Alpair MAOP 10.2

IMG_2165.jpg
IMG_2167.jpg
IMG_2166.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hello All,
i have finish to build my 3 boxes ( 1 pensil, 1TWTD 13.5T, and 1 DDVP 15) my drivers have 15-20 hour running theses days in free air.
TWTD13.5T is not ready for listening i have just finish to glue the build.
it's my first listening, i have put pensil and DDVP 15, 2m each other
i have not put damping material in any boxes
my first impression that pensil have more bass i m' a little surprise i was thinking that ddvp15 should have more bass...
it seems to be DDVP 15 have better definition on medium high

my god it sounds divinely good

IMG_2195.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The Pensil is a custom MLTL type alignment that Scott Lindgren uses. You can make the Pensil look more similar to Dave's Mini-Onken cabinets and get some of the benefits of lesser diffraction. The other parameters like cabinet internal height, driver distance from the port, cross-section area, port size etc. have to be maintained - only the front baffle will look different.
.... an example of a Pensil that is not a rectangular box. Uses teh same form to create the curved panels for Ellipsa.

curved-pensil7-raw.jpg

dave

How important is the cross section dimensions in this instance?
I have drawn up a draft layout of a 6 sided enclosure (could be cut to 8 sides), modelled off of the trapezoidal mini-onken style, but with the exact same height and internal front baffle dimension as the pensil for alpair 10.3 (I have Maop 10.2's). Technically this should have nearly the same cross sectional area, as the proposed design is only .2L larger than the pensil. But with different dimensions. Ps: 68L is pretty big!

Secondary question, is the below layout actually designed such that it would improve diffraction/imaging/soundstage over a normal pensil 10.3 build?

Tertiary question, would the port being cut into this front baffle act differently to the port in the normal pensil plans?
As it would have the winged back sides inside the cabinet, rather than the 90degree cabinet walls.

Would love peoples thoughts on this. Just wanted to experiment with melding the benefits of the trapezoidal enclosure (which I have already built as standmounts) with the bass response of the pensil.

signal-2024-04-22-214124_002.jpeg

ps. please ignore the majority of the numbers on this pic, there is 2-3 iterations of assembly on there, the overall shape is what is being shown.

mitch311,

My understanding is that dimensions need not be exactly the same, as long as the area of the cross section is maintained; and you mentioned that internal height of the cabinet is the same, so the volume is also very close.

Important is to keep the position of the driver the same (e.g. driver center distance from the top/bottom), and the distance of the port from the driver should be also kept the same as the original design.

From memory the depth of the port for the Pensil is 18-19mm? So as long as that depth (port length) and port cross section area is maintained, it should be ok.

I built MLTL cabs with the prismatic/diamon shape and boat hull shape (like Sonus Faber speakers); those were fun challenges and lot of extra work vs a straight sided standard cabinet. I doubt I had any significant gain sonically. :)

Reactions: 1 user