cabinet for me for my recently acquired MAOP10 drivers. I do like the FHXL, but I'm pretty sure my wife doesnt :LOL: . The minionken would sport very high WAF,but would have to be a compromise sacrificing bass response.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@planet10 , do you have more Onken designs for the MAOP10 than minionken? Would a slightly larger onken cabinet yield lower bass response? I'm trying to decide the best cabinet for me for my recently acquired MAOP10 drivers. I do like the FHXL, but I'm pretty sure my wife doesnt :LOL: . The minionken would sport very high WAF,but would have to be a compromise sacrificing bass response.

I mostly only do miniOnkens, and usually the optimum size for that driver first. They only go as low as they go. If you want lower you need to go to a quarter-wave enclosure, such as Frugel-Horn XL or the appropriate Pensil.

I have not yet done any specific miniOnkens for the M11.

Ignoring that i have not yet explored enuff woofers, woofT stands that add bass extention are doable in most cases.

dave