Aleph J illustrated build guide

New transistor arrived yesterday and now the aleph is all up and running. Thanks team for the help and thanks 6l6 for the guide 😁 the amp sounds wonderful.

All I need now is a pre amp (thinking the ba3 front end)
Oh and a better shelf than this old desk

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_133625.jpg
    IMG_20201114_133625.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20201114_111533.jpg
    IMG_20201114_111533.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20201114_111529.jpg
    IMG_20201114_111529.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20201114_111525.jpg
    IMG_20201114_111525.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 263
Joined 2003
Paid Member
New transistor arrived yesterday and now the aleph is all up and running. Thanks team for the help and thanks 6l6 for the guide 😁 the amp sounds wonderful.

All I need now is a pre amp (thinking the ba3 front end)
Oh and a better shelf than this old desk

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 BA3 FE and love them, but also consider the Iron Pre once it hits the store. It is a fabulous match with my Aleph J.

Russellc

I DM'd user @Sov today and he explained that, due to life and other projects, he never found the cure for our shared ailment. In his message, he suspected jfets. Mine are not eBay – I got mine from the store, in B grade. He said he also replaced his capacitors (amp board? PSU?), but to no effect.

Earlier, I said that my situation was only half like Sov's, that I hadn't experienced a high-pitched whistle at shutdown. What I neglected to note is that I usually shut down my preamp first, then source, then amp. It's quiet that way. This afternoon, after removing both XLR cables from the amp and then powering up, and then noting that the right channel static still existed, I shut down the amp first. That's when I heard the whistle. Fck.

Ok, so my problem is just like Sov's. I have zero hum and my amp sounds amazing. It's just that, in between songs and on mute/pause, I hear static in the right channel, at the speaker, and not in the amp.

I should note that a very helpful member of this thread who requested to not be named walked me through the measurements and biasing and, aside from my own newb'ishness, we ran into no problems. The measurements and biasing were a breeze.

Attached below are photos.

Here is video 1: DIYAUDIO Aleph J static - YouTube

Here is video 2: Aleph J static 2 - YouTube

*Edit, thought: If you look at my Q2, you'll see that I added some shrink wrap to it. That's because I initially had it mounted backwards and... I had the Missus pull it out with mini needle nose while I applied the solder iron to its pins. Upon retrieval, a bit of its black plastic broke from the top, exposing some silver beneath. Hence the shrink wrap. Yes, on this right channel. Could it contribute to the issue?

My in-laws are in town until 12/3, so my audio room is out of commission. But while they were gone a little bit ago, I put the shorting pins into my XLRs and switched cables to SE. In addition to the static in the right channel, I now have hum in both channels. There is zero hum with XLRs connected.

I have already replaced the damaged Q2 in the right channel, though it made zero difference, so perhaps the damage was superficial. In my quote above, see all my chassis photos.

In trying to embed/upload the video files of the hum and static, it won't accept .MOV, so here are the links:

AJ_hum_01 | Appeal to Emulsion | Flickr

aj_hum_02 | Appeal to Emulsion | Flickr

Any ideas or suggestions?

I explained the root cause couple of pages back...

My in-laws are in town until 12/3, so my audio room is out of commission. But while they were gone a little bit ago, I put the shorting pins into my XLRs and switched cables to SE. In addition to the static in the right channel, I now have hum in both channels. There is zero hum with XLRs connected.

You should use the pure solid core copper, twisted pair - unshielded. The shield, coming from the XLR connector, should be connected to amp chassis right at the connector (pin 1), using the same screw used to mount the XLR connector to the backplane. You could even use the ground lift at this point: DC coupled using very short wire, OR AC coupled using 0.1uF disc ceramic cap (ground lift). This will drastically reduce the noise pickup loop length.

The amp PCB's will still get the ground reference connection from the power supply board common... and... the slight buzz that many have reported will be completely absent.

Unfortunately, with a single-ended input, this can not be done... so a ground-break resistor could be used.

The input stage on the AMP PCB needs to be relocated to be physically close to the RCA sockets at the back of the amp. Then, the hook-up wiring would be short... just look at Nelson's amps... he "terminates" his input loom as soon as it enters the AMP.

Last edited:
Well I've already bought the stuff to do the ba3 pre. But you've convinced me. I'll do both ��

let's just brainstorm the topic of pre-amp here for a second.

Aleph J is a two-gain stage, single-ended pure class-A output amplifier. It simply can not get any better than this. In other words, the source signal will be amplified by the least possible number of transistor: one for voltage gain, one for current gain.

Placing any pre-amp (additional gain stages) and an extra pair of interconnects (AND RCA contacts!!) between the source and Aleph J, would be criminal... but I em Extreme in my approach.... to simplicity.

let's just brainstorm the topic of pre-amp here for a second.

Aleph J is a two-gain stage, single-ended pure class-A output amplifier. It simply can not get any better than this. In other words, the source signal will be amplified by the least possible number of transistor: one for voltage gain, one for current gain.

Placing any pre-amp (additional gain stages) and an extra pair of interconnects (AND RCA contacts!!) between the source and Aleph J, would be criminal... but I em Extreme in my approach.... to simplicity.

