Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I have always been interested in porous boundaries as they would have a big effect on all but waves parallel to the surface (the zero mode). In this later case the effect would be smallish, but for HOMs it would be large.

Hi, sounds interesting since this kind porous material could be used in a MEH midrange tap as well: let the mid driver play through while simultaneously reduce diffraction effect for the tweeter that plays across the tap? I tried to search more information about this but couldn't identify one, I just don't have any knowledge on this. Could you or someone else suggest what to look for if I wanted to learn more about this difference between zero and higher modes and porous surfaces?

ps. sorry for polluting the thread with the MEH stuff but this seems very interesting :)

I'd be more interested whether is such a horn a minimum phase device at those frequencies. Don't you know?

I would suspect it is. Than the loading would be just irrelevant.

- Maybe it's the right time to get the impulse responses from the simulations. Then we could extract the excess group delay. Has this been done?

Last edited:
- Maybe it's the right time to get the impulse responses from the simulations. Then we could extract the excess group delay. Has this been done?

If you choose Fourier response from the processing menu in VACS you get this from an SPL contour plot, copying a single selected value to another window should give a single impulse rather than them being grouped like here

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fourier.jpg
    Fourier.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 685
To illustrate the smoothness of the pressure field :)

(Grey areas are outside of the color range, i.e more than -60 dB from the throat. 3 dB step.)

Attachments

• HF1440WG-670Hz.JPG
    HF1440WG-670Hz.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 269
  • HF1440WG-1,39kHz.JPG
    HF1440WG-1,39kHz.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 256
  • HF1440WG-3,6kHz.JPG
    HF1440WG-3,6kHz.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 259
  • HF1440WG-7,5kHz.JPG
    HF1440WG-7,5kHz.JPG