A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

To smoothly transition impedance you can accurately machine a profile in thickness in both materials, then glue them together, or (easier) you can interdigitate both materials so that the transition takes place on the X-Y axis rather than the Z.

I'd like to try something similar with 2mm acrylic and EPS. The idea is to mount an exciter to the acrylic and observe the hf response, then estimate by trial and error (or FEM? :)) at what radius to begin a transition (with triangles or smooth fingers). Sort of a physical crossover.

What's your reason for wanting to go from acrylic to EPS? To cover different frequency ranges? Another difficulty might be the mismatch of efficiencies,

I'm thinking more in terms of the impedance mismatch at the panel termination. How to terminate a panel with a fixed boundary (simple or clamped supports or in between) but avoid the reflection at the termination. Would a "quasi-clamped" perimeter work where the "clamp" was made of a wide band of very soft but high damping foam?

Maybe this is similar to your foam that varies from thin to thick.

Eric

Reactions: 1 user
They had a lyered approch with stepwise matching. Obviously there are some reflections in each step.
Thomas,
I would be interested in more details about specifically how you implemented the stepwise concept in your speaker.

Also, can you share how you made the Goebel "cuts" in your carbon/balsa panel. I would like to try that strategy myself.

Thanks,
Eric

Maybe not necessarily. One penalty of low stiffness is low efficiency, but what's the net effect if one direction is extra stiff and the other extra flimsy? Does the stiff direction more than make up for the flimsy direction? I don't know.
Presumably, having large anisotropy will influence the ideal aspect ratio to use for a panel, as the anisotropy will influence how the modal frequencies "interleave". So if you find a particular aspect ratio that works great for an isotropic panel, I wouldn't expect it to work the same for a strongly anisotropic panel.
Spedge seems to like the Proplex, which I suspect is strongly anisotropic. So apparently it's not a dealbreaker.
Presently I'm preferring panels with slight anisotropy (say 2:1 ish), but that's for a pretty particular case.
Eric
I also like the bendy 3mm ply from the crates, it is more efficient than the more rigid 3mm ply.
it also has a more vibrant sound ,but obviously suited for use in smaller panel designs.
If I remember correctly ,goebel said he used end grain balsa wood but also a flexible cloth and resin to maintain a small amount of flexibility in the panel ?
Steve.

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
I also like the bendy 3mm ply from the crates, it is more efficient than the more rigid 3mm ply.
I was looking for ply panels, and found this flexible or bendy plywood. Actually, I have one sheet taken off a very old cabinet, used as the backing, but it is quite dry, and cracks when I try to cut it. Maybe, I'll apply parquet oil on it to see, if it softens. I doubt it, though. Its still few months to summer. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't ignoring your request. Just took some time to get to it.

I started with MLTLs and did this one using the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 drivers.

View attachment 1129460 View attachment 1129461

My first DML: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/posts/5978255/

Sadly the images are gone from the link but here are some:

View attachment 1129469 View attachment 1129470 View attachment 1129471 View attachment 1129472 View attachment 1129473

My most recent DML is here, (and in the several posts immediately following)

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-as-a-full-range-speaker.272576/post-7121486

And here is a link that includes a few pictures of the carbon/fiber balsa panels (and frames) that never quite got built (yet).

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-as-a-full-range-speaker.272576/post-7049119

Eric
Nice build!
2 questions:
How have you attached the exciter to the frame is it flexible or fixed?
The black ribbons on the panel, what are they made of and how to they work?
Thomas

Thomas,
I would be interested in more details about specifically how you implemented the stepwise concept in your speaker.

Also, can you share how you made the Goebel "cuts" in your carbon/balsa panel. I would like to try that strategy myself.

