allFET circlotron

Hi All

I have start making a voltage amplifier to drive the circlotron with autobias, it is just a test to see what happens, I go drive it with two caps, otherwise I get some voltage, not nice.

tubes are good for getting high voltgage output because I need also to drive it to clip, then I can see what it does with the autobias.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN3618.JPG
    DSCN3618.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 412
What do you think makes the circuit mentioned thermally stable? IRF9520? What is time lag (or constant for the matter) in such an arrangement. It might work if you bring voltages up really slow.

I think that 300 ohms and such big cap, make the circlotron not floating well, starts with uge offset for example, a circlotron needs to be floating well there is also audio signal on the cap to ground, what does that?.

HI

the cap is lowered to 100uf, dont need more

https://circlotron.audio/data/simulation/img/j113.png

this capa is there to get a stable voltage from the floating for the first two stage

There is still a cap into signal path of the circlotron, and the driving of the mosfets, the vertical ones has quite high nC only the irf460 is lower, and you need a beefy driver for bandwith, that is why I have a extra driver in class A before the verticals, it lowers distortion a lot.

see pics, one with 6.5 amps out in 8 ohms and one with 1.2 amps out on 8 ohms, the autobias works nicely.

last pic is bandwith, oke with a extra driver in class a, but need higher voltage for driver section to get mosfets fully driven.

I now mine is more complicated, but needs are high end.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2410 Jun. 03 16.16.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2410 Jun. 03 16.16.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 396
  • ScreenHunter_2411 Jun. 03 16.17.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2411 Jun. 03 16.17.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 384
  • ScreenHunter_2412 Jun. 03 16.21.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2412 Jun. 03 16.21.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Long time ago but was playing with the amp, and discover possible a big error, who is now corrected, I get now very low distortion figures, and fast respons, just by puuting two resistors in, what also did give a low rest voltage so I can use a autobias.

I was started afain because parts for class d coming not that quick, secial with that corona virus things go slow.

Th distortion is with 1 amp idle current, but halving it to 500 mA did not give much more hd.

regards

Attachments

• fast respons.jpg
    fast respons.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 112
  • very low hd.jpg
    very low hd.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 106
I have a question about distortion in the input stage with the jefet, and the differential vas after.

I get low distortion in the output but see nasty distortion in the vas and input stage, I think the input needs changed, here is that distortion seen.

But maybe somewhone can explane, because unfortanely I do not now everything.

Pic is first input, then vas and output, and schematic.
thanks.

Attachments

• jfet-input.jpg
    jfet-input.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 90
  • differential vas.jpg
    differential vas.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 84
  • output.jpg
    output.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 93
  • circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 146
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've also seen this behavior in amplifiers using global negative feedback.

You could try changing the amount of feedback and seeing what happens. More feedback (making R14-R15 smaller) should make distortion smaller at the output and larger in the earlier stages. Less feedback (making R14-R15 larger) should do the opposite.

If that's what happens, you are just seeing negative feedback at work.

I've also seen this behavior in amplifiers using global negative feedback.

You could try changing the amount of feedback and seeing what happens. More feedback (making R14-R15 smaller) should make distortion smaller at the output and larger in the earlier stages. Less feedback (making R14-R15 larger) should do the opposite.

If that's what happens, you are just seeing negative feedback at work.

I have try that now, here are the results, did need lower it much to get rising distortion output.

Do see not much differences, maybe I do load the input stage to much because it go directly to a drainfollower who is a cascaded one, still it has inputcapacitances who do get nasty sometimes.

Maybe the setup is bad, I do use current feedback and no current source there as result, otherwise it will give trouble.

I go read some more here.

Input Stage Distortion

regards

Attachments

• fetcurrent.jpg
    fetcurrent.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 350
  • lowfeed-jfet.jpg
    lowfeed-jfet.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 349
  • lowfeed.jpg
    lowfeed.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Have you tried removing C9?

If I remove that elco, (do not now why it is there killing local feedback) it is some better in higher frequencies.

I have read some about corrections in long tail pairs, and differential drivers, er are al lot readings about, audio amps special analog everything is already used or patented and free again.

I go dawn a normal amp, see what happens there in sim, and read some more.

file:///C:/Users/Gebruiker/Downloads/Input%20Stage%20Distortion.pdf

Last edited:
We maybe the error is because of the offset present on each side, this cancel out offset on speaker but does inbalance the differential inputs, special because it is current feedback, I go try a way to cancel out and test.

The new kind of input amp I did use now, it has the same kind, so the feedback in action is really a possibillity, I do not now how much people here did though on that!

Pics are first is output distortion, second is VAS distortion feedback connected, thirth is output distortion with the new input stage jfet/pnp and fourth is open loop VAS.

We now unbalance in a long tail preamp does go bad. Photo three is with just 120mA idle.

regards

Attachments

• output distortion.jpg
    output distortion.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 303
  • vas distortion-feedback.jpg
    vas distortion-feedback.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 296
  • otherinputdrive.jpg
    otherinputdrive.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 81
  • openloop-Vas.jpg
    openloop-Vas.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wel You never gess what was wrong? I say it, the voltage of the preamp circuits need really to be high because of using cascodes, I have rise it to 80 volts x 2 and now things bevavior is much better, we need enough voltages to drive the output mosfets. Because of voltage error I have removed the ltp and put in a cfb circuit who is suitable for current feedback, and it did work.

The lateral version does the best.

Now to the autobias, I need to inject the bias voltage somewhere, like into the lower vas current sources with a opamp or so.

Attachments

• very low distortion.jpg
    very low distortion.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Wel now I have put some sims here, but now i now also disbalans is a big problem, special when using a extra driver fet into the output section who is a source follower does make it unbalanced in driver section, and there comes the trouble from.

using not a extra driver but using a beefy VAS and laterals, I get quite beautifull numbers.

I can post the circuits, for playing with it.

regards

Attachments

• low drive current input stage.jpg
    low drive current input stage.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 73
  • 12 volt VAS distor.jpg
    12 volt VAS distor.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.2 amp output current.jpg
    1.2 amp output current.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 78
  • first idea input stage.jpg
    first idea input stage.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 159
  • second idea input stage.jpg
    second idea input stage.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 167
Hi all

I do post here a alexander circlotron haha, i was again driven by combining stuff.

yet low distortions, I did try with opamps does work fine but some limited output, need discrete here.

X I have use the alexander preamp for driving the pair in the outputstage.

see the pic, For you maybe, using only the prestage can be interesting for the headphone, a true current feedback amp and fast, some adjustments needed.

The very low hd version is a voltagefeedback one with opamps, however discrete opamp is better, more headroom.

regards

Attachments

• currentcirc.jpg
    currentcirc.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 130
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 149
  • voltagecirc.jpg
    voltagecirc.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 382