Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Bob Cordell agrees with you, peppennino.

attachment.php

_

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 502
I am returning to my noisy and distorting AJ with the attempt to find the reason.
Knowing nothing better, I am going to replace LSJ74 JFETs by BC556 just to see if the JFETs are at fault.

Zen Mod, as it was your suggestion, could you please comment if I can just put BC556 instead of LSJ74 without any other modifications? You have already mentioned that "sole programming resistor is what you need to change (up in value - put trimpot if you didn't already)". Did you mean the R7? I have a trimpot of 2K there. Is that good enough?

Thanks.
- Alvis

Thanks.
How big trimpot should I put there then?
Now I have fixed 1K resistor in R8.

To make shure what the test should be then:
Now, when listening with the headpones connected to the output, I hear quite loud hum/buzz (~100Hz), but also some higher pitched crackle/hissing. The FFT looks like attached. Output DC is fine now, very close to 0.

Can I expect that the noises on the output go away with BC556 (and then I know that JFETs are faulty), or should I only check if I am able to set output DC with BC556 but should not expect anything about the output (and there is no sense to try any FFT measuments with BC556)?

I don't have 2K trimpot on hands, will take a few days to source them.

Meanwhile, I desoldered 2 JFETs and checked them in that simple matching circuirt using 9V battery. I got 10.33 mA and 10.20 mA Idss.

I also checked them in the universal tester: both were properly recognized with parameters Id=0.64mA, @Vgs=448mV and Id=0.62mA, @Vgs=434mV. This universal tester is not sure about the pinout: it shows it correctly if stuffed one way, and mix-up D and S if stuffed the other way, but I guess it happens with these things.

Could it still be that these JFETs are faulty and are the source of my problems?

I also tried the HBR and desoldered the input wires from the board - same hum and higher tone crackling on the output.

-Alvis

Thanks, Zen Mod. In my yet short DIY journey, I've build a few amps and some other stuff: some of them from the kits, some sourcing the parts myself. Aleph J is the first one making me troubles. Actually, after all, I'm quite happy about that - this makes me learn the troubleshooting path. Never had trodden this path before.

So, changind the parts it will be!

P.S. I am also waiting for JFETs for Zen version of AJ: PCBs and everythig else are in the drawer already. So, perhaps the biggest change could be the PCB change :D So, I'm hurring to fix my current AJ, as if I replace them with these small little nice new PCBs - my learning path can come to the end :)

need informations

Hello,
i am a new subscriber and i intend to assemble an aleph j amplifier, i have a question for you, i have purchased 2SJ74-BL transistors. not having certain elements to be able to make a comparison, I relied on a test carried out with DCA Pro, these are the results, I wanted to know if you think they can be used.
Here are some pic of the tests performed out on one of them.

Attachments

• 2SJ74-BL - TEST.jpg
    2SJ74-BL - TEST.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 2SJ74-BL - TEST ID-VDS.jpg
    2SJ74-BL - TEST ID-VDS.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 2SJ74-BL_1.jpeg
    2SJ74-BL_1.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 2Sj74-BL.jpeg
    2Sj74-BL.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 241
Question for Chris and others - in your estimation what is the minimum VA trafo that should be used when doing dual mono supplies for the J? Absolutely love the one I build using many of Extreme_Bokys mods, but went compact and built it with a 500VA in a 3U 300mm case. Its dead quiet and awesome, but all these comments got me thinking....

Joined 2002
Paid Member
tricksters,

If they are genuine 2SJ74BL then they will work fine. I suggest you do not match
base on the measurements from the DCA pro. There is a note about that on the
jfet matching page of the diyaudio store:

JFET matching information – diyAudio Store

Instead I would suggest you measure the Idss of your parts using the
simple voltage source (can be just a 9V battery) + resistor method mentioned on
the same page. You can then match based on those measurements.