Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

In previous posts I think you have suggested keeping the ThroatAngle at 0deg during simulation and then changing to the exit angle of the CD in real life. Is that still good practice?

To be correct, the sim should contain the throat of the CD. Hence the sim should have 0 throat angle, but be extended down to the actual location of the diaphragm. I assume here that there are insignificant slope changes in this extended region.

I figured out an easy way to transform these mesh files to solids in Fusion 360. Took a while and lot of frustration but ended up being surprisngly simple way. Import mesh, use mesh section sketch, edit that sketch and tell program to put spline in on top of the profile. Edit to thickness and revolve. To non axisymmetrical it takes bit more, combining bodies, etc. but can work with solids rather than mesh.

Question: If i got 1" comp and i'd extend the horn throat along its opening angle, let's say 20 degree, all the way to make it 2" opening and would then calculate horn to end of it by using this software, would it work? I'd imagine it would increase loading but what else would likely happen?

It is a pain to see these coarse walls...

(Slightly less) coarse walls may actually improve guidance.

798792d1575156805-acoustic-horn-design-easy-ath4-newhorn-png

The mounting holes have to be filled though.

Anyone tried (with success) replace mesh in Abec project generated by ATH4 with mesh from 3D CAD (Solidworks, Fusion etc)?

That'll be tricky, because there's two surfaces in the ABEC model generated by ATH4:

1) there's the mesh for the waveguide

2) there's the mesh for the aperture into the room

It's one of the reasons I don't do a whole lot with ABEC anymore; it takes so long to make the 3D model, I can often design and print one in real life faster than I can design one for ABEC.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The colorful horn worked pretty well, but I decided to sell the FBT boxes in original shape, they needed just a small crossover fix in one box. I am setting up my own 3D printer to print larger horns for standard drivers. The RCF was not worth further experiments.

That'll be tricky, because there's two surfaces in the ABEC model generated by ATH4:

1) there's the mesh for the waveguide

2) there's the mesh for the aperture into the room

It's one of the reasons I don't do a whole lot with ABEC anymore; it takes so long to make the 3D model, I can often design and print one in real life faster than I can design one for ABEC.

In the past I was able to optimize meshes fairly easily by using Geomagic Design X, as well as their plugin for Solidworks.
Also for Rhino sophisticated (discrete) surface optimization plugins are available, such as Evolutetools and VaryLab.

However, one will soon run into the limitations of even the most advanced mobile workstations while working with large meshes.
A desktop workstation with sufficient RAM and processing power is mandatory.

Last edited:
In the past I was able to optimize meshes fairly easily by using Geomagic Design X, as well as their plugin for Solidworks.
Also for Rhino sophisticated (discrete) surface optimization plugins are available, such as Evolutetools and VaryLab.

However, one will soon run into the limitations of even the most advanced mobile workstations while working with large meshes.
A desktop workstation with sufficient RAM and processing power is mandatory.

Bateman googles "Geomagic Design X"

"Artec Eva, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $35,990. Artec Space Spider, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $43,350. Artec Eva and Space Spider, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $55,290."

:O

Bateman googles "Geomagic Design X"

"Artec Eva, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $35,990. Artec Space Spider, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $43,350. Artec Eva and Space Spider, Geomagic Design X and one year of Artec Studio Professional for $55,290."

:O

DIY = Priceless (in the broadest sense of the term :D)

Last edited:
It's widely known that a glossy/flat/super smooth surface of the inner horn walls is to be avoided.

isn't the inside surface tension of the wave guide or horn a matter of weather or not you want to generate drag (friction due to turbulence/resistance) on the outside edge of the wavefront as it leaves the mouth? for example a smooth surface will help to keep the exiting wavefront flat while a rough surface will result in adding some drag to the outside edges of the wavefront making for some curvature all be it a very small amount?

isn't the inside surface tension of the wave guide or horn a matter of weather or not you want to generate drag (friction due to turbulence/resistance) on the outside edge of the wavefront as it leaves the mouth? for example a smooth surface will help to keep the exiting wavefront flat while a rough surface will result in adding some drag to the outside edges of the wavefront making for some curvature all be it a very small amount?

Possibly, even though I doubt aerodynamic principles apply to acoustic wavefront propagation inside a horn/waveguide.

I refer to this:

Attachments

• Wave Reflection.jpg
    Wave Reflection.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 291