Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Still working on how to implement the whole thing using a free-standing horn.
I like this - the waveguide suspended on strings and below it there's room for virtually anything.
It looks like it could tip forward if unlucky... otherwise a really nice and airy solution. The "strings" I don't understand...

I got my SB CD and playing them sitting on the floor with 2nd order 800Hz HP. Seems good.

Looking at the G2 stuff for the ROSSO, its total "depth" incl. CD will be: 174+46+54=274mm?

//

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looking at the G2 stuff for the ROSSO, its total "depth" incl. CD will be: 174+46+54=274mm?
That's correct.

1716107199467.png

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much, this is indeed valuable.

Are the SPLs in the comparison supposed to be directly comparable? I don't quite understand why there should be such a big systematic difference above 2 kHz, as the beamwidths should not be much different. Also, the LF extension would be somewhat dissapointing, compared to the upscaled EXAR version. This is indeed interesting, and as always, suprising to a degree. The EXT-1 just came out from the simulations as very smooth, but perhaps it's not the best solution for a maximum LF extension (although the throat impedances should be close, I will check that). That's the nice thing - a different adapter, closer to the upscaled version, can be easily tried as well - I will send you an STL. Otherwise, if measured without reflections, the G2 waveguide should be a bit smoother overall.

Could you perhaps measure it (once) close to mouth?

Are the SPLs in the comparison supposed to be directly comparable? I don't quite understand why there should be such a big systematic difference above 2 kHz, as the beamwidths should not be much different.
I also don't understand why there such a difference above kHz... the measurements were taken from about the same point just with a change of horn. But I have to check it again, now I'll eat my ramen and do another set of measurements, I'll post a report later.

As for the levels, to be comparable, you should have the mic the same distance from the driver (at least on axis). The more so if the whole distance is not very large.

But maybe it makes sense, as the "tubular" part of the EXT-1 doesn't decrease the level as much as the conical part in the other one. Could it be 3 dB? I wouldn't have expected such difference.

It would be great to see the 36mm STD-1 adapter as well :) Especially for a comparison of the LF performance.

Last edited: