Aleph J-X Amp Project

I got the 600VA transformer in the mail yesterday, and I had time to get it installed today. I changed the rectifiers from MUR860's to some 50A chassis mount bridges because they were running really hot and there wasn't a very convenient way for me to sink them. I ended up with about .2v of voltage drop without a load connected to the PS compared to the MUR860's, 25v instead of 25.2.

I measured the rails with the amp boards connected and I have about 22.2v, lower than I expected, but it seems to be operating just fine, no more mechanical buzzing or excessive heat from the transformer so I'm happy.

And the sound is just fantastic, I don't like describing sound, but in my opinion, it easily beats a gainclone and is very smooth like a SET tube amp. Really makes my little Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's sound much bigger than they are. The amp feels a lot more powerful than the 25w on the spec sheet would suggest, I'm very pleased! :cloud9: Listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela 11:11 on it right now.

A couple obligatory pics..

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 983
Than,

So would the PS schematic listed on page 15 of http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/f4_om.pdf be a goo fit for a mono X-J?

Speaking of whitch. Peter I know you have been busy with your phono stage but have you had time to test the X circut?

Also just throwing this out there, but there have been concerns that using 5 of these amps for my HT might cause issues in the room with ambiant heat. What do you all think?

I got the 600VA transformer in the mail yesterday, and I had time to get it installed today. I changed the rectifiers from MUR860's to some 50A chassis mount bridges because they were running really hot and there wasn't a very convenient way for me to sink them. I ended up with about .2v of voltage drop without a load connected to the PS compared to the MUR860's, 25v instead of 25.2.

I measured the rails with the amp boards connected and I have about 22.2v, lower than I expected, but it seems to be operating just fine, no more mechanical buzzing or excessive heat from the transformer so I'm happy.

And the sound is just fantastic, I don't like describing sound, but in my opinion, it easily beats a gainclone and is very smooth like a SET tube amp. Really makes my little Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's sound much bigger than they are. The amp feels a lot more powerful than the 25w on the spec sheet would suggest, I'm very pleased! :cloud9: Listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela 11:11 on it right now.

A couple obligatory pics..

Are those ebay heatsinks? How warm do they get?

Has anyone completed an Aleph J-X? Pics :D