Aleph J illustrated build guide

Damn greenhorns... :rofl:
Yes that’s correct, but that’s not really the reason I haven’t done it yet. You see the wife has problems with this hobby allready. I am not sure that a backlit fallos on the faceplate, jumping with the muzak, is going to help :rofl:

Hoping for your good health, Vinz.

Here, Covid is getting the best of me and the whole gang. Luckily slowly getting better.

Regards,
Andy

Off topic, but related..

I've enjoyed my Aleph J immensely! But I don't think I will be the type to appreciate the requisite highly sensitive breeds such as Zu and Klipsch. I'm switching gears and about to audition-own some Maggie LRS. There's simply galaxy of options with low loads that are more difficult to drive and methinks I'm going to rabbit hole that for the next couple years...

1) Will the Aleph drive a 2-4 ohm load at say 65-70db with good performance? I can deal with that until I build/find something else. I would hate to cook the output transistors, or in failure end up pumping DC , or a square wave into the transducers for that matter.

2) I won't ever sell my Aleph, but can I rekit this chassis to a more suitable project using diyaudio resources for something like the maggies? It would be ideal if I could just get away with stuffing some new boards where a community like this one has already done all the heavy lifting.

Or pointers to the Aleph-X? I've not found a really good guide for it. That project still seems a bit raw.
Mighty succeeded in a dead stable incarnation of such a circuit. Check his blog!

But maybe the up and coming XA252 could be something for you?

Otherwise one or two 6 deep BA-3 complimentaries with precicely matched MOSFETs and low source resistance would probably do a good job with the loads you suggest. Or BBA-3.

F5T is also a go-to, but very very hif fi sounding, and also pretty unstable and prone to instantaneous explosions if even the smallest error is made in the OS’es :)

Regarding your question regarding whether the J will drive such a load: probably not well, but it can’t hurt to try. The amp will survive :)

Last edited:
Yes that’s correct, but that’s not really the reason I haven’t done it yet. You see the wife has problems with this hobby allready. I am not sure that a backlit fallos on the faceplate, jumping with the muzak, is going to help :rofl:

Hoping for your good health, Vinz.

Here, Covid is getting the best of me and the whole gang. Luckily slowly getting better.

Regards,
Andy
🍻

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mighty succeeded in a dead stable incarnation of such a circuit. Check his blog!

Not just that; for my knowledge, sole existing Aleph X having dominant 2nd, for almost entire power range ........ and that 2nd dominance adjustable ...... even on the fly, if you have nerves trying that :devilr:

now - regarding Aleph X, big efforts needed to make it proper, and not ending with 80W of A Class Beast

beside that, not really invented for superduperheavy loads, that sharing with its origin

But maybe the up and coming XA252 could be something for you?

yup, lightning fast (sound impression) with biiig Cojones

"Will the Aleph drive a 2-4 ohm load at say 65-70db with good performance?"

sounds as classic case for F4, or - if thinking of regular type of amp - BA3

forget F5T - mileage is important there, or it can end in tears, or frustration , in best case

Maggie LRS have landed. The Aleph J seems to hold its own, but goes critical clipping if not careful easily enough. Aside from that getting 75db levels just fine according to apple watch, which is fine for day to day stuff and playing around these panels.

Biasing the Aleph J higher from nominal 400mV with a sitter to say 500mV will achieve what?

... time passed and I tried my old Yamaha NS A-780 integrated with these LRS and its a better pairing in terms of delivery. Its not that great of an amp, or at at least it didn't really like 8ohm loads...

Last edited:
Biasing the Aleph J higher from nominal 400mV with a sitter to say 500mV will achieve what?

Besides more strain on the PSU and therefore more ripple/noise on the rails, and more heat on your sinks, you will achieve a slightly larger class A envelope. But that does bot nescessarily mean a large inmproment wrt clipping levels (maths you must ask others about).

What this goes to show is that even a well constructed and very stable single ended class A circuit will struggle with current hungry ribbon speakers. A good test, it will help you choose future amp.

But that aside: how did it sound when not clipping (low levels?)?

Nightflight, this is recommended reading if not allready read: https://www.passlabs.com/technical_article/loudspeakers-lament/

You basically have to make a choice between several factors in choosing an amp to pair with speakers, especially current hungry ones. Some important ones:

1: Avoiding clipping at desired listening levels (all types of amps, but most relevant for SE, and relevant for all listeners I should think :) )

2: staying an class A up to desired listening levels (push pull amps)

3: Accepting class A/B @ desired listening levels (push pull).

Depending on your own desires and listening levels, this should narrow it down a bit :)

Besides more strain on the PSU and therefore more ripple/noise on the rails, and more heat on your sinks, you will achieve a slightly larger class A envelope. But that does bot nescessarily mean a large inmproment wrt clipping levels (maths you must ask others about).

What this goes to show is that even a well constructed and very stable single ended class A circuit will struggle with current hungry ribbon speakers. A good test, it will help you choose future amp.

But that aside: how did it sound when not clipping (low levels?)?
Its sounds otherwise decent. I believe it to be ok, but lacking a little dynamic impact (within the bounds of ribbon speakers), so it struggles. The Yamaha does much better in this regard. My vintage A760 is a first run unit, which has a passive pre section, dual mono power and notably contains a well implemented PS noise reduction circuit that Yamaha was sued by Carver for. Fun. :)

It Aleph J works, but is not well matched and a bit lackluster. But it still tries to impart its heavily weighted character. When I switched amps the maggies really lit up. They are still factory and breaking in. I encountered some listening fatigue last night - I suspect/hope that's where that came from, seems to have settled considerably after running them overnight.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I finished second Aleph J yesterday and put blue leds on it.
I think it sounds better with blue leds :)

Attachments

• 20220127_080212.jpg
    20220127_080212.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: 1 user