• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

I mean the new board AK4493 should have have all input features of AK4490 which is SRC4392 for spdif and xmos usb input that applies full galvanic isolation and also can be fed with external power. Besides it also have u.fl connections for direct i2s input which bypass usb xmos input if need to be. That is what I meant.

The USB DAC with AK4493, SPDIF, optical, I2S (Through SRC4392) and XMOS USB is already made.

I am not going to make a new board layout unless there is a high demand for it.

The DAC board will be 10mm wider, so it would not fit the old position if it is tight.
Secondly it would take me 2 weeks concentrated work just to get the PCB layout right. Then 1 week test, than maybe a second PCB run if there is bug in the PCB.

So if someone need a "AK4493 DAC only board", i would make it but i need to be sure as such a board will take me 2 days to do the PCB design alone.

- Sonny

There is miss communication from my side, I am very forgetful and didn't log on here for a long time to follow progress. So the dac already being changed to AK4493 in page 158 which my mind still stick with AK4490 in page 119. No wonder I keep missing your points. My apology and sorry for that. So I am good with AK4493 what is available now.

So let me repeat myself you could consider to design another AK4493 board with u.fl connections only that can accept fifopi input if there is request, am I right? If I am interested I can pay euro $91 for this second board, am I right?

Last edited:
There is miss communication from my side, I am very forgetful and didn't log on here for a long time to follow progress. So the dac already being changed to AK4493 in page 158 which my mind still stick with AK4490 in page 119. No wonder I keep missing your points. My apology and sorry for that. So I am good with AK4493 what is available now.

So let me repeat myself you could consider to design another AK4493 board with u.fl connections only that can accept fifopi input if there is request, am I right? If I am interested I can pay euro $91 for this second board, am I right?

Yes you are right.. it is a second board.

So If you and michip is interested then i would start make the design.

And it was 91€/pcs

Ok. My bad for taking for this long to grasp what you meant, that is why I am called lateboomer. I think I will give this a pass first because I don't see the need to have 2 dacs of same type aka AK4493 but have different inputs. Although I am curious which one is better in term of sound. So I will stick with my current AK4493 board and wait and see what other guys' take on this second board.

From my latest reading at Audiophile Style forum, it seems the consensus is still the USB dac gives the best sound quality although usb input is noisy in nature and need some after market special products to clean up/reclock the usb input.

Last edited:
Ok. My bad for taking for this long to grasp what you meant, that is why I am called lateboomer. I think I will give this a pass first because I don't see the need to have 2 dacs of same type aka AK4493 but have different inputs. Although I am curious which one is better in term of sound.
No problem... Some times it can be Hard to follow everything

Yes you are right.. it is a second board.

So If you and michip is interested then i would start make the design.

And it was 91€/pcs

Sonnya,

in order to decide if going on with this version (i2s input only) I need to know more about the DAC v1.2.
- Is it available?
- Can I purchase only the dac PCB ? (I own the v1.0 and would like to swap the discrete output stage I already have).
- Costs?
- Is it possible to control the volume or do I need the preamp?
- If so how is this done ?(buttons, remote… etc)
- What about the compatible user interfaces ? (oled display, led only pcb,…etc)

Sorry for all these questions but a complete specification (similar to what you issued in the past for the v1.0 version) is lacking so I am not in condition to have a clear picture of the product and to understand if it meet my needs..

Thanks

Makes sense with Documentation :blush:

Without oled We have this frontpanel. You can attach an 38khz ir receiver and a encoder...

Volume can be Controlled with encoder or Apple classic remote.

There is 3 firmware for it... One for oled, 7 segment.... standalone...

Oled and connected to preamp as well can be loaded using a serial port and Windows software... IMG_20190515_140244.jpg

Sonnya,

in order to decide if going on with this version (i2s input only) I need to know more about the DAC v1.2.
- Is it available?
- Can I purchase only the dac PCB ? (I own the v1.0 and would like to swap the discrete output stage I already have).
- Costs?
- Is it possible to control the volume or do I need the preamp?
- If so how is this done ?(buttons, remote… etc)
- What about the compatible user interfaces ? (oled display, led only pcb,…etc)

Sorry for all these questions but a complete specification (similar to what you issued in the past for the v1.0 version) is lacking so I am not in condition to have a clear picture of the product and to understand if it meet my needs..
Thanks

:up: :up: :up:

In post #1877 you spoke about a third panel version more simple than the 7 segment display. It would be interesting to have an idea of the expected features.
In addition to this you have not confirmed yet costs and availability date of V1.2
Thanks

With Simple Frontpanel + encoder and without output stage it cost 428€
It is available. They are getting assembled as we speak.

Besides the one that we should ship out, there is 14 pcb in stock that needs to be assembled.

We will order parts for the PCB every Friday and Monday, so that we can start assemble them on Monday/Wednesday. So what is ordered up til Friday or Monday 14pm GMT will be purchased the same Friday/Monday. And we will then start assembly the following Monday/Wednesday. Assembly of DAC boards takes 2 days. Test takes 1 day.

So Ordering until Friday or Monday 14pm GMT, will be shipped the following Wednesday or Friday.

Prices

• USB DAC V1.0 MAIN Board : 169€
  • USB DAC V1.2 with simple frontpanel + encoder + IR Receiver : 428€
  • Discrete Output Shield SE : 220€
  • Discrete Output Shield XLR : 320€
  • OLED frontpanel : 127€
  • Preamp Discrete : 480€
  • LPS V2.1 : 120€
  • MIRAND A1 V1.2 : 199€

We have ordered Apple Classic Remote today and they will be in the sets for free. It is due to the delay that have been.

I can only respond on my own account.. but I would confirm that the conventional engineering practice with U.FL connectors that surface mount sockets are used with pre-assembled ~ correct length stubs..

If one do not do this, the signal integrity requirements are not satisfied.. one could use pieces of wire with the same effort..

Ciao, George