A tale of 12" subwoofers, distortion and 15 dollars.

If you tell the simulation information I need merely describe a circle do it in parts it might spit out some information about circles that is meaningful it might represent the ultimate circles in existence whatever does it isn’t my fault it’s hard explain or hard to share this information I pointed out a few things in supplied some simulations to pull apart and dissect if people have that have it they haven’t If you haven’t looked in the right places in those there’s more other drivers and versions of it show more and here’s a thing if circle spin and they become in a certain position where they’re located because they spun for a long time and that’s how things work when I happens you could take a bunch of marbles and throw them around a gigantic bowl with a hole in the center and in slow motion you could under the right conditions in with the right waiting a whole bunch of details that are impossible but for the sake of conversation you can re-create whatever it is and record in slow motion and present yourself our solar system exactly as it is in that way

So it shouldn’t be too hard to understand that whatever that is if you describe circle spinning to a software that’s all about Circle So it shouldn’t be too hard to understand that whatever that is if you describe circle spinning to a software that’s all about CircleThe results would be the same. The results would be the same and the thoughts that were exactly the same they actually are there just in the details of how that they’re slightly different just like the details of how things are slightly different by other things being around them or they’re still spinning out the last time they ran into each other or something ran into them.

No matter what everything that’s happened on the planet earth is part of that spinning cycle and will repeat itself whether that’s obvious or not it doesn’t matter that’s a fact our seasons in our sun rise every morning change every for three months four times a year does the tilt of the earths axis changes every 6480 years in a cycle that’s 25,920 years Above that we arrive at 432,000 years is another cycle associate with another offset shape in our orbit and many many of them no different than 14,40nMinutes in a day and four spins around the sun in degrees and the orbital radius of Saturn well represented by 1224 4896 and 192 , And good grief you could split that into two parts at 860 repeating itself and you find that and the same to you along with never ending sequence of numbers in 860 intervals including everything. representing exactly as it should be as 14620 hint hint leap year 365.25×4 and guess what got that right too ?? horn response!!! Yeah! all those numbers are in the and the way their time on earth or dimensions in the of the sun in miles or kilometers or distances to planets in their position are all in form response exactly and it ain’t hard to find them because they say -990 dB they have an extra zero on them as they should and that’s how this works that’s how everything works so I 1440 is 1462 at a great distance in time or length and actual distance if you don’t understand that don’t worry you don’t have to but you canAnd observe it and then understand how it works just like I did have one response taught me how the universe and a bunch of Einstein and Tesla type things function because it soon as you give them a response the right information so we could spit out the right information it certainly does make no mistake about it it’s amazing but then again it is it because it’s just a circle ?

Ask David McBean why , if you describe to the pH mode the parts of a circle broken into the parts of a circle represented by the speed of light (or just say 30 I don’t care at this point) why does produce out of babdwidth I the frequencies well above the subwoofer pass. The exact numbers that define every landmark in our universe and more than I even know ? why I don’t know? why the software does it but I know why that is how it is .

the connection between the two would be fantastic because that would further even more ways to look at this and how it defines everything. Everything the speed of light isAnd everything you just have to look a little harder the math the radius of the sun squared is the speed of light .

that starts at the center of the sun . One proton one helium four atomic mass units of an isotope with no electron it becomes fusion and all that energy given off that’s what we’re talking about here still at this point you right now quarter wave Away from the service on math and physics behind all of this right now is what we’re trying to share or somehow will arrive at that hopefully

There’s a number attached to a flood (with all do respect to your screen name which is a person in the same book as well as an event in that book earlier before the discussion of that 33-year-old man is things that occurred and I recorded all books of all cultures similar to that Bible that is in numbers in ways that aren’t a science-fiction movie they’re real so is the evidence of them the same as everything else ) story about it I hope I don’t have to point out the fact that two will be represented chronologically cycling distances time and all of that even it sounds like a science-fiction movie it’s a fact and it’s a fact represented by horn response

Last edited:
I don't have a good answer for you Rhaspody about listening at low levels because I usually listen in the 70-80db range. However, the original Dayton HF seemed hesitant to move until you really turned it up.

As far as micro or any kind of dynamics the Morel is king. With many subwoofers a quick change in the song is kind of smeared over with a boom but the Morel will separate the notes, with a good dynamic punch on the beat. There are many factors but I think this is mainly due to the big coil having good control of the cone.

Thanks for sharing. That's a good way of thinking about it, not just listening at louder or lower volumes.

Some songs just have louder and lower parts, especially classical orchestra. At the soft parts, some woofers seem to sound more dulled than others. It applies to subs as well, but much more critical in the midbass/woofer in a 2 way system.

