allFET circlotron

Ok, the 35v is much lower current it looks like as it is for the front end. How many VA at 35v do I need? Could a small 50VA transformer be enough for the front end? The 50v is for the drivers - and surprised a single pair of IRFP240 can handle +/-50v.

Hi X

for the front end 0.5 to 1 amp is suitable, it draws 105 mA on idle, because of the drivers who need bias high for the irfp mosfets so you can parallel some, because it are source followers it is not so a problem with the input capacitance, but for speed it is.

As for make room on the pcb for more options make it to little room, I do use a tree and 1 transistor vbe multilier, with this we can also go fet.

regards

regards

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I can probably make a small shunt regulator off of the main 50v supply for the 35v supplies if say 300mA is enough current. Use 5W 100R resistors to limit current into regulator supply at 500mA, then use 3x12v Zeners to get 36v reference and maybe TO220/TO126 transistor as shunt transistors to pull 50v down to 36v. I think that's about 3w dissipation max. Or maybe use a dozen 1N4003 in series to drop 7v to take the edge of the voltage and dissipation in shunt only needs to be 1.5w - more manageable. A BD139/140 might even be able to do that.

Or buy a small 25VA 25V center tap toroidal trafo for $11 :)

http://www.antekinc.com/an-0225-25va-25v-transformer/

Last edited:
I did remove the multisim, this buggy software has complete ruin my pc after that, giving 1203 errors and such.

now reinstall it because all the old versions are still there, not deleted by updates.

bad bad software, but ohh so easy to work with. I have lt spice but not models for the mosfets and such who are needed, I drawn then the stuff there and sim it to so the differences.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1289 Jun. 13 13.09.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1289 Jun. 13 13.09.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 213
I did remove the multisim, this buggy software has complete ruin my pc after that, giving 1203 errors and such.

now reinstall it because all the old versions are still there, not deleted by updates.

bad bad software, but ohh so easy to work with. I have lt spice but not models for the mosfets and such who are needed, I drawn then the stuff there and sim it to so the differences.

regards

I do not now if this do have impact for the circlotron itselfs, because it is floating supply, better is a extra small transformer I think, but that is up to you.

Now I go reinstall software and see if it still do crashing al the way.

regards

Hi X

The pc do again what I want, all updates are slipstreamed in iso so I have no problem anymore, there are problems with this updates from microsoft.

Oke, I have sim in ltspice, things are for shure different, zener diodes need other voltages and such.

so for the people here, I include the ltspice file. X maybe you can also play.

Yes it is nice to have a Tina not pirated, because it is most of the time contaminated when use the pirated ones.

However I can not save with Tina demo.

I have tryed to make a account for tina, however it refuses me because of the zip code, N/A also do not work, so I stick with ltspice.

regards

Attachments

• circlotron test.zip
    2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tina is not demo for most people. Saves just fine - maybe doesn't allow full version for non US IP addresses?

Anyhow glad you got you computer working again. For those who are on Win 7 - it appears MS issued a poison pill in one of the last updates in March that causes Win 7 to use 1.5GB RAM and 50% CPU doing nothing so we will upgrade to Win 10. There is a fix for it - search for svchost.exe memory leak and you will get the patch. It may breathe new life into your Win 7 machine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

Tina is not demo for most people. Saves just fine - maybe doesn't allow full version for non US IP addresses?

Anyhow glad you got you computer working again. For those who are on Win 7 - it appears MS issued a poison pill in one of the last updates in March that causes Win 7 to use 1.5GB RAM and 50% CPU doing nothing so we will upgrade to Win 10. There is a fix for it - search for svchost.exe memory leak and you will get the patch. It may breathe new life into your Win 7 machine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

Windows did use 3.5 Gb of ram when updating and 25 to 50% cpu, I have 8 gb memory now and half was consumed. Have slipstream my windows iso with newest updates and when install again things are oke again.

But now it eats again 1.89 Gb memory and I have not yet much on it who have background activity. but cpu use is almost zero. This happens after a update yesterday. For comparison the windows 10 version only eats 900 to 1,2 Gb memory.

But back to ciclotron, now I have 8 Gb memory things runs oke until now.

I have play some with Tina, did mange to download it, see scope and such but how you connect this? multisim is much easy to work with and runs continous in this mode.
Did see much differences when use lt spice and multisim, proberly because of models.
regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 21 11.05.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 21 11.05.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 179
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Kees,
1.9GB doing nothing is about right and par for the course on Win 7 loaded with all updates. That's why 2GB is not enough to run it.

For Tina, you need to connect both scope and function generator. On function generator select sine or square wave, amplitude and frequency. Click RUN and the. Go to o-scope and click Normal sync, then RUN. On FFT analyzer similar thing. I admit this part is not that easy but once you see it it works. And it is real time. You can go in and change value on a component and the scope changes right away.

Hi X no it is just the power section, but things go change, resims did let see the first one is different, now you need no negative supply for the high end, only when the jfet idle current is to low I need a way to get some negative, but it seems that it is not needed.

sims on pictures are 100Khz square, distortion, and bandwidth.

kees

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 15.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 15.13.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 291
  • ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 17.21.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 17.21.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 78
  • ScreenHunter_53 Jul. 03 17.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_53 Jul. 03 17.20.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 221
  • ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 17.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 03 17.20.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 254
Again, because sometimes text is just gone here when go advanced.

I have searchs for hours to find why the ltspice did not work and multisim did.

So people, I am curious you also find it and more quicly then me, and X maybe you?.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 12.47.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 12.47.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 370
I get this schematic not to work in LTspice, it do very strange, when flip the Jfets 2sk170 things don't change, it is the same while the source and drain is wrong connected,, the sim in multisim is oke, changing there the drain soruce will crash the amp.

so I think it has to do with the models.

I can try standart ones, I am now simming because I have sometimes to rest with pcb.

O hh right, the jfets needs to stay negative on gates.

regards

Last edited:
I have now look at it in multisim, also here when switch the jfets drain source do give no change both do work the same in output.

We now why, because connecting wrong will give trouble in real live..

Did drawn a quick amp with jfet, also here connecting drain source however side, give same actions, so it is program who see this? special for the J fets or something, can someone clear this>?

I need clear about if before I go on with pcb, because do things for nothing I do not like.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 13.41.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 13.41.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 143
  • ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 13.51.jpg
    ScreenHunter_ Jul. 04 13.51.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 77
Last edited: