Aleph J illustrated build guide

When it’s all done, ~$700-$900. And that’s buying everything you can to make it easier, deluxe chassis, Back panel kit, parts kits, etc...

I'm nearing completion on mine and just tallied my parts cost so far. It comes to $886, pretty much exactly in the range 6L6 mentions. That's US prices, using DIYAudioStore, Antek, Mouser, and PartsConnexion.

That's not including tools like solder, soldering station, third hand, dim bulb tester, stripper/crimper, wire cutter, small needle-nose pliers, etc. Also, I didn't go in for "extras" like fancy Mundorf caps, although in retrospect it's not that much extra. :)

Extreme_Boky, thanks for the recommendations. I will look at them.

Awajoy, if you digest those papers and want to write up a summary comprehensible to an interested non-engineer, I'd gratefully add it to my Aleph J Noobs Guide blog.

I've read all the Aleph-relevant Pass papers, but wasn't really able to grasp the concepts well enough to summarize for those with less electronics expertise. I probably absorbed about 20%. I did my best here, but it's what my technical friends would call "a description at the metaphor level": Introduction: What Makes an Aleph an Aleph?

power supply update

I recently switched from a standard bridge rectifier to the fep30dp-3 rectifiers. I also removed the CL60 inrush limiters and installed the soft start board. I do not have time to listen tonight. It will be interesting to hear any changes.

Attachments

• 20201201_163640.jpg
    20201201_163640.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 333
My in-laws are in town until 12/3, so my audio room is out of commission. But while they were gone a little bit ago, I put the shorting pins into my XLRs and switched cables to SE. In addition to the static in the right channel, I now have hum in both channels. There is zero hum with XLRs connected.

I have already replaced the damaged Q2 in the right channel, though it made zero difference, so perhaps the damage was superficial. In my quote above, see all my chassis photos.

In trying to embed/upload the video files of the hum and static, it won't accept .MOV, so here are the links:

AJ_hum_01 | Appeal to Emulsion | Flickr

aj_hum_02 | Appeal to Emulsion | Flickr

Any ideas or suggestions?

My in-laws (love them) have left and, tonight, I switched the JFETs from L to R and R to L. My static sound switched from the R channel to the L channel. I have just purchased a new matched quad of B-grade JFETs from the DIY Audio store. Reports soon.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the forum.
I just finished my first DIY project – Aleph J monoblocks.
Let me say big thanks to all of you who share knowledge and experience with noobies like me. Without that, it would be very difficult to complete the amps.
I have to say that the sound is awesome and exceeded my expectations.

Cheers,
Jacek

I've been offered some very nice 4 ohm 90db sensitivity speakers for a good price and before I grab them I was just wondering how well the aleph j drives 4 ohms.

I know the output power is around half of what it is into 8 ohms, but I don't think volume will be a problem as I'm currently using 8ohm impedance speakers with 87db sensitivity, so over all the volume should be about the same.

But does the aleph j drive 4 ohm speakers well? Is there any loss of bass or anything?