Just wondering if you noticed any drivers excelling at that, or being particularly poor. If the high Qms /low Rms theory holds, then yes the dayton RSS315HF has low Qms and high Rms, also the UM12.. Do you think it is why the rss315HE sounds better than the HF or UM12?

For midwoofers, the dayton RS180p etc are excellent - good motor strength, inductance control etc... But they all tend to also have low Qms high Rms - high damping suspensions..

One last angle- inductance of the motor, presence of shorting rings. How do you find this affecting the HD/IMD measurements as well as subjective listening impressions?

There are opinions that shorting rings don't work in subs due to the low frequency range, and there are great sounding drivers without ring - lab 12 and Mag 12?

In your experience, is there a value where the inductance starts to negatively affect the subjective sound quality of the driver? For midbass, there are good ones up to almost 1mH...for subs, probably up to 2mH.

I've seen rythmik vs JTR subwoofer comparisons where they say the rythmik absolutely disappears, you don't know they are there until there is bass content, and then they can really shock you. While a JTR, you know there is a monster lurking just waiting to pounce. It has that growl and presence that some love. The same people will tend to find the rythmik too clean sounding.

One reason for this difference may be the inductance /servo controlled distortion in the rythmik. The older JTR (pre RS) models didn't use shorting rings in the motors. Can see the higher average HD in the 40-100hz range across all output levels in the databass measurements.

Last edited:
Rhapsodee,
I've been using these 5" Celestion drivers https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/celestion/celestion-t5687a in an MTM setup for a few years and I feel they sound dull at low volumes but better when louder. The have relatively high losses (RMS) for their size.

So most drivers seem to follow this pattern, however the 12" Audio Technology seemed to be an outlier. It's QMS is only 2.5 but it seems to do well with fine details in the bass line. My hypothesis is that is does better on the decay side of reproduction, it also has a low MMS and high CMS so it probably doesn't need much energy to get moving. So so far I'm finding high QMS drivers to capture the attack of a kick drum the best and low QMS drivers to capture the decay of bass string or drum better. Also remember that the QMS and RMS can vary with excursion. Full klippel reports on drivers show different values for small and large signals.

I've compared the step response of drivers on Hifi Compass and those with low QMS seemed to have a faster decay time. Maybe Audio Technology KAP woofers are the answer. They use a combination of kapton and aluminum voice coil formers. Kapton at low amplitudes and then aluminum for it's breaking effect at high amplitudes.

As far as why the HE sound better than the HF or UM it's probably a combination of factors. Higher QMS, greater motor strength and a bigger coil.

I'm not sure when Le becomes a problem. Heavy moving mass and Le start to limit the higher frequencies so I'm not sure how to separate them. The Dayton HE is definitely the deep bass king but in my opinion it can't play upper bass well, a string bass sounds distant and metallic. This is probably with notes at 100hz, higher than most would crossover so take this with a grain of salt.

I actually asked Eric at DIYSG if the magnum woofers have shorting rings and here's his answer
"The Magnum-12 was based off the 12" Eminence Definimax that did have a
shorting ring. I would have to look back at my original samples to be
sure, but I do think the Magnum has a shorting ring as well.

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-definimax-4012ho-12-driver--290-577

Erich"

I helped my relative upgrade 20 years of subwoofer technology. He replaced a Dayton titanic 1200 from 1999 with a Dayton Audio RSS315HE-22.

The HE is much more punchy and clean sounding but I took the Titanic home anyway for distortion measurements of it in the sealed box. I will only test this in the sealed box as that's what it was designed for.

Here's the max spl at 5% distortion measurements:
Frequency Spl of fundamental 2nd harmonic 3rd harmonic
16 76 -29 -25
20 70 -25 -32
25 61 -24 -41
31.5 52 -23 -35
40 84 -23 -44
50 110 -29 -25
63 110 -28 -34

attached is 60hz @80dB and 100 db

Attachments

• 60hz@80db.JPG
    60hz@80db.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 60hz@100db.JPG
    60hz@100db.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: 1 user
Shrub0,

very interesting thread. If crossing over at 80 Hz (to Altec 416-8b in closed boxes, with a horn above 800hz) and going sealed with two or three units each in <90l enclosures, which would you suggest for musicality/quality (more for pop than classical music), for under US $300 unit?

I have been looking mostly at LAB12s. I am not aiming at very low FR (no low HT effects, I guess decent response down to 30/35 Hz is more than enough) or at very high SPLs, I guess around 100, 105 max dB-A total FR SPL at listening level.