Well i actually have been using it without the using the pre amp in my old Yamaha amp and I do prefer it like that. But I would still like to try a couple preamps and see if i like the that way

I know how you feel. The BA3 is a great pre, and has some gain if you get into a situation where you need gain. You will love the FE.

Russellc

I plan on building an F4 at some point in the coming months anyway so if i dont like the ba3/aleph combo I can always use it for that. Ill look into this iron pre too as I dont think I can go to wrong with having an extra preamp around as long as the funds allow it :D

If you did not already have the BA-3 FE, I would recommend the Pass DIY B1 with Korg Nutube preamp. It works very nicely with the Aleph J to produce a rich, natural sound. The gain is overkill for my man cave, but works very well in my living room that shares a larger, open floor plan with my dining area and kitchen. This little triode preamp gives my Audio Research LS7 tube line stage a good run for the money.

I understand that Wayne’s Burning Amp line stage is also an excellent preamplifier. Let’s face it, we’re a spoiled bunch with an almost infinite number of choices for the path to audio nirvana.

The korg nutube b1 was actually the one I originally wanted. But I missed the pre order. Though I'd still like to build it at some point, I'll probably wait till they're back in stock with the full kits.
All these choices and I know I'll likely end up doing most of them 😂 too hard to say no

offset and bias problems

I had the amp running for over 200 hours and decided to replace R7 and R27 with a fixed resistor. The offset and bias were rock solid. While I had the amp boards out, I wanted to take care of a few things on the power boards - like get them hardwired to the amps boards.

Heres what I did:
Power supply boards - from diyaudio
replace 3k bleeder resistor to 10K
replace 5K LED resistor to 10K
remove outbound snubber capacitor
remove outbound snubber resistor
remove euroblocks and hardwire connections

On the amp boards from diyaudio:
remove R8 and replace with 1K ohm resistor
remove R7 and replaced with appropriate resistor
remove R27 and replaced with appropriate resistor
replace LED resistors with 10K resistor

After getting everything buttoned up I had some issues. The fixed resistors didn't give the results I was hoping for - offset and bias were off. Things were so far off, Q5 and Q7 smoked a bit on one amp and turned the 0.47 resistor, on the other channel, brown that it was so hot. I replaced the pots, but no good.

Once the pots were back in and powered it back up, the offset was 5V at minimum and bias was high at partial. I powered up using a variac and could only get to 40% before offset went to 15 and bias tried to run over 1V. I shut everything down.

I tested power supply voltage before connecting to the amp board, 25.3 for both + and -. The - side ran anywhere from 1 to 7 lower that the + once connected back to amp boards. The negative side also takes about 10 minutes to drain caps, the + about 30 seconds.

Maybe I've been looking at this too long and have overlooked da simple mistake. TIA for any insight into the problem.

Make sure that the resistors you inserted, instead of the trim-pots, are correctly soldered to their correct eyelets - it can get confusing a bit (trim-pots with their three pins; two of which are shorted via PCB traces)

Double-check the wiring. Also, make sure the wires are not protruding the AMP PCB's too much; otherwise, they'll be touching the ground.

You had to remove the AMP PCB's - make sure that there are no shorts on any MOSFET's, to ground.

I had the amp running for over 200 hours and decided to replace R7 and R27 with a fixed resistor. The offset and bias were rock solid. While I had the amp boards out, I wanted to take care of a few things on the power boards - like get them hardwired to the amps boards.

Heres what I did:
Power supply boards - from diyaudio
replace 3k bleeder resistor to 10K
replace 5K LED resistor to 10K
remove outbound snubber capacitor
remove outbound snubber resistor
remove euroblocks and hardwire connections

On the amp boards from diyaudio:
remove R8 and replace with 1K ohm resistor
remove R7 and replaced with appropriate resistor
remove R27 and replaced with appropriate resistor
replace LED resistors with 10K resistor

After getting everything buttoned up I had some issues. The fixed resistors didn't give the results I was hoping for - offset and bias were off. Things were so far off, Q5 and Q7 smoked a bit on one amp and turned the 0.47 resistor, on the other channel, brown that it was so hot. I replaced the pots, but no good.

Once the pots were back in and powered it back up, the offset was 5V at minimum and bias was high at partial. I powered up using a variac and could only get to 40% before offset went to 15 and bias tried to run over 1V. I shut everything down.

I tested power supply voltage before connecting to the amp board, 25.3 for both + and -. The - side ran anywhere from 1 to 7 lower that the + once connected back to amp boards. The negative side also takes about 10 minutes to drain caps, the + about 30 seconds.

Maybe I've been looking at this too long and have overlooked da simple mistake. TIA for any insight into the problem.

What would cause Q5 and Q7 to pull enough amps to cause the loading resistors to smoke?

there are so many active parts ..... try first with buzzer diode test, to locate where you're having shorts

compare with good channel, if you have one

I pulled all the MOSFETs last night and found 4 of them that were bad. I could only check using the diode check on my multimeter. Placing negative test probe on the drain and positive on the source, I got a reading of .532, reversing the test leads and there isn't any reading. This is from a new MOSFET. My burnt ones allow current to flow in either direction testing drain and source and I get readings from gate to sink, and gate to source.

Will using the diode test like this tell me if if the MOSFET bad?