Alpair 12P cabinet options

Ok my space is close enough to done for me to start putting my system back together. The Joan's sound better in the finished space as I'm fiddling with placement. The room is about 14ft x 25ft and they are on the short wall.

I have a small 8" sub hooked up, long term plan is building a small pair of sealed subs. I can hear the bass with the Joans but miss some of the tactile feeling.

wp-1620332063982.jpg

Now is my turn :) I have got all the plywood parts... but... word of caution...
On the driver drawings that are available online the distance between the middles of the mounting holes is Ø185.7mm, I trusted this value and now have a problem because the measured value is about Ø183.5mm. I need to fix the fronts now.

20210520_123552.jpg
20210520_123542.jpg
20210520_103458.jpg
20210520_122303.jpg

Last edited:
I did some progress:

20210711_163349.jpg

20210715_221256.jpg

And I would like to ask for advice regarding stuffing. I have used some polyester for filling pills but I think it's with silicone and it's too slippy and it falls down. I used 2 x 170g (6 oz) per speaker. What is recommended amount for Joan and Alpair 12P?

Also: where did you get the legs for the speakers? :)

I will install some carpet spikes, I just need to buy a couple sets.

I did the same for the lining, all interior surfaces behind the driver except the back of the baffle. The last side I sprayed and added material after everything was glued up.

I used polyfill (pillow) to stuff and just added to the closed folded section of the horn, following the instructions for a regular frugal horn.

I thought of the wiring when building as I also used posts. If there ever is an issue, I'll cut it all out with a hole saw and mount a cup or plate. I like the clean look of posts though (even though it's on the back).

Speakers sound great now that I've got mine all lined (including top and back), stuffed, and glued. Hard to directly compare, but I stand by my earlier listening assessment that they go a little lower than Super Pensils with maybe less midbass hump.

Some felt on the inside top and back is suggestted.

OK, I'm going to add the two missing linings, thanks for the hint :)

If you ever heve to change speaker wire or break a binding post you will be in trouble.

dave

Yes, I noticed that a bit too late that I couldn't reach my hands, but I could always use a saw, cut the connectors and knock them out, stick the wooden spikes on the wood glue in the holes, putty, paint the panel again, and mount new connectors at the height of the speakers.

How much polyfill would you suggest on the front and the back chambers?

PS. With 170+170g I noticed that I hear much better 31.5Hz than 40Hz, also 80Hz is quieter than 70Hz, but that may depend on the room specific and speaker position which is completely random now.