The Magnum is interesting. How did you use it with a passive radiator (which)? That one and the Tymphany XXLS-P830845 12" (which I believe you have not tested) are the other two that keep getting my attention too.

Swak, sounds like the making of a good system. Those altecs look very efficient in upper bass which is part of the reason why I liked the sound of the AudioTechnology woofers. You can't go wrong with running the labs up to 80hz this is a good range for them. The Dayton HE will give you more low end power than the lab but I think it's heavy cone will result in a sluggish sound right before your 80hz crossover.

I did enjoy the magnum (especially it's mid bass kick drum slam) in 3 cu ft with a ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/0-00 12" Subwoofer Passive Radiator. This gives a low tune of 17hz or so. You can read up on how the people on AVSforum like the magnum in a similar vented setup called the flex 12. I'm not sure on the availability of the magnum however as it's a custom run from Eminence. It might be worth sending and an email to Eric at DIYSG.

The SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8 12" Woofer is one of the woofers I really enjoyed with music (Morel and AudioTechnology are better but for a higher price) but I think what I like about the SB is it mid bass and upper bass and you will have most of the covered by your Altecs.

shrub0, I appreciate your reply. I did write Eric las night, and he wrote there was not enough interest and that he doubts that they will ever come back again. A pitty, I think, if it was a great 12" woofer.

I think I'll go with the labs (LAB12, not the C version). I like the fact that it is fine with a small sealed enclosure as I am distributing three units w/dsp to help tame room modes. I might even add a fourth one later one, but from what I've read, it might not be needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Mark, i saw your recent FB post comparing the XXLS 12 favourably against the L26ROY...

You mentioned 'the XXLS 12 having more 'impact and detail in part due to high BL'. How do you find the XXLS 12 compare to the RSS315HE, which seems to be the other driver that you have recently stated to sound very good, especially compared to 315HF.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Here's the link to the comparison: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DIYLoudspeakerProjecPad/permalink/1822301631458999/
It's actually still a 10" XXLS. There are so many factors to the sound of a woofer. There needs to be strong BL for the cone to rise quickly but a stiff or non-linear suspension and or high suspension loses can hold it back. But on the other hand drivers with more damping (lower QMS) seem to have a quick decay and can capture nuances on the decay side of things like a bass string that slightly changes pitch as it rings out (I noticed this with the AT Flex12). Maybe my peerless xxls 830842 has advantages on both the attack and decay because it has high BL, low suspension loses (RMS) and I run it in a QTC .5 sealed box, So the box I believe is helping it stop on a dime. There's is no free lunch as this system starts to roll off really early and even with room gain I'm not getting much below 40hz so EQ is needed for the low bass.

Comparing the 10" XXLS to the 12" Dayton RS HE the XXLS has more midbass impact and the RS HE has more deep bass impact and power. It seems so far I haven't heard one sub that does 20-100hz the best. Drivers like the RS HE excel at deep bass but play jazz with upright bass in it and it's no good. On the other end of the spectrum the SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4 really excels at 50-100hz. The closest to cover the entire range of 20-100hz is the Morel Ticw 1258 it has just a slightly less clean deep bass than the HE but it's midbass and upper bass are really good. The Morel can capture the full power of a Taiko drum which sends most drivers to shame.

I think it comes down to preference, to me the Seas l26roy rounds over the midbass impact compared to the XXLS, so If you are listening all day maybe you will tire of the XXLS blasting the peak hit of a kick drum.

Here's the link to the comparison: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DIYLoudspeakerProjecPad/permalink/1822301631458999/
It's actually still a 10" XXLS. There are so many factors to the sound of a woofer. There needs to be strong BL for the cone to rise quickly but a stiff or non-linear suspension and or high suspension loses can hold it back. But on the other hand drivers with more damping (lower QMS) seem to have a quick decay and can capture nuances on the decay side of things like a bass string that slightly changes pitch as it rings out (I noticed this with the AT Flex12). Maybe my peerless xxls 830842 has advantages on both the attack and decay because it has high BL, low suspension loses (RMS) and I run it in a QTC .5 sealed box, So the box I believe is helping it stop on a dime. There's is no free lunch as this system starts to roll off really early and even with room gain I'm not getting much below 40hz so EQ is needed for the low bass.

Comparing the 10" XXLS to the 12" Dayton RS HE the XXLS has more midbass impact and the RS HE has more deep bass impact and power. It seems so far I haven't heard one sub that does 20-100hz the best. Drivers like the RS HE excel at deep bass but play jazz with upright bass in it and it's no good. On the other end of the spectrum the SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-4 really excels at 50-100hz. The closest to cover the entire range of 20-100hz is the Morel Ticw 1258 it has just a slightly less clean deep bass than the HE but it's midbass and upper bass are really good. The Morel can capture the full power of a Taiko drum which sends most drivers to shame.

