A tale of 12" subwoofers, distortion and 15 dollars.

It does look like a beast that Orbit!

I went and bought BFM's Tuba HT plans. Not the easiest of plans to follow. Nor the easiest box to build. I have to admit, I get a little depressed at the thought of the time it takes to build something so relatively small. I get paid to put kitchens together and the largest usually don't take more than 3 days. It looks like a full days work, a 3x3 box!

BP, I was thinking 30" for wodth.

Question for you, and anyone else who wants to chime in. PE lists my woofer as having an f3 of 21 in an almost 27 cubic foot box as a high fidelity suggestion from bass box pro ported. What size port would that be and would it sound good?

I have the real estate to build 2 of these behemoths and a sheet of 3/4 maple ply for the exposed front since I'd go 8 foot tall.

I do want to get in on the horn sound, I wish they were easier and quicker to build. I work enough with wood and my tools are more suited for field work. I sent an email to the guy in Scottsdale listed as a woodworker on BFM's site to get a quote for build cost. Haven't heard anything. I saw a flatpack somewhere it was like $375 so I'm guessing a built Tuba is easily over $1000.

Anyway, reason I'm excited now, the ADHD adult child I am, about building a couple tall towers with my PRV's is that they sound really good. They just don't play low loud. Porting them sounds like a way to help this and I get 2 benefits. With a box that big i can plug the ports when i want and enjoy them sealed, which I've done. For most music, most of the time, they are sufficient. I can finally get started on finishing this space in my house and leave enough of a cave on the corner side to slide whatever wheeled cube of a Tuba or something on wheels into it behind a barn door for movies and the occasional window rattling session.

Sorry to burst the horn bubble. If I could hear one or get one built for a decent price that would help. Trust me I do want an excuse to get a hold of the RSS390 driver. It's quality and looks it too.

Holy schnikes!

Copied from GSG

"By way of comparison, a UM18 driver has an efficiency in the upper bass of about 0.5% (one half of one percent), while the Devastator has an efficiency in the upper bass of 25%, which is 50 times.

This sounds like a heck of a lot of fun, especially for movies, but do you benefit when you are just listening to music at reasonable spl levels?

So I just (hijacking this thread even further) paced my great room where I need a bass solution. It's 25x31 ten foot ceilings and 2 hallways running into it.

How much spl do I need? Not just for music but I would like cinema quality HT.

What do you think I'm getting with the PRV's?

I like that the GSG website has a table comparing their subs. The flat packs are reasonable too. Most of their subs aren't horns but they do have a lot of output!

I do want to get in on the horn sound, I wish they were easier and quicker to build.

The simplest horn you can build is a single fold tapped horn. At minimum, a TH and BR are only 7 panels not including bracing. You could build a 16ft TH with 8ft to work with.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 272