Aleph J illustrated build guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks.
I took the input stage from the "Aleph 5" schematics.
I was able to get the appropriate values for the RCA input, but I don't understand what I need to do with the XLR input.
Please consider the resistor values as "tentative".

observe changes on input and also caps at Aleph CCS

I didn't run sim , don't need to

when using RCA input , all you need ( and you really need it!) is to ground neg input

Attachments

• Aleph 3.E.OFFSET.asc
    13.1 KB · Views: 74
The two voltage source (XLR and RCA) interact!
One has to run the two simulation independently, with two different schematics, with the other voltage source deleted.
Version "Aleph 3.E.RCA" is topologically equivalent to the original schematics found in the Nelson Pass paper.
Thanks

Attachments

• Aleph 3.E.XLR.asc
    13.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Aleph 3.E.RCA.asc
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Aleph 3.F.XLR.asc
    12.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Aleph 3.F.RCA.asc
    12 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you asked for proper schematic and values of input part , and I gave you that

I can't teach you how to simulate , I'm pretty much greenhorn in that too , learning new things only when I need them

if you search a little , you'll find several well laid and functional simulations of Aleph ; any will do , just edit rails and number of outputs and few resistor values and that's it

Sorry about that, but now I'm even more confused!
You said
If you search a little , you'll find several well laid and functional simulations of Aleph ; any will do , just edit rails and number of outputs and few resistor values and that's it
I searched a lot, and it seems that models and simulation is a "nowhere land".
If I don't understand it'm my fault, for sure. Otherwise I wouldn't asked for help.
You said
when using RCA input , all you need ( and you really need it!) is to ground neg input
And when using an XLR input?
On the other side you previously said
R102 10K
in schematic you show us in post #3212 , just ignore (leave unpopulated) R7 position , and suddenly you'll have proper arrangement
So, what I'm tring to understand, is: R7 (or R102, in the Pass schematics) should be there or not?
This is the difference among the "E" version and the "F" version.
that schm will work , but bad
Why bad?
Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I gave you working schematic

for more , best to find comprehensive tutorial about OP-amp , plenty of these online , either as articles or books for download

there you'll find explanation for each resistor on both inputs of OP , what's their role and preferred value

maybe I wasn't careful enough , but now you confused me ....... and I'm not willing to chase you between several schematics , when you're not following what I'm replying

Aleph is an Aleph is an Aleph ........ differences are mostly rail voltage and number of outputs

if you see one having balanced inputs , you can understand how to make any of them having balanced input

when using balanced input - you are using both negative and positive input of amp
when you choose to use unbalanced input , you're putting signal in positive input , while negative input must be grounded , either with shortie bridge put in XLR (pins 1&3 ) or small switch, without need to add or distract any resistor from circuit

what's there to not understand ?

but now you confused me ....... and I'm not willing to chase you between several schematics
I don't want to discuss (only) the schematics, I want to understand the different topologies. And as far as I know there are only two possibilities, and not several.
The one proposed with the "J" and the one proposed by the "5":
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On one side you see the -XLR left (apparently) floating, o the other you see -XLR connected to the ground by a 10k resistor.
Why I don't see any
small switch
So it seems not quite true that
Aleph is an Aleph is an Aleph ........ differences are mostly rail voltage and number of outputs
Me, I was interested in the "3" because my simulation of the "J" fails with a wild auto-oscillation, while the simulation of the "3" works perfectly. I shall recheck the models: I trust the millions of diy'ers that have built the "J" successfully.
But ... when designing the "3" Nelson Pass forgot (or wanted not) to put the XLR input.
So, why I cannot have the best of both worlds?
An amplifier
  1. I understand (and working unbelievably well at the simulator)
  2. having both inputs: XLR and RCA
Thanks again

Last edited:
The -XLR in the AlephJ isn't left floating. Nelson provides a little wire jumper that is inserted into the XLR connector to tie it to ground when the RCA input is used.

Post your .asc of the 'J'. (According to Nelson, the 'J' sounds better than the '5'. Given that I'd spend my time figuring out what's wrong with your 'J' sim rather than adding balanced input to the '5'.)

Look up the Aleph 30 ...

I went searching and thought that I'd found it here:
The Aleph30 PCB layout
but that's a schematic for the Aleph 3.

Eventually found the Aleph 30 manual that has the schematic at the back via this post:
Volksamp Aleph 30 schematic and parts list needed
(attached the pdf for convenience)

But (as far as I can make out) there's no switch to opt for XLR/RCA - check a pic of the original article's back plate:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• Aleph 30 Manual a30manr0.pdf
    225.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I have a really stupid question.

I am trying to match my IRFP240s. I have calculated that with a 24V supply that I will need a 25 Ohm resistor for the correct current.

So, while I wait for the 24V PSU that I ordered, I used a normal 12V PC PSU to check things out. I am seeing a Vgs of around 7.8V. I was not expecting it to be so high, and I am dropping 4V over the 25 Ohm resistor which gives my about 160mA.

What is going on here?

BTW, I have mounted the MOSFET on a heatsink, but it is not even getting slightly hot.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
go figure

Attachments

• Mosfet-0A5-CCS-Ugs-matching.jpg
    Mosfet-0A5-CCS-Ugs-matching.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 365
Can you show how you are hooking things up/schematics used for your measurement?
Maybe someone will spot something.

I am using the diagram as pictured on the last page of this document: PassDiy

I will check out your way, ZM.

Yes, I am using 22 AWG wire to connect the lot up, as in the attached pic. The resistor is a Caddock MP820.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 370