A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

So basically, reversing the phase on one speaker will cancel the pistonic radiation and hopefully leave the dml or bendingwaves intact.
Nice one.
I also thought so before this experience with comparative metering, but as you can see, the subtraction also occurs above the coincidence frequency, although not to such a large extent.

Reactions: 1 user
Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
I also thought so before this experience with comparative metering, but as you can see, the subtraction also occurs above the coincidence frequency, although not to such a large extent.
I suppose, Oliver Göbel also understood the Transverse Technology and implemented it in his own way, am I right? He may have a different name for that.

On video panels work together with PPD subs. They are not quite "Repole". You can read about them here . On their own, the panels provide a linear frequency response down to 50 Hz.
The SPL level in the room is around 75-80 dB during recording. Besides Taskam 05, I also sometimes use the Zoom H4n. But in comparison with Taskam, it records in low frequencies not so thoroughly. I am not an expert in sound recording and therefore I can hardly give you exhaustive advice in this matter.)
Thank you Alvipet.
The link is empty but with "PPD subs" I found your thread PPD subwoofer (Petrenko Petrushevsky's Dipole). I will switch to that thread for this topic.
Christian

Please also read Karavashkin paper to understand the Transverse wave technology. #8,175
@Alvipet graciously gave that link there. I couldn't find that myself.
When talking about DML/bending wave/flat panel speakers, the term "transverse wave" is typically used to describe the wave in the membrane, not the wave in the air that is created by the transverse waves in the membrane. A bending wave is a transverse wave. Transverse simply means the displacements of the medium are perpendicular to the direction of travel of the wave. In a bending wave speaker, the waves travel in the plane of the membrane, but the membrane itself is being displaced in the direction perpendicular to the membrane.

So in the usual meaning of transverse wave, in the context of flat panel speakers, every dml/bending wave/panel speaker can be considered to be using transverse wave technology. NXT speakers, Goebel speakers, Tectonics, DPK and all the rest use transverse waves.

The Karavashkin paper looks interesting, and appears to refute a common understanding about how waves can travel in gasses. But what is it that makes you believe that the "transverse technology" referred to by the DPK Transverse Wave Technology, is referring to transverse waves in the air, rather than simply transverse waves in the membrane?

I didn't see anything in the Herger patent implying anything special about the wave it generates in the air. What is the link between the Karavashkin paper and the DPK speaker other than the use of the term "transverse"? I'm not saying there isn't one, just that the link isn't clear to me. For now I'm inclined to assume the DPK meaning of transverse wave is referring to the wave in the membrane.

Eric

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
When talking about DML/bending wave/flat panel speakers, the term "transverse wave" is typically used to describe the wave in the membrane, not the wave in the air that is created by the transverse waves in the membrane. A bending wave is a transverse wave. Transverse simply means the displacements of the medium are perpendicular to the direction of travel of the wave. In a bending wave speaker, the waves travel in the plane of the membrane, but the membrane itself is being displaced in the direction perpendicular to the membrane.

So in the usual meaning of transverse wave, in the context of flat panel speakers, every dml/bending wave/panel speaker can be considered to be using transverse wave technology. NXT speakers, Goebel speakers, Tectonics, DPK and all the rest use transverse waves.

The Karavashkin paper looks interesting, and appears to refute a common understanding about how waves can travel in gasses. But what is it that makes you believe that the "transverse technology" referred to by the DPK Transverse Wave Technology, is referring to transverse waves in the air, rather than simply transverse waves in the membrane?

I didn't see anything in the Herger patent implying anything special about the wave it generates in the air. What is the link between the Karavashkin paper and the DPK speaker other than the use of the term "transverse"? I'm not saying there isn't one, just that the link isn't clear to me. For now I'm inclined to assume the DPK meaning of transverse wave is referring to the wave in the membrane.

Eric
Gas here is air. Karavashkin talks about waves travelling in gasses and in liquids. Remember, I mentioned few times, that as fish live in water, we live in air? Anyway, why not ask that question directly from @Alvipet? In the video in post #8,192 at 0.37 mins, you can see the DPK Sound logo on the speaker.

I'd be much happier to build a speaker type @Sandasnickaren had done, rather than Mescalitos or DPKs. :) Thomas is much upfront with his creation.

Last edited:
Please also read Karavashkin paper to understand the Transverse wave technology. #8,175
@Alvipet graciously gave that link there. I couldn't find that myself.
Gas here is air. Karavashkin talks about waves travelling in gasses and in liquids. Remember, I mentioned few times, that as fish live in water, we live in air? Anyway, why not ask that question directly from @Alvipet? In the video in post #8,192 at 0.37 mins, you can see the DPK Sound logo on the speaker.
I asked you because you are the one that said to read the paper to understand Transverse wave technology. I had the impression he shared the link as a favor to you.
But I'd be very happy to hear from @Alvipet or others on the topic.
Eric

I'd be much happier to build a speaker type @Sandasnickaren had done, rather than Mescalitos or DPKs. :) Thomas is much upfront with his creation.
Yes, fish live in water and we live in air. Who would have thought? You keep repeating that, but never get much further. I thought you were going to explain before New Years Eve, but as expected, you petered off again, only to return with another round of 'Fish live in water, and we live in air, by gosh! :ROFLMAO:

Eric
I haven't read the Karavashkin paper yet (link was blocked by my ISP), but my understanding is that 'transverse wave' is normally reserved for shear waves where the displacement is perpendicular to the panel, as distinct from bending waves where there is rotation involved. Could it be he means shear wave?

Last edited: