Alpair MAOP 10.2

Did you compare Yamaha WXA50 to another amplifier in your system/room? Are you sure the weakness is coming from the amplifier and not from the speakers?

Sonce,

That's why I suggested OP to do an audition if possible with AKSA amps. :)

In my experience Class D amplifiers can sometimes sound a bit thin with wide-band drivers, possibly due to the lower output impedance of the amplifier. It is not a "fault" of the amplifier, but rather a less than optimum between speaker and amplifier... Amplifier with higher output impedance (lower damping factor) on the other hand can sound "fuller".

We have to also consider that a 5.25" (nominal) driver will have limited Sd and listener might perceive less bass with an amplifier with lower output impedance, and that will overall affect the tonality of the music; a tube amp on the other hand will possibly have higher output impedance and less accurate bass, but can be perceived as going lower and sounding bigger, specially with the room also coming into play... the roll off in the higher frequencies can also lead to the system sounding warmer and more pleasant.

These are simply examples, and I have cherry picked Class D and Tube amps for subjective comparison, and not saying that it is the exact case for the OP. :)

Reactions: 1 users
It is a lifestyle product, It has its place, but it won’t really come close to be revealing enuff to push the limits of what the MAOP is caple of.

In a hifi all of the bits are important, and despite being the single largest contributor to the voicing (ignoring the room) of a hifi the loudspeaker is the least important.

In this case the quality of the loudspeaker fa routstrips what comes before. too much information is lost before it gets to the loudspeaker.

You can take the audioscience review as far as you can throw it. Give syou some numbers. Doesn’t tell you how it sounds.

dave
sure after the maop it will be the rest of chain that i will have to replace,
it's exactly what i seen many have good numbers what do you suggest if you were me:
a D class, alone
a D class with lamp Préamp
a lamp amp
other?
i have still my nad C356BEE....
i have still my 55m² room...

Lots to read. I'll try and answer some of the questions as succinctly as I can.

With regards to the sound on the wxa50. Its great as background 65 to 70db, but loud over 85db it feels like it is lacking dynamics. The feeling that something is missing in the music. I tried them with my Yamaha a6a and they sounded amazing in a larger room and could easily get higher volumes with better sound and clarity plus deep powerful bass.

I think those power measurements on wxa50 are with 1khz tone right, which is totally not what music is. The power is spread over a huge range of Hz. I like the way Erin does his power amp reviews with multitone power rating. Gives a false impression of the actual power at 1khz tone.

A good friend of mine has a marantz pm7000n and I'd love to hear it on that. I've also been looking at Yamaha rn1000a.

Wxa50 is a great little amp for a background music application. But these speakers are in a different category. I had made some alpair 10p for listening and they sounded fine on the wxa50. The Marken10t are just next level compared though.

Hope that helps, Matt.

I have 3 amps.
1. Tubeamp 6550c pushpull gives 50w 8ohm
2. Class D 165w 8ohms
3. Solid State 60w

All 3 is superb amp for Mark Audio drivers. Solid State and Tubeamp gives more details in tweeter. Class D little less.

I have a dac with tube. I am fond of tubes. And good separation between the channels.

Last edited:
I tried them with my Yamaha a6a and they sounded amazing in a larger room and could easily get higher volumes with better sound and clarity plus deep powerful bass.
It is very important to compare two different amplifiers in the same setup and in the same room. Yamaha may sounds better, but the comparison is not valid if not done in the same room and with the same sound sources.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You are contradicting yourself.\

It may seem so on face value, but after some 50+ years of experience it becomes obvious. If the information is present in what comes out of the loudspeaker, how it is voiced has much less total impact than you might think.

With a good front end before the loudspeaker, it is the case that if the speaker is well done it will sound good. Put crappy stuff in front, that decen tspeaker sounds like crap.

dave

There are people with 60+ years of experience in believing in the fairy tales, so what?
In the whole chain of the audio reproduction, the weakest link corrupts the sound quality in the largest extent. If the loudspeaker is crap (all single fullrange drivers), even if you put in it the most pure information, then the output of that loudspeaker is utter crap.
However, I do not deny a certain charm and fun-factor the better single single fullrange loudspeakers have. I have used them in a certain number of my custom-built loudspeakers. I have no experience with Mark Audio drivers, though. But I do know the sound of Jordan-Watts modules, Jordan drivers and many others - believe me, they are the weakest link in the audio chain.

Sonce, this is not audiophile Facebook group, no need to call fullrange drivers crap im fullrange thread. If you dont like them, dont use them. As for little Yamaha, its a nice modern lifestyle all in one amp, just like Sonos, but not really serious HiFi

Reactions: 1 user
Yep this has started to feel like a very hostile thread with one particularly abrasive poster. We're all here to support and enjoy our hobby. There are surely many other places where you could pick a fight.

Thanks again to everyone for your support during my build and to Dave for the amazing Marken10t plans.

There are people with 60+ years of experience in believing in the fairy tales, so what?
In the whole chain of the audio reproduction, the weakest link corrupts the sound quality in the largest extent. If the loudspeaker is crap (all single fullrange drivers), even if you put in it the most pure information, then the output of that loudspeaker is utter crap.
However, I do not deny a certain charm and fun-factor the better single single fullrange loudspeakers have. I have used them in a certain number of my custom-built loudspeakers. I have no experience with Mark Audio drivers, though. But I do know the sound of Jordan-Watts modules, Jordan drivers and many others - believe me, they are the weakest link in the audio chain.

Funny how you mentioned that ALL single fullrange drivers are crap, and then mentioning that you haven't tried and experienced even at least one Markaudio driver.

I have to respect your opinion of your own personal assessment, but making a statement such as that and then not being able to back it up by factual data and experiential claims seems to be the weakest link in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
New owner of Maop 10.2

20240226_123258.jpg

Reactions: 3 users