Alpair 12P cabinet options

Bit more importantly: Sonic impressions?
dave

Apologies for my late reply.

I keep the speakers about 20-25cm (0.65-0.8ft) from the wall - it adds a nice bass extension. I tried these speakers with FirstWatt F5 and other amplifiers, still, F2J is the winner. However, I had felt that there is a bit of a lack of control on the bass region. I connected 100 Ohm 5W pot, connected it in parallel with the speaker (yes parallel as F2J is a current source amplifier). I used symphonic (orchestral) recording (not bass-focused) and I got the sweet spot, the best clarity and separation around 20 Ohm. Together with 16 Ohm in the amp (3x47 Ohms in parallel), it gives around 8.7 Ohm resistance in parallel with the speaker. I have also added something similar to Zobel network 9.4 Ohm + 680nF in series (parallel to the speaker) to reduce HF, still haven't decided if I'm going to leave it or not.

Now the bass is perfectly controlled, amazing soundstage, clarity, the music fills in the room, it's so alive with certain recordings.

Guys, if you are using these speakers with high damping factor amplifiers (traditional voltage source), please try to connect them with a resitor in series, like 4-10 Ohms, and see how it sounds.

Dave, thank you a lot for sharing details about this project. I am very, very happy with these speakers!

Reactions: 1 user
Thnx Scott

Hi all - and thanks Scottmoose for the plans.

Got a little unsatisfied with my small box for the Alp12P. It will be nice to see if they can give some better musical muscle on my homemade pre and power SIT amplifier. And maybe they can compete with the super Betsy OB (with Aurum Cantus AMT + Woofer).
These boxes are not to big --- and maybe I can sell my old FHXL with Alp10.2

Best from Olav :)

Years ago I asked around for a little modeling help on a pair of Alpair 12.2P. I had some old Sony bookshelf speakers (SS-U3190, cheap consumer grade stuff) that I pulled the drivers from, mounted a 12.2P in, and used the tweeter hole for a vent - 2" cardboard tube fit in the tweeter cut out perfectly.

Ended up at ~15L or so and a 5" long port. The grills were made to clear the larger Alpair frame so they look like a pair of 90s Sony bookshelf speakers.

I had them in my back room and played incidental music in the background, never really turn it up on that system. The a buddy was looking for a Bluetooth stereo for this screened in patio. We paired these speakers up with an inexpensive Fosi Amp - it even has bass and treble controls.

The guy couldn't be happier. Those things sound great for what he's doing, background music most of the time but he's had them cranked up pretty good a few times and they are still hanging in there. Surprising bass, I hadn't played them in a while when I took them over to his place and even I was surprised at how good they sounded.

My goal was to just get him by until I could whip up some Mar-Ken10 cabs for a pair of Alpair 10 with metal cones since it's still semi-outdoors, but he's pretty attached to the 12.2P.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK. Juliet? Not this i’d guess:

Julieta-Front.jpg

One of Scott’s i haven’t drawn yet? (there are many)

dave

Scott,

Thank you for sharing the new designs - especially the DCR - folks will probably find that quite interesting as double chambered bass reflex cabinets are not that common. :)

Does the Alpair 12P lend itself to a BVR design similar to the one Dave shared for the Alpair 12PW?

Last edited:
OK, you could just said yes to the inquiry. It is one of Scott’s (very recent) boxes not yet properly drawn.

dave
Yeah sure had I understood what you were saying -

OK. Juliet? Not this i’d guess:

One of Scott’s i haven’t drawn yet? (there are many)

dave

- To me your post read as though the photo of the 2-way bookshelf speaker was what you were referring to as "One of Scott's I haven't drawn yet? (there are many)"