Aleph J illustrated build guide

Some follow up:
1. You use a bare wire for the ground from the XLR to the Amp board? Any reason it can't be insulated? Esp since you caution not to let it touch the chassis (BTW, I measured a 13ohm diff. between the amp ground and the chassis ground).

I like loose twist and no shielding. It opens up the top register. My interconnect cables are not shielded either. You can use a differential microphone cable (110ohm impedance) if you wish... The 13 ohms vs 10 ohms is the resistance difference between two CL60's at room temperature + additional wiring...

I currently use RCAs, with the Neg input and Ground shorted (connected to each other) at the amp board, so it seems electrically this will be equivalent? I've done most of all the basics to eliminate hum (twisted leads, mains under the floor for instance), but still have it slightly. I notice the slight hum is related to the input leads- unconnected it gets louder when I touch them- some sort of capacitance thing.

RCA input => use ground-lift (10-15 ohm) resistor. This will sort out the buzz/hum.

2. In your middle photo- you're connecting a line from those ties between the 2 PSU boards to the CL60? That's better than connecting one of the grounds on one of the PSU boards to the CL60? So just solder the green line to the middle of a tie or something?

See the photo attached

3. On your right photo, curious about the capacitor you have on the XLR on your right photo?

Thanks so much!

It is an AC path for (any eventual) noise that may be entering the amplifier from the DAC and associated interconnect wiring... I could tell the difference in sound - the high frequencies sounded more natural, pleasing and better extended with the capacitors (2 X 10nF silvered mica).

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 344
In case you don't know how to insert the ground-lift resistor... you can test it first - see the first photo (before) and the second photo (after).

If all good and you can't hear the buzz any more, you can modify the PCB and provide a "permanent" solution - see the third photo (the copper trace).

Attachments

• Ground Lift Resisitor - BEFORE.JPG
    Ground Lift Resisitor - BEFORE.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Ground Lift Resisitor - AFTER.jpg
    Ground Lift Resisitor - AFTER.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Ground Lift - the copper trace.jpg
    Ground Lift - the copper trace.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 328
Thanks so much! Gonna try swapping out the XLRs. Then the "central" ground. Then speaker return to PSU ground; see how it goes. Thing is, I listen to this a lot- so I'm loathe to have it down too long ;-)

And I'd love to build a 2nd PSU for it, but I have space in a 4U case. The Meanwell SPMSs are certainly intriguing.

The XLR shield goes to its designation on the AMP PCB. I used a slight twist of + and - input signal wires and included the shield bare litz (multi-strand) wire in that twist as well. The ground-lift resistor must be removed (if previously used with RCA's, i.e. with amp wired to accept the single-ended input, which was how I used the amp initially).....

Aleph J with XLR's will work reducing-the-buzz wise, but only if the input JFET transistor pair seas equal noise on their gates; this will happen only if the source is equally loading XLR + and -, i.e. only with a true XLR source... If you are planning to use XLR sockets (input), and then use RCA's (link pin 1 and pin 2 on the XLR, you will still need a ground-lift resistor.

You could just install the ground-lift resistor anyway, and then short it out with a piece of wire if you move to true XLR topology. It's a safer option.

I'm running dual mono in a 5U case. Everything is as separated as I can get it short of sharing an earth ground. :) I'm certainly glad I made that decision. I'd never heard one with a single PSU, so don't have a point of reference. Only that mine is bee-yoo-tee-ful!

As do I. Are you dual mono, or monoblocks?
AJ was very good with single PS, but when I went dual mono, ooh-la-la.

I've got boards, components, Cinemags and all for M2x and ZM SissySIT, but the dual mono AJ is so good, motivation to build either has been lacking.

Ha! Truth on every level!

I do have a dedicated space to listen, but would have to reorganize some things to fit all that! I do have some equipment on evaluation loan from a friend (F4, Aegir, Korg B1B, and a truckload of headphones), so I’ll have to time it just right. :p

Attachments

• 1794F0CD-4E44-4990-9719-0CCCE0395906.jpg
    1794F0CD-4E44-4990-9719-0CCCE0395906.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 6DAEB463-303A-4EB8-BB12-7E6F7CA1BAA5.jpg
    6DAEB463-303A-4EB8-BB12-7E6F7CA1BAA5.jpg
    985.6 KB · Views: 266
I'm in the same boat.

"Another amp? What for??"
"Oh, well... that was for my office at work... But office is closed, and we're working from home, so here it is :)" And quite frankly I listen to it every chance I get.

Ergo, the chances of another amp showing up in the TV room: <5%. I also' I wonder if I could sneak in a Decware triode amp some day...

LOL! No, in my case, my wife is worth a thousand 5Us. Hope that never changes. Still, even without wife, I think two 5Us is bordering the need of a dedicated room and a much better system all around, including room treatment. I'm keeping my wife for the foreseeable future! :)

While I do quite enjoy the sound of the Aegir, the Aleph J and F4 honestly walk all over it in terms of spaciousness and “layering”. Hard for me to put it into words since I’m just now learning how to “listen” to music instead of just passively consuming it. But it’s really amazing the distance between them in terms of sound quality. Reviews of the Aegir say it takes on a different life when bridged, but I have only one on loan, and I really don’t think I’ll go out of my way to find a second one. :happy1:

That is lovely! How would you compare the FW amps to the Schiit you have as a loaner?

Last edited:
6L6's recommendation for the AJ to follow up my ACA project worked out so well, now he's on my shoulder whispering "M2X, M2X......".

So, does anybody have a line on mono block chassis with adequate heat sinks?

Maybe I'll go with 2 diyAudio store 4U's, each containing an M2X and SissySIT board. Have to do some measuring and see if they would fit into my IKEA towel shelves/stereo rack.