Aleph J illustrated build guide

Hey All,

I just completed an Aleph J build, and now I am burning the amp in my system. I only experienced one glitch during the build where I damaged the JFETs while installing them and tightening the ties. Fortunately, I was able to get a matched quad of the Toshiba 2SJ74 BL JFETs from eBay seller Punkydawgs where I have purchased transistors from in the past. This time, everything tested well and it sounds great right from the start. There is a faint hum, so I’ll rotate the toroidal transformer to eliminate it.

Anyway, thanks for this excellent build guide 6L6. It made building and testing this amp a lot easier.

30AA544B-096F-4A1F-A245-0B510BC78C23.jpeg

63136C97-74A6-4160-919E-267DADFCB1BE.jpeg

B6B46757-E183-4ED6-81B5-5A41C1F66A8B.jpeg

This amp has a big sound if I can call it that. It is also very nicely detailed with great separation of musicians in the soundstage. I am very pleased with this amp. It sounds different from the Pass DIY Sony VFET amp and my McIntosh MC240 tube amp. They are all excellent in their own ways. To my ears, this amp almost has bloom like a tube amp. Is this due to the single ended nature of this amp design? I like it!

I need to get my measurement gear in place and analyze this amp’s output. Thanks again.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll route the ground with V+ and V- to each board. I’ll start with trying the transformer rotation and then change my wiring. I do like Zen Mod’s suggestion the best (ha ha), but I’m trying to coordinate the Aleph J with my Audio Research gear. I also have the B1 Korg preamp with the green LED and black Aluminum chassis.

The chassis is the 4U Deluxe chassis from the diyAudio.com store. I bought the optional handles and then drilled out 5mm dia. holes for the LEDs and countersunk the holes using. 1/4 in. bit on my drill press. I used a Sharpy permanent marker to color the drilled and countersunk holes and you’d swear it was anodized.

As the amp has been playing on, it’s really sounding great. I am very pleased with how this has turned out, and I am confident I can tackle the faint hum.

FIRST WATT

read about H2 an Korg B1, then read everything else

point is in phase flip of dominant harmonic - you'll always prefer one phase over other

Thanks for your reply, Zen Mod.

Also, just to share my AJ build.

Attachments

• 8DAF3CE0-F894-4219-A051-7A389A2E00B6.jpeg
    8DAF3CE0-F894-4219-A051-7A389A2E00B6.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 326
  • C68E345E-CA9E-4CBC-8821-3046DAF29AD8.jpeg
    C68E345E-CA9E-4CBC-8821-3046DAF29AD8.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 3F27436C-4B95-4514-8E99-B12A9AD26446.jpeg
    3F27436C-4B95-4514-8E99-B12A9AD26446.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 324
The chassis was built for the AJ. I had two of the heatsinks waiting for an appropriate project for it. But then came my interest with AJ and I thought using two might be an overkill so I decided to risk with one. Turns out one is more than enough. Temp stays around 35-39degC, though in an Aircon room.

Standoffs for IRF MOSFETS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aleph J chassis guide

PCB standoffs.

These may be too short for the Aleph J depending on what output transistors you use, I had no problem with the Fairchild Mosfets, but the IRF might be too thick, requiring the simple fix of using slightly taller hardware.
I haven't used the IRF first-hand and cannot verify that there is or is not an issue. Again the fix is very easy. (All the threads are M3)
Forum: Pass Labs
Assigned Moderators: N/A

Posted by: 6L6
Original Content:[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the size of the standoffs in the DiyAudioStore backplate kit? I am about to place a follow up order with Mouser and have the IRF MOSFETS from the DiyAudioStore. I would like to include the longer standoffs in my order.

Thank you.

Jazzzman

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hey All,

I just completed an Aleph J build, and now I am burning the amp in my system. I only experienced one glitch during the build where I damaged the JFETs while installing them and tightening the ties. Fortunately, I was able to get a matched quad of the Toshiba 2SJ74 BL JFETs from eBay seller Punkydawgs where I have purchased transistors from in the past. This time, everything tested well and it sounds great right from the start. There is a faint hum, so I’ll rotate the toroidal transformer to eliminate it.

Anyway, thanks for this excellent build guide 6L6. It made building and testing this amp a lot easier.

View attachment 885290

View attachment 885291

View attachment 885292

This amp has a big sound if I can call it that. It is also very nicely detailed with great separation of musicians in the soundstage. I am very pleased with this amp. It sounds different from the Pass DIY Sony VFET amp and my McIntosh MC240 tube amp. They are all excellent in their own ways. To my ears, this amp almost has bloom like a tube amp. Is this due to the single ended nature of this amp design? I like it!

I need to get my measurement gear in place and analyze this amp’s output. Thanks again.

Great Build!