Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Yes, the results seem very good. Of course there will be some additional HF beaming because of the enlarged throat (which was in fact already designed to be 1.4", originally, and then extended to 1"). Good to see it works so well. Admirable work, thanks.

I think the Gen2 iteration I'm working on (about the same size) will be a killer.

Reactions: 1 users
how/if scaling works ok?
I think it works. The only "problem" is that the driver screw seats don't match the 1.4" driver, but I was able to screw everything in through the available holes without much difficulty. And I still need to make more accurate measurements to see the HF behavior in detail, but everything seems to be ok. Subjectively, the horn sounds better than RCF 950 horn.

It also means that if the directivity collapes around 14 kHz for a 1" throat (which is typically fine), it will collapse around 7 kHz if just scaled 2:1 (and that would bother me). That's the reason for a bit different overall approach to each throat size, typically. It's not so simple in the end, and 2" throats can be tough.

The example that @olegtern presented turns out surprisingly good in absolute terms, even though it is effectively a 2" throat (but it was designed as 1.4", which is not so different). And of course the low-frequency extension is remarkable with that driver. It may well be the best result achieved so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the exit angle of RCF ND940?
I could already prepare an extension directly for this driver for the new Gen2 waveguides.

- Still wondering about a phase plug expansion itself. Shouldn't we look more closely on this as well?
Obviously, different expansion rates lead to resonances when combined. So we should eliminate all the unwanted ones.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any information about exit angle of RCF ND940/950 (I think they are identical on this point). Is there any way to measure this? Just for illustration, this is what its exit hole looks like.

1713169610532.png

Thanks a lot, so the phase plug terminates at the very exit of the driver. Some would say hence the exit angle should be zero (assuming the wavefront to be flat), but I'm not really sure it's the absolutely correct way of doing it. Which leads back to the question what is the (total) expansion rate of the phase plug itself. There shouldn't be a discontinuity, IMO, if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The basic estimation can be done simply by measuring the (projected) entry area of the slits and the length. And in a case that the phase plug channels have straight walls (i.e. conical, pretty often), this can be quite accurate. Certainly better than no idea at all. It means to open the driver, take out the diaphragm to reach the phase plug from the inside.

Nothing destructive, but it may need plastic calipers, or just a good paper ruler :)
Careful with anything magnetic near an open driver (!).

1713172634884.png

Last edited: