Aleph J illustrated build guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
with dual bridge topology ( 18Vac secondaries are independent, each having own bridge, GND formed after bridges) - phasing of both primaries and secondaries is absolutely, utterly and fully irrelevant

of course, if there are different colors of wires, one can arrange them in same manner through repeating blocks - it looks neater

:)

Aleph J - Dual Mono (Updated Power Drawing Rev 3)

I had some spare time:

- Updated PSU Connections
- Moved Transformer Shields from PSU Board to Chassis Ground

Going to look for Solution to Fuse Both Channels Separately, maybe Wago Terminal Block with build in Fuse. Will look nice and Clean, project for the weekend.

all the best for MIA

Max

Attachments

• DIY Audio - Aleph J (Power) Rev. 3 10.29.21-MX.pdf
    497.3 KB · Views: 198

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It really is an awesome diagram. :) :yes:

The secondaries to bridges are still mirrored, not symmetrical. (Swap the connections of the blues and greens on one PSU… when you see it the lightbulb will turn on…)

Add a CL-60 between each connection from the PSU ground to chassis.

I must be blind, lol

I triple checked and don't see any difference between the connections of the left and right Transformers, unless you mean that I mirrored the Bridges in the drawing to make the connections more symmetrical.

I made the change from your first observation and matched the bridges to the Positive and Negative side of the PSU Boards.

I will add the Thermistors to the Grounds going to the PSU's.

Due to the spade connectors I only have (1) Ground Jumper between the two half's of the boards. I'm thinking of adding (2) More on the bottom of the board between ST_G1, ST_G2 and ST_IN2, ST_IN3 to beef it up a bit.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I am not 100% sure re: WHY, but I do understand WHAT 6L6 was/is saying.

If the part is sitting in the correct orientation in 3D space; the rectifiers on the left channel, the position directly clockwise from the notches will be a green insulated portion (the end of the winding) of the secondary. For the right channel, the position directly clockwise from the notches will be a blue insulated portion (the beginning of the winding) of the secondary. The other 3 follow accordingly / per rectifier / per channel. They are wired differently.

I saw that from your earlier diagram. Now that 6L6 has more clearly explained (along with additional comments from ZM) - I can chime in.

Edited to correct my faux pas with cut and paste to correct the end / beginning of the winding per the spec sheet from Antek. Oh the sweet irony. :) :)

Last edited:
Dual Parallel Mono

I recommend trying a simple stereo build of the Aleph J before attempting a parallel mono build. I think think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Try putting some energy into the power supply first. A dual-mono or separarate mono supplies would be a good way to start.

Yea, that is probably good advice, and i hope you are right about "plesantly surprised". :)

I do not treat or view my hifi setup as a scientific precision instrument. To me it is a slowly and lovingly tuned musical instrument. Details means absolutely nothing to me if the setup does not sing and truely rocks my heart, socks and soul :D

Well, so...

First i am going to build two separate bone stock, stereo Aleph J:s. And make absolutely sure they are playing music beautifully as they are supposed to :)

Then i will test them as a dual mono setup with on channel per stereo amplifier disconnected.

After that: Dual parallel mono Aleph J:s! :)

The only thing i have bumped up in relation to "stock" is the smoothing capacitors: 100 000uF per rail. In total 40x10 000uF.

Aleph J - Dual Mono (Updated Power Drawing Rev 5)

I did the final tweaks, using a fuse for each channel made a lot of sense as one channel can have an issue and get damaged without a single fuse protecting both channels triggering.

let me know if I got all my twists correct, I trolled the forum's and my take was to twist everything with the exception of the input signal to the Amp PCB due to the capacitance.

I also saw comments that you can run solid AC/DC conductor tight together side by side, this would be my preference as it will look neater (like free wire)

Warm Greetings from Sunny Miami,

Max

Attachments

• DIY Audio - Aleph J 2013 (Power Layout) Rev. 10.32.21-OT.pdf
    506.8 KB · Views: 162
IMG20210829102511-01-01.jpg

3D version :rofl:

Joined 2017
Paid Member
SUCCESS!! I’ve just completed my Aleph J monoblock build. It’s operating silent and sounds great this far on my test speakers. Thank you to all who contributed with their expertise. Please feel free to critique what I’ve done so I can grow going forward on perhaps this build our future builds. The only I know I should’ve done differently is used smaller VA transformers instead of the 400VA are in this amp. I will do that in the future because this thing weighs a ton.

I have questions about R8 TP bias. I have a pot 25 turn pot installed there in its mid position. What is this pot used for or TP bias? I was searching through the many pages of this thread but can’t seem to come up with anything yet. Anyone please? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0E4E9396-AE86-40A8-943C-E7D67AE9F07A.jpg
    0E4E9396-AE86-40A8-943C-E7D67AE9F07A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 394
  • A2737981-558C-49D0-97EC-09117677D94C.jpg
    A2737981-558C-49D0-97EC-09117677D94C.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 373
  • AA9141DD-9B91-4E18-955D-DC948EA505CF.jpg
    AA9141DD-9B91-4E18-955D-DC948EA505CF.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 372
  • 8F057C9C-195F-4853-B761-90805C5F35F2.jpg
    8F057C9C-195F-4853-B761-90805C5F35F2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 395
  • CF79328A-D386-43D6-B0F8-804E029024FF.jpg
    CF79328A-D386-43D6-B0F8-804E029024FF.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 366
SUCCESS!!
I have questions about R8 TP bias. I have a pot 25 turn pot installed there in its mid position. What is this pot used for or TP bias? I was searching through the many pages of this thread but can’t seem to come up with anything yet. Anyone please? Thanks in advance

Congrats! :cheers:

Post #1 from the esteemed Mr. 6L6 human gift to Greedy Boyz, should enlighten that question. Seen in conjunction with schematic.

Excited to hear how it sounds!

Regards,
Andy