Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
on posted picture he clearly distinct HOM's and breaking modes. I don't know about driver high frequency resonances but it seems to me that marked HOM's are occurred at too low frequency to be mixed with
That (Mantaray) horn is a mess of reflections and diffractions. That he chose seven events and marked them as HOMs, and at the same time three of those marked as "diffracted waves" on another picture is nothing but a mess as well. How could you take anything from that?

Last edited:
Re: dispersion vs. "resolution"... In free field you are wrong. In reality, it might be subjectively true in a specific room - but I doubt it. But maybe you can prove it somehow?

//

All you have to do to prove or disprove this is take a measurement....raising directivity raises direct energy....direct energy is always more accurate than indirect

In free field....the only measurement you'll get is direct energy. In the room, I think you can see the relationship between direct vs indirect energy (ie reflections)

raising directivity raises direct energy....direct energy is always more accurate than indirect
This a big oversimplification. Getting the right balance of indirect energy at the right time and from the right direction with the right spectrum is a tricky thing to do and is one area where musical style and personal preference play a large part in what one individual may pick that another does not like at all.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks quite minimum phase to mee, no?
The problem is, as I've just found out, that the frequency response, at least how ARTA calculates it, stays minimum phase even if a room reflection is included in the time window. Basically it seems I can't do anything that would make the FR non-minimum phase above ~500 Hz.

That makes the whole excess group delay reasoning seriously flawed, I would say. Now I'm really confused as I thought that diffractions and reflections would cause some excess phase in the overall FR but it seems they don't :confused:

The problem is, as I've just found out, that the frequency response, at least how ARTA calculates it, stays minimum phase even if a room reflection is included in the time window. Basically it seems I can't do anything that would make the FR non-minimum phase above ~500 Hz.

That makes the whole excess group delay reasoning seriously flawed, I would say. Now I'm really confused as I thought that diffractions and reflections would cause some excess phase in the overall FR but it seems they don't :confused:

Reflections cause several sources. Can´t be minimum phase. Can be seen with Clio.

Sorry, made an error in hurry....

Minimum phase ocoures only when there´s no time invariant parts in the amplitude responce. Minimun phase is calculated (and this from memory, my memory) via some sort of Hilbert transformation from the amplitude responce. The calculation can´t know what part is just ripple or room reflections.

To get "real excess delay" the sample must be "clean" of extra stuff.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
... To get "real excess delay" the sample must be "clean" of extra stuff.
My idea was to look at the difference between the minimum phase (calculated from the measured amplitude response) and the actual measured phase. Could you show how does that excess group delay look like with a recflection included? Your previous EGD plot also suggested minimum phase and I suspect it won't change with the reflection.

(I assume all pure delay is removed from the picture but that's just an unimportant detail.)

Last edited:
Well, no.

Checked just some old measurements and can´t be sure if my thinking is correct.

The excess part holds mainly it´s positon on the graph even if I take one or two reflections in
to the "Window".

I´ll just sit down and think for awhile before I open my mouth again....

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe someone with a more fresh theoretical knowledge would know this - how is the frequency response supposed to change if we just repeat the impulse response and calculate the FR from that?
So it will be some comb filter but will it be minimum phase? It seems so.

I think I have to install and finally start using Octave.

Last edited: