• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier

My xformers just arrived recently and my chassis builder is working his magic on a container for this sexy beast. One question as I'm completing the BOM... the power toggle is almost $30. I'm probably going to go with something a third of the price unless there was special thought in selecting that particular one. Assuming this would be just fine: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/S21A?qs=EIJ16CYJdOtkBg/U3OjO5Q==

Last edited:
A new reference point in other words.
I haven't listened to both in the same amp, but from what I read the standard Lundahl is fuller sounding and the amorphous core is more detailed. It's more of a personal preference than better/worse. Based on my preferences the lower cost iron is what I'd prefer to hear from a tube amp.

Reactions: 1 user
I do find my self obsessing over the attack of the pluck on the strings and decay of the body of the instrument.The harmonics of the hammer hitting the strings of the piano. Positional ques on live performance. Music is such a complex assortment of auditory content, and the electronics chain has an impact on reproduction. I laugh when someone thinks a simple AP analyis represents all the complex content.

It is unfortunate transformer winding is becoming a dead art, tubes have held on longer than I expected however the quality suffer compared to nos and I expect they will go away by the end of the next generation. Vinyl has had a resurgence but I think more novelty and they too will disappear as well, much the same as a lot of early sound reproduction technology.

I do find my self obsessing over the attack of the pluck on the strings and decay of the body of the instrument.The harmonics of the hammer hitting the strings of the piano. Positional ques on live performance. Music is such a complex assortment of auditory content, and the electronics chain has an impact on reproduction. I laugh when someone thinks a simple AP analyis represents all the complex content.
What headphones are you using with the Aegis?

I am currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD 820s I purchased used, I do have an embarrassing amount of headphones but this was a leap into the next level. I put a pair of ZMF pads while it is questionable of the sonics they are more comfortable. The Sennheiers are from my vantage a entry level headphone into this realm however they are no slouch.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
@Cauwil I'll make a substitution in the BOM for a carbon film instead, will update it shortly. Seems carbon composition resistors are becoming scarce from commercial manufacturers. They are just grid stoppers though, the 6SL7 is not likely to oscillate, so a carbon film substitute will do just fine.