Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Thank you, this is really valuable. What I noticed now, what was not obvious before, are the little spikes at roughly 1.7 - 2.7 - 3.9 kHz. These seem to be common to both cases, which suggests it's actually the waveguide (or something else, common to both). They should disappear even from the spectrograms if EQed out, though. In fact, I can imagine this could be ringing of the horn. Maybe this could be confirmed somehow.

Regarding distortion, larger diaphragms should always have an edge towards the lower frequencies. That's to be expected.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
With a passive crossover, this can still be tricky. Anyway, it should be possible to do much better than this.
Certainly a lot easier going to active route:

1711306331114.png

Reactions: 1 users
And there is no reason not to use both, some passive parts to manipulate impedance and affect distortion performance, and independently optimize frequency response (and even phase) with DSP. I find it really archaic to limit oneself to some certain technology as everything seems to have pros and cons it's then logical to mix and match to get top performance.

Does anyone know what mesh frequency to use?

I've been using 1000Hz for years, and noticed that many of you are using a much higher frequency. In increased things to 20khz, and the sim never finished. I've backed it down to 16khz and so far, it's taken nearly 24 hours for the sim to reach 67%

I have an eighteen core CPU and 64GB of ram and it's still taking over a day to finish a sim...

There's a 3+ year old post with some guidelines here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6234490

That post is a bit confusing to me, as it recommends a mesh frequency of 1khz, but I see people using frequencies that are 20khz and even higher?

It depends on a model used. With a full 3D mesh you're typically limited to several thousand elements in ABEC to work smoothly (I always try not to exceed 5000). But this is best controlled by the mesh resolution parameters in the Ath scripts, not mesh frequency (which is kept low, e.g. 1 kHz, so that ABEC doesn't subdivide the mesh further itself). In CircSym mode (axial symmetry) however, the usable limit for mesh frequency is much higher - several tens of kHz are no problem. And even this is possible to "overwrite" by a large number of segments in the script (always the best approach), so the mesh frequency itself has no actual relevance.

Finally got around to getting my own models & whatnot running in the new AKABAK. I've been really curious what the predicted impact of having a hole in the waveguide for MEH style horns actually is. Generated the profile in Ath4 so I could compare the my solidworks -> gmsh -> akabak workflow and make sure I wasn't messing anything up. Results dont look pretty to me (unsurprisingly) and I think it really solidifies how much better an approach like what genelec is taking could be. Maybe some interesting information for some.
View attachment 1286556 View attachment 1286557 View attachment 1286558 View attachment 1286559 View attachment 1286560
I don't see those results as bad. It's a wiggle of a couple of decibels.
And you can probably clean it up with some clever positioning and hole shape.

I agree, it might be maskable etc, and maybe with careful hole placement, it could be minimised. but its only going to 'smear' the result.

to me, it probably makes more sense to try integrating the driver into the waveguide, a-la genelec or this martin speaker, this one is full range. but if you limit the low end like the genelec, you should be able to the the excursion below 1mm, allowing you to have a smooth interface with the horn. I'll put up some tests with that in soon. but using the axial mode, it seems you can displace the surfaces by that much and not do too much to the response at all.
1711675866264.png

5d.jpg

It weights 1135 g, 550 mm mouth diameter - I made this one very light.
I haven't tested the center of gravity yet but I guess it will be somewhere near the mounting point with a driver attached.

(The gap between the base and the petals is intentional. One of many lessons learned.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Marcel: are you going to offer the Exar550 files via cults3D? It is now sooo long I follow this thread and also made various sims on my own...but never built something 😱
As I have hf1440 here as well as dcx464...that would be a nice project with little time effort as its ready to.print/use!