Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, this is The Sandhorn (0 - 80 deg / 5 deg, normalized to 10 deg and raw) -

attachment.php

(Measured with Faital HF108, courtesy of miero.)

Attachments

• sandhornB-norm-10-0-5-80.png
    sandhornB-norm-10-0-5-80.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 856
  • sandhornB-0-5-80-cormin.png
    sandhornB-0-5-80-cormin.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 369
Hopefully I get to measure it soon. I have it all prepared to try to measure the exit wavefront, which could be some fun, finally.

Can’t wait to see the results. My wife is planning on expanding her coffee roasting business and is talking about me constructing an incredible sound system for the planned cafe retail space. I showed her the plans for a meter-long midbass horn (see attached) and she has already given me the green light. Hopefully the ATH and midbass horn will be a happy marriage.

Attachments

• 9FBAFFB2-2656-4812-8FAB-F9C925406B33.png
    9FBAFFB2-2656-4812-8FAB-F9C925406B33.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 326
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another vote for CE360.

Then a 1.4" model later on...
Yeah, that was my idea as well.

The crowdfunding approach is safe in the sense that if not enough money is collected for the goal, everyone is returned their amount back and it simply won't happen. So there's really no limit on what projects are started - at least it could be tried.

Yeah, that was my idea as well.

The crowdfunding approach is safe in the sense that if not enough money is collected for the goal, everyone is returned their amount back and it simply won't happen. So there's really no limit on what projects are started - at least it could be tried.

Sounds like a plan. Not sure if you've been on other forums as well. I think there is a big enough market between here, AVS forums, Audio Science Review, homecinema-fr, and others I don't frequent.

You're right about not agreeing on a driver. A universal model would still be a lot better than the alternatives.

These would be fun to combine with open baffle woofers as well.

I would buy four in the first batch.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes. And perhaps I should also mention that all I do is intended for home hi-fi use, I'm not interested in sound reinforcement systems (PA in general) - that's quite a different world, I suppose.

I do both, most PA applications would want horns that can be baffle mounted and have differing HxV dispersion (due to reflections). In general off-axis is as important as on axis in PA so quite often there are sound quality sacrificing design choices like diffraction slots. Although there are some freestanding horn systems from Void, in general they are hard to transport and array. There is a lack of suitable large horns for 1.4" coaxial compression drivers though:
Suggested Design: 15SW100 / DCX464 / ME464 Point Source - YouTube

I think that the best bet is simply to make the throat angle large enough. The higher the exit angle then, the better. The worst thing that can happen is that it will require some slight additional EQ. After all, this is not meant to be easy, but at least available. People will never agree on something as a compression driver.

that is true, but you started this journey and all of us followed to get best possible WG for a given CD and to minimize use of EQs. And after all effort given (first of all yours, I am exhausted when see how many pages thread has :):)) I think that WG should be done with smallest amount of compromise.
Finally there is a lot of CDs with wide exit angles so you can pick what you like and make it for it, everybody else can use that CD or whatever he/she want.
Or you can pick up a few and we will make voting.:nod::nod::nod:

I attached list of CDs with exit angles. I did not do measurement, but I think they are correct. A least it is some guidance.

Attachments

• exit angles.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 102