• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier

Hello LordGwyn, thank you for sharing your build! I'm quite interested in assembling it and have already purchased most of the necessary components. However, I have a question for you guys regarding the power switch. Would it be possible to substitute it with something like this?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...AV1921P724Q04?qs=oOQ3ApaRe9CYT2e%2BP0G%2BGg==

I think it has 3 pins. If it's possible, can you guys guide me on how to wire this, and would I need resistors to make the LED work?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
(looks at build guide)

giphy.gif

Wow.

Very well done, congratulations!!

👏

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hello LordGwyn, thank you for sharing your build! I'm quite interested in assembling it and have already purchased most of the necessary components. However, I have a question for you guys regarding the power switch. Would it be possible to substitute it with something like this?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-PB/AV1921P724Q04?qs=oOQ3ApaRe9CYT2e%2BP0G%2BGg==

I think it has 3 pins. If it's possible, can you guys guide me on how to wire this, and would I need resistors to make the LED work?

For a switch like that, you need to derive a DC power supply for the LED. There is an unused 30VAC center-tapped winding on the LL2758 mains transformer that would probably be the best way to approach that. There are eight pins on the switch... six for the DPDT 250VAC switch, two for the LED. The switch has built in resistors, make a 24VDC power supply from the 30VAC winding and apply to the + pin and ground the - pin.

Reactions: 1 user
I completed the Aegis project, the kit docs is perfect, no error. The circuit is beautiful, very stable. Btw with the volume at max, there is no noise in the headphone, no hiss, nothing, just perfect, pitch black silence, very impressive.

Here a few measurements, tested into a 33R resistive test load, EL34, 6SL7 and 5AR4 tubes:
Gain (depends on Headphone Impedance swithc on the rear): 13.3dB/16.8dB (Vin 1V, Vout 4.64V/6.89V)
Bandwitdth (Ref 1V, 1Khz) = 54Khz, lower limt is so low that it is difficult to measure with my setup, at least<14Hz
THD, 1Khz, Vin: 100mV= 0.02%, 1Khz, Vin 1V: 0.05%

Me and a friend we compared this amp to all my other DIY headphone amps I made and a few commercial ones as well, and this one is the best in every aspect, period!
It is an expensive project, but it is worth every penny.
This is really an exceptional headphone amp.

Take note that the assembled amp weights a ton! it is really heavy, because of all the superb Lundhall irons aboard.

Thanks for sharing this superb project.
I built it for an audiophile friend, now I have to make one for me I'm afraid...
SB

Attachments

• 20230714_164555.jpg
    20230714_164555.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi. I placed an order for 5 sets of pcb last week, and they are on their way. Already one sold and one for me, so 3 left.
Asking 10U$ + shipping to you + Paypal 3.5% fee. send me a private email if you want one. I won’t reorder this set.
Btw shipping charges of my pcb order, with some other pcb, was 78U$. Shipping costs these days are crazy…
scornDefeat send me an email at bergeron.syl@gmail.com
SB

Second Algars review, I have been listening to mine nonstop for a week and love the sound. In the past headphone listening was for when I could not use speaker output, now this amp is the best seat in the house. Build was a walk in the park and two other builds got pushed back in the queue due to ease of build on this. I like it so much I need to buy a new DAC for it, and new tubes, new headphones oh boy.
Bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: 2 users
Oh my ... Looking forward myself, but I actually need some more equipment beyond the amplifier.

I've decided to build a custom RPi transport/streamer, based upon the Compute Module 4 without WiFi to get rid of unnecessary RF and EM. After this, the I2S signal will go through Ian Canada's FifoPi Q7 to get cleaned and re-clocked. The Master clock (MCK) will be governed by The Well Audio Drixo and Freq doublers. This is then followed by the Fet Audio FDA-1B /Merason DAC-1. Which, for the uninitiated is a fully differential and symmetrical PCM1794 NOS DAC which is using a fully discrete I/V stage. The I/V stage is similar or based upon Nelson Pass D1 DAC's I/V stage. The PSU will consist of Ian Canada's ultra capacitor's.

The main change I will do is that the DAC will be proper dual mono. I might throw in an Optical network as well.