• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

I don't understand the reason for using an external USB/I2S converter with Mirand dacs..
Internally the highest quality conversion is from the onboard XMOS usb converter. It is galvanically isolated. Does DoP / native DSD. Up to 256.

What would be the reason for external converter?
I am curious!

Ciao, George

I don't understand the reason for using an external USB/I2S converter with Mirand dacs..
Internally the highest quality conversion is from the onboard XMOS usb converter. It is galvanically isolated. Does DoP / native DSD. Up to 256.

What would be the reason for external converter?
I am curious!

Ciao, George

I see your point clearly, using Singxer F-1 to output i2s is a bad scenario. Actually I would like to totally escape usb output by using rpi + Ian's fifopi and output clean native DSD256 i2s or 128 DOP i2s to Mirand dac.
Is it workable to bypas onboard XMOS and give direct i2s input? The CMOS level i2s can play up to 192KHZ/24Bit only.

Then i need to know what the board needs to be like to run with the fifopi. Can you help me with that????

Then i will provide a board with that.

Hi Sonny,

This is the info about the fifopi, which is a rpi's HAT that provides galvanic isolation from rpi and reclocks i2s to output to rpi dac or external dac.
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

This is the example of implementation from fpi + fifopi board to an external dac like what I intended for Mirand dac :
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

For the spdif input on Mirand, I have bought your daughter board which has AES xlr input together with this coming Mirand dac. For rpi side, I will intend to use coming PI2AES board together with rpi+fifopi to output spdif to Mirand. I want to do all these to evaluate different sound quality on various types of inputs. But of course I will still test out usb input on Mirand dac for dsd256 playing. Thank you for your help into this.

Last edited:
I have checked up on the fifopi. As i see it we have no signal from the FIFOPI for showing the DSD/PCM data type.

The AK4493 DAC chip does have autodetect, but it limits some of it modes.

The Powersupply section is the same for the AK4493 as in the USB DAC V1.2a

I have choosen for this board to add a ATmega328PB. And will add the debug-port interface that is used on Arduino board. ISP header for programming and deep debug via debugwire.

The AK4493 is controlled through the I2C port.

There will be a 20 way header for expansion. 1xI2C 1xSPI 1xUART + some gpio pins. ... What ever is available on the ATmega328PB (32 pin package)

I have checked up on the fifopi. As i see it we have no signal from the FIFOPI for showing the DSD/PCM data type.

The AK4493 DAC chip does have autodetect, but it limits some of it modes.

The Powersupply section is the same for the AK4493 as in the USB DAC V1.2a

I have choosen for this board to add a ATmega328PB. And will add the debug-port interface that is used on Arduino board. ISP header for programming and deep debug via debugwire.

The AK4493 is controlled through the I2C port.

There will be a 20 way header for expansion. 1xI2C 1xSPI 1xUART + some gpio pins. ... What ever is available on the ATmega328PB (32 pin package)

This board will cost around 91€/pcs. It will also have a Masterclock block that provides low noise 45.1584 and 49.152MHz clock output.
This clock block can of course be disabled. All signals are connected through U.fl connectors.

This is an additional board which allows i2s input to Mirand dac 1.2 and bypasses the xmos usb and beside the other daughter board which enables AES xlr input?

With this new board a source can output i2s up to dsd256 to it and it connects with Mirand dac? Could you show a sketch diagram how all these are connected?

Last edited:
It is a separate dac board..
The DAC board is already very compact. And if i should do another run on the DAC board to Enable this it would require a certain amount of work on the pcb and firmware.... Plus extensive testing.
Pcb is actually a complete new pcb layout because i need to change pcb from 4 to 6 layer...

The AK4493 support pcm768 and dsd512....

You see lateboomer i cannot acommdate it All in that small board size. Where do you find a dac board with isolated USB, reclocking, 11 ultra low noise regulator, i2s port, microcontroller, src4392 for optical and spdif...

In size 80x115mm???

The pic is getting clearer now, sorry for slow comprehension, my technical skill is limited. So instead of Mirand 1.2, I could pay the difference and opt for this new dac running AK4493? Actually I am content with dsd256 and 22/24 clock group, moving to AK4493 can have better sound quality than AK4490 implementation? This AK4493 dac can run either in master mode or slave mode?

Last edited:
You can opt to get this extra board in your Delivery.
The AK4493 always runs in slave mode. It needs the master clock as well as the data. But compare to the ak4490 it can detect dsd signal.
Regarding the USB dac v1.2 i changed to the AK4493. There was a few changes in the pcb and the reference voltage is lower so Max output voltage is lower. S/N ratio is better and also thd from the AK4493.
So the DAC is not outdated. It May be using cheaper crystal with close to crystek oscillator performance but the reduced cost here is used on better dac chip, better clock domain.. Total performance is better.

I spoke to vitalie earlier today, and I will together with sb acoustic release a n active cross over. This active cross over will be real highend. The adc and dac chips will be akm topline adc/dac. Programming through sigmastudio... Not hidden behind a hypex or minidsp interface.. Full access to All function. It will have 4 Channel. And xlr / rca input.