Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Driver F

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Driver G

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Breaking in A7.3

The A7.3 has arrived and has been installed in the test system for break-in as recommended by the manufacturer. I took some data before the break-in to compare with after break in to see if there is a measurable difference. Playing Norah Jones over and over at low volume (full range, no XO) for now...

478121d1429361393-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers-a7.3-xki-fast-photo.png

Btw, this is the only driver that I am putting through time-consuming break-in period.

Attachments

• A7.3-XKi-FAST-photo.png
    A7.3-XKi-FAST-photo.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 1,130
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I plan to show the measurement and the sound recorded before and after. I think a lot of break in may have more to do with the low frequency extension. Maybe others who have an A7.3 can comment. So in a FAST with a XO at 225Hz it may not be so obvious. But nonetheless I am breaking it in to ensure the best possible performance from this driver.

I boosted the volume up a bit from low to medium after first 24hrs.

xrk971,

It will be great if you can put a put a foam-core "ring" around the thick bezel of the Alpair 7.3 when taking the measurements - that will help maintain the flush-mounting that is recommended for MA drivers with thicker bezels.

On break-in, I recall a perceptible "opening up" of the sound for Fostex FE166EN drivers and MA CHR-70.2 roughly around ~30 hour mark. Those were some early ones I tried out, and afterwards I've usually done driver break-in out of earshot, so can't comment too much.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Zman,
Good point about the foam bezel for flush mount. I did not use the optional decorative bezel which would have made it extra thick. Although for the blind listening test I will make a foam core flush mount ring, the before break-in measurement was made without it so for comparison, the after break in measurement will have to be without the flush mounting.

So do I need to do 200hrs of break in? Seems like a long time. If you heard differences at 36hrs, maybe 48 is enough?

Zman,
Good point about the foam bezel for flush mount. I did not use the optional decorative bezel which would have made it extra thick. Although for the blind listening test I will make a foam core flush mount ring, the before break-in measurement was made without it so for comparison, the after break in measurement will have to be without the flush mounting.

Ok, but in that case can I request you to take one extra set of measurements with limited break-in (the few hours that you have on 'em now) with the foam core flush mount ring? Keep the data with you, might come in handy.

So do I need to do 200hrs of break in? Seems like a long time. If you heard differences at 36hrs, maybe 48 is enough?

It does seem like a loooong time, especially playing soft music! But hey - you like nice stuff like Norah Jones and smooth jazz, so time should fly past. :D

But after all, that is the manufacturers recommendation and not for me to comment/suggest otherwise. I'd say get as many hours as you can without holding up things too much, no pressure. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.