Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I see a conical exit driven by what is most probably supposed to be a flat wavefront. I may be wrong though.

If the phase plug was so designed that it produced a spherical wavefront with a radius matching the cone angle, then it would be the correct way. We don't know unless we measure it, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
What's so respectable about that? It's still only a single curve, measured strangely. The horn can still behave quite badly - you just don't know from this picture.

It is true that we know little about the horn, except that it can be used from about 400Hz in combination with the B&C (selected by Paul W. Klipsch himself).
We also know that its successor - the K510, is among the best commercially available waveguides.

Last edited:
I see a conical exit driven by what is most probably supposed to be a flat wavefront. I may be wrong though.

If the phase plug was so designed that it produced a spherical wavefront with a radius matching the cone angle, then it would be the correct way. We don't know unless we measure it, I'm afraid.

Perhaps Dr. Geddes knows. He probably worked with such drivers during his time at B&C.

I still have issues with splitting the high frequencies between more horns, I don't think it is a good idea - I consider a proper integration hardly possible. That's why I don't even think about designing such horns. All such systems I heard sounded flawed to me.

As usual, I agree completely. Multip0le horns are not only unnecessary, but a detriment to a great system design.

I do believe that the intense focus of "which" driver to use is misguided. I have found that the driver makes very little difference, the waveguide design will dominate the results. And IMO, B&C makes just about the best "value" in CDs today. Ever since I started to work with them I have been impressed by their capabilities. Although their lead designer recently left and that will have an impact.

Perhaps Dr. Geddes knows. He probably worked with such drivers during his time at B&C.

AT the time I worked with B&C they had not considered the wavefront shape. I did enlighten them to it's importance and we devised tests to determine what it is (the same test that Mabat is attempting to recreate.) But, after that point I no longer worked with them and do not know to what extent they pursued the concepts.

Dr. Geddes has stated several times that loading isn't as important today as it was in the past.
I tend to agree to some extent. Once you'd like to use a driver down to 600Hz, or even lower, you're gonna need a horn that 'helps the driver'.

Yes, that's true, but let's be clear on the context of my statements. In the passband loading is not critical, but of course as it falls to 0 as F -> 0 (cutoff,) where this occurs (F) is very important and the waveguides shape and size will determine where this is. But the loading above this point is not so critical.

In my designs I use the waveguide/CD system well below the passband and this works well as long as the system is used at reasonable levels such as in home use. This would NOT be a good idea in Pro applications however.

Last edited:
I have another minor upgrade - this time without the need to touch the driver, 1.4" again:

Original OS waveguide:

attachment.php

Modified profile:

attachment.php

Attached are also normalized data.
Want to know what the magic is? Simply use a profile for a greater nominal throat radius (2*r in this case) ;)

Attachments

• orig_norm.png
    orig_norm.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 2R_norm.png
    2R_norm.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 350
  • orig.png
    orig.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 919
  • 2R.png
    2R.png
    25 KB · Views: 649
  • 2R_imp.png
    2R_imp.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 103
IMO, B&C makes just about the best "value" in CDs today... Although their lead designer recently left and that will have an impact.

Roberto Magalotti, I assume?
He's now Director of Acoustic Research at Bowers & Wilkins, so he moved from B&C to B&W.

I've owned several B&W loudspeakers over the years, but (luckily) got bored with MOR hifi products a long time ago.