Thanks,
Eric
I trying to find my notes from when I was experimenting with this it was in 2018.
But as I recall it, I spent quite some time to search and find different material to use.
I ended up with a stack
Panel CF
Aluminum
Wood
Tile fix cement based
plastazote I also tested with foam made of epdm.

one major flaw in the design is that the ”stack” is exposed thus generating sound as it is vibrating, ouch.
I intend to explore this further.

The cuts are copied from göbel and is cut using a coping saw with a very fine blade.

Nice build!
2 questions:
How have you attached the exciter to the frame is it flexible or fixed?
The black ribbons on the panel, what are they made of and how to they work?
Thomas
Thanks,

In both DML builds, there is a block of EPDM foam between the back of the exciter and the spine that connects the exciter to the foam. The foam has adhesive already on one side, and I added a thin pressure sensitive adhesive strip to the other side. I have been using the foam there just to give the connection a bit of compliance in case of some warping of the panel or spine over time. I can't say for sure if it's any better or worse than a rigid connection, but I don't really think there is much effect.

1673645395336.png

By black ribbons I presume you mean what's on the perimeter of the panel in the image below. That is simply the same EPDM foam (3/8" x 3/4"). Likewise I used some thin pressure sensitive adhesive to attach the back of the EPDM foam strips to the face of the frame. Similar to yours, I think.
Eric

1673644963982.png

Both panels use the ribbon, first panel ( bookshelf) is XPS 20 mm one side covered in bookshelf themed wallpaper , the other panel is stiff cardboard, I'm a bit torn between them at the moment, XPS has slightly better midrange and the cardboard has slightly better bass.
Cardboard is warmer more accurate (less coloration) sounding with less echo/reverb. XPS will sound more lively and dynamic with more coloration.

EPS has a slightly warmer tone then XPS.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Adding foam in back of the exciter magnet will change the sound because it adds damping properties. Not saying its good or bad as its personal preference but the sound will be different.
AF,
Could be. I concluded some time ago that it made little difference but I can't recall what tests I did or even if I really had any idea of what to look for at the time! I suspect the most of the reaction comes from the mass of the exciter, at least at high frequency, but where is that transition and what happens below it? I don't know.
Coincidentally, just a few days ago I was thinking about this question again. I began to prepare another test of that, but never really got started. Maybe I'll get back on that if I can't think of sopmething better to do.
What's your typical mounting like?
Eric

What's your reason for wanting to go from acrylic to EPS? To cover different frequency ranges? Another difficulty might be the mismatch of efficiencies,

I'm thinking more in terms of the impedance mismatch at the panel termination. How to terminate a panel with a fixed boundary (simple or clamped supports or in between) but avoid the reflection at the termination. Would a "quasi-clamped" perimeter work where the "clamp" was made of a wide band of very soft but high damping foam?

Maybe this is similar to your foam that varies from thin to thick.

Eric
Yes, to get highs which I’ve not seen from the thruster exciter with XPS. I have to try high density eps first, but I’ve seen on the Typical Ben channel he had a rising hf above 10k with acrylic.
I’ll be a bit scarce next few days as I have finally gotten Covid

AF,
Could be. I concluded some time ago that it made little difference but I can't recall what tests I did or even if I really had any idea of what to look for at the time! I suspect the most of the reaction comes from the mass of the exciter, at least at high frequency, but where is that transition and what happens below it? I don't know.
Coincidentally, just a few days ago I was thinking about this question again. I began to prepare another test of that, but never really got started. Maybe I'll get back on that if I can't think of sopmething better to do.
Eric
The idea of putting some type of foam dampening behind the exciter was from Shelly Katz Podium speakers in which he used it to tune the sound of his panels.

Using any type of damping behind the exciter will reduce reflections and make it sound darker. Its no different the Acoustic Room Treatments but instead of the damping material being on the wall/room its directly on the speakers magnet. This technique is even used on Open Baffle type of speakers that are to close to the wall.

AF,
Eric
My mounting is like yours except I use Epoxy adhesive if its going to be permenant but if temporary for experiments I just use double sided tape.