I think it comes down to preference, to me the Seas l26roy rounds over the midbass impact compared to the XXLS, so If you are listening all day maybe you will tire of the XXLS blasting the peak hit of a kick drum.
Thanks for the detailed impressions.

Did you mean the SB23MFCL or the SB34NRXL? How did you find the latter for overall 20-100Hz coverage, what are its strengths? .

i just got a pair of 34NRXL, and 2 pairs of XXLS 12 but they are not the ultra high motor strength version. Qes 0.5x range.. Still exceptionally low loss suspension...

I was referring to the SB23MFCL45-4 this 8" driver does really well with natural instruments where I think most content is in the 50-150hz range like lower bass strings and kick drums. However, It is limited below 50hz because of it's size. It also has low suspension loses 1.3 and low MMS 59g, It is actually one of my favorites in the mid to upper bass of the 20 plus or so woofers I've tried in the last couple of years. I'm not sure why it does well, I guess you really you have to look at the combination of all parameters. I've asked the manufacturer about it and they said the lightweight voice coil helps it play better into the midrange and it also has an optimized BL and suspension curve.

Thanks for the detailed impressions.

Did you mean the SB23MFCL or the SB34NRXL? How did you find the latter for overall 20-100Hz coverage, what are its strengths? .

i just got a pair of 34NRXL, and 2 pairs of XXLS 12 but they are not the ultra high motor strength version. Qes 0.5x range.. Still exceptionally low loss suspension...
To answer your question about the SB34NRXL75-8 I found it doesn't draw attention to itself it just added a solid foundation to the sound. At one point I had this in my test box and put the AT Flex 12 in next and I found them to sound similar with the AT being slightly cleaner. I would consider this SB and the AT to be one of the best for a pure music sub but the RSS HE and lab12c could do the very deep bass louder and cleaner with the HE having a slight advantage in the deep bass category. Since I am getting requests for subjective comments about the drivers I'll put together some notes I took when listening to the drivers in this test. Unfortunately it's only for 6 of the drivers.

Reactions: 1 users
Since conducting this test of 12" drivers I've been getting a lot of messages asking me to compare different drivers in a more subjective manner. I spent a day swapping in and out five of my favorite drivers and running them through a 26 song playlist. The playlist spanned genres from hiphop to chamber music. Most tracks were torture tracks that I noticed some drivers would stumble upon.

Attached are my notes from this listening test. It is hard to rate drivers this way but to me the Morel Ticw 1258ft would be the best all around subwoofer for music listening. The Morel is excellent at conveying the dynamics of a large Taiko bass drum like in the song "Wheels" by Jeremy Zuckerman but can also handle quick left hand slides on a bass guitar like in the song "Feathered Indians" by Tyler Childers.

Jazz listeners take note, the Audio Technology Flex 12 should be mentioned as it can convey the plucked string a of double bass like nothing else I've heard, but maybe has a bit too much braking with the aluminum coil former to capture the full dynamics of drums.

If my test tracks were deep bass movie scenes I suspect the Dayton RSS315HE with it's 25mm of xmax would come out on top as winner, since this test I've passed the Dayton on to my brother-in-law who uses it for movies, my four year old nephew is really afraid of the monster in the room.

Attachments

• SubjectiveSub.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 1 users
Like you, and so many others in here, I am looking for one, or two sub a to rule for music reproduction. Since that includes songs like The Flight of the Cosmic Hippo it has to dig deep.

So I'm thinking about my options again. Keep the PRV's and let them do the stuff 40 and up and and build something to plumb the depths below like an IB, Passive radiator or even a horn.

Or build something that can do it all.

What do you think? Sounds like your horn isn't quite audiophile enough for you.

Found this article about a decent passive radiator. I think I'd go with 12's though.
Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Introduction

Could the PRV's be made passive radiator with qts of .62?
Once again I am late to the party, only recently started up with building my speaker cabs again. Does anyone know where the article referred to above on building a 10" subwoofer is now located?

Thank you, I have been reading and rereading this whole thread and it is a wealth of info, Thanks again Shrub0 and all involved.

Thank you for link shrub0, I forgot about wayback machine. I checked youtube and saw lots of builds, a lot of em unfortunately for car audio thump boxes.

Based on the reviews here and your work, I bit the bullet and ordered a couple sb34NRXL 75 8 12. Madisound was down to one with long wait for more so I snagged a couple on ebay for a little more$. Should have em in a few weeks, if shipping goes well. Thanks again for all the work you put up on the forum.

